PDA

View Full Version : V3 prehunt field set-up?

Fire Fighter 43
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I would like the V3 users to comment on your in the field set-up before you start to hunt. What do you check before you start to hunt, what is your sequence when doing the checks and making the adjustments.
Here is what I do:
1. Choose my program (coil in the air)
2. Adjust Rx Gain until it gets unstable, I then reduce my Rx gain one or two numbers.
3. I adjust my frequency offset to the most stable setting (I do this with trigger pulled and frequency off set zoomed so the adjustment is live.)
4. I adjust my discrimination up until it gets noisy then I back it down 2-3 numbers.
5. I ground balance and check the area I just used to ground balance to make sure it was clean of metal. If it was not clean I look for a clean area and reground balance.

I then start my hunt.

Does anyone use the two probes and how do you use them in your set-up? Do you take a VDI ground reading and adjust your accept reject range or the wrap function if you are in correlate mode.

CyberSage
04-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Sounds like you have a good procedure there. You might want to choose a moderate Rx Gain and then adjust your Discrimination Sensitivity up until you get false responses. Back it down a bit and then increase your RX up a little at a time. Even with A V-rated coil I rarely hunt with an RX above 10 or 11. Discrimination Sensitivity is far more important for depth than RX Gain. I have found deep coins with an RX of 7 or 8 many times. Use the Probe function from the zoomed Sensitivity Live Menu to get an idea of recommended RX as well. I ground balance often even with Autotrac enabled. I always check my battery level before leaving the house so there is no surprises when I get to the hunt location.

Then right before I start swing'in I turn around 3 times, kiss my lucky Mercury Dime, and finally I hum the Raider's Of The Lost Ark theme while riding my detector like a horse back and forth over the hunting area. lol lol lol

Just kidding about that last part. :crazy: I don't realy have a lucky Mercury Dime.

Jack

BHNugget
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Then right before I start swing'in I turn around 3 times, kiss my lucky Mercury Dime, and finally I hum the Raider's Of The Lost Ark theme while riding my detector like a horse back and forth over the hunting area. lol lol lol

Just kidding about that last part. :crazy: I don't realy have a lucky Mercury Dime.

Jack

lol lol lol

Lowjiber
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Jack

rofl rofl rofl

rcsnake
04-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Jack

Hmmm maybe the dime is part is left out but what about the rest of the ceremony. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

rcsnake

CyberSage
04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I am very sorry Fire Fighter! I did not intend to hijack your thread. I apologize. I think this is a good and important topic to share here on the forum. Lets share our pre=hunt routines. I should also mention that I usually take the time to do a visual inspection of the coil, cable and connector to make sure things are snug and in place.

Indiana... uhh... I mean Jack :cheesysmile:

BHNugget
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Ive heard it through the grapevine that snakes prehunt routine involves certain pastries.Well,maybe any pastries. :grin: lol

rcsnake
04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Ive heard it through the grapevine that snakes prehunt routine involves certain pastries.Well,maybe any pastries. :grin: lol

Only at times, lol

Back to the thread what I usually do is start on with my basic program that I use and adjust offset for emi if required and then lower the Rx gain if further adjustment is required.

Then I do a ground balancing of the instrument by using the enter key and the trigger. Once balanced I check it by going into the pinpoint mode and listening to how much the threshold changes when the loop is raised and lowered to the ground slowly. If acceptable then I start hunting. If not I will try another spot to accomplish a proper ground balance.

I usually set the ground balance to loc trac when i am hunting as I will just ground balance the instrument when required and this can be checked by entering the pinpoint mode and raising and lowering the loop.

Then once a deeper target is located I will try different filer setting and see which filter will give the best response on said target. Speaking about filters us the Bandpass filter may help with emi as opposed to the high pas filters. The filters will only be used when hunting in the disc mode and not the all metal mode as all metal mode does not use these filters,

As far as the recovery delay goes I use a setting between 40 and 120 depending on the amount of trash in the ground with the smaller number being for trashy sites and the larger numbers for wide open areas. The recovery delay is for the disc mode only so this where this is adjustment is need to be adjusted when hunting in the disc mode.

Then the SAT speed is for the all metal mode, if I am hunting in all metal or mixed mode I usually set this to around 10. However if I am just hunting in the disc mode I do not worry about this setting as it has no effect in disc.

Dang guess I got rambling again and a little off topic so I will stop now. HH

rcsnake

zrickkid
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Could you give me that start up routine in laymans terms. It just sounds too confusing because I have no idea what you are talikg about!