PDA

View Full Version : Two-Cent Park gives up another bucket list coin for me today!

Tony Two-Cent
10-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I had to work yesterday (Saturday) so I was looking forward to a marathon day of metal detecting today. I couldn't have asked for better weather, it was absolutely gorgeous today! High of 72 and not a cloud in the sky, and the fall colors were simply breathtaking.

So of course I went back to Two-Cent Park (formerly known as Barber Park). The very first coin I dug today was a silver Rosie, so that ended the streak of Barber Dimes from this park. Not long after that I found a 1943 Mercury Dime, then a 1905 Indian Head. A little later I found a 1916 Barber Dime for my seventh Barber Dime from this park, then a 1913 Buffalo Nickel.

I took a short lunch break, and when I returned to the park I decided to try hunting with my sensitivity in Manual and set at 27. I usually hunt in Auto +3. Well, I think this made a noticeable difference. Even though I was hunting in an area I had previously covered, I started finding deeper Indian Heads that I had missed previously. I ended up with six of them for the day.

By this time I had been hunting for about six hours and I decided to work my way back to my car and call it a day. I got a somewhat iffy deep signal that had a repeatable tone but the numbers were a little jumpy. After I got the hole opened up to about 8 deep the target probe was giving me a steady 12-46 at the bottom of the hole. I was thinking that it was going to be a silver dime. After I got some more dirt loosened up I saw a silver quarter in the hole, so I got my video camera out. I had not found a silver quarter at this park before, and this was a deep one so I wanted to get it on video. When I first got the coin out of the hole I didn't recognize any features of a Washington, SLQ or Barber quarter. After I got a little water on it I saw right away that it was my first SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER!

It's an 1876 which seems to be a common date for Seated Quarters. It has an S mint mark and is really worn but I still love it! What a great way to end a beautiful day of detecting!

Have I told you how much I love this park? :happy:

Here are today's finds:

And the keepers:

Six Indian Heads today, that makes a total of 26 from this park!

The 1892 Indian Head was in pretty good shape:

This was the seventh Barber Dime from this park:

And the highlight of the day, my first Seated Liberty Quarter!: :smitten:

That makes two coins scratched off of my bucket list in as many weekends. I feel very fortunate to have discovered this park. It is an hour away, but definitely worth the drive. thumbsup01

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Thiltzy
10-21-2012, 07:31 PM
:omg: What a great hunt! Man Tony, I wish I had generous parks like that to hunt. Some of those coins have great detail

Congrats on your first seated quaker...thats a great find. BTW your pictures are so crisp. What camera do you use?

dave in iowa
10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
What a hunt , great finds ,i found my 1st seated quarter last year , aint it great , what a thrill, great hunt |:cheering:

Epi-hunter
10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Wow Tony, that is fantastic!!!! :perfect10: :perfect10:

I sure am glad I talked you into getting that E-Trac lol |:cheering: :clapping: |:confused:)

z118
10-21-2012, 08:01 PM
The things I would do for a day like that... I don't even want to think about it. Congrats!

BHNugget
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Great hunt Tony, congrats on the seated!! :congrats: Some of those indians youve been posting look so nice! You said youve been running in auto 3 and went to manual 27. What has your sensitivity been running on verage in auto 3?

Tony Two-Cent
10-21-2012, 08:40 PM
BTW your pictures are so crisp. What camera do you use?

I'm still using my old 4 megapixel Sony DSC-S85 digital camera that is about ten years old. I have to admit that it has been a real workhorse. I've put it through a ton of abuse and it still works like new.

What a hunt , great finds ,i found my 1st seated quarter last year , aint it great , what a thrill, great hunt |:cheering:

Thanks, Dave! I'm still on Cloud 9! http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Smilies/cloud9.gif

I sure am glad I talked you into getting that E-Trac lol |:cheering: :clapping: |:confused:)

SO AM I! In all seriousness, back when I was looking for a new machine it was your comments that steered me to the E-Trac! Thank you, Angie! thumbsup01

The things I would do for a day like that... I don't even want to think about it. Congrats!

I used to say the same thing when I read Angel's hunt reports! This is definitely a hobby where perseverance pays off! Just keep at it, your day will come, my friend. :yes:

You said you've been running in auto +3 and went to manual 27. What has your sensitivity been running on average in auto +3?

It would vary at this park. In some areas it would stay around 25 or 26, in other areas it would drop down to 21.

buck57
10-21-2012, 09:39 PM
:wow: Holy crap Tony, fine job man. :congrats: You must be the only detectorist in your area. Beautiful looking coins. I'm still waiting for my first Indian Head Again, :wow:

aloldstuff
10-22-2012, 04:53 AM
:wow: a seated quarter, huge congrats. Tony, that park is fantastic. Some of those coins have great details left on them. :congrats: on a great pile of keepers

POKIE73
10-22-2012, 06:13 AM
boy i would think that it would be hard to leave a park like that like one other member said you may be the only other detectorist there or at the very least you are the best one there congrats on another great hunt places like that that keep producing the coins that you have found are few and far in between dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

wild willy
10-22-2012, 06:21 AM
man tony your begining to look like someone else in this forum and it begins with a. willy

CODY
10-22-2012, 06:40 AM
:wow: :wow: :wow: What a haul! :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: Tony, you the MAN!!!! Wow, congrats on your first seated quarter. I can only dream of finding such a coin. Congrats on all your awesome finds. I'm sure there are more to be found in that park. :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Another awesome hunt Angel, er, I mean Tony! Congrats on finding that quarter. I want to be just like you when I get older! :poke:

pulltabsteve
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
OUTSTANDING :clapping: :perfect10: Congrats on all those beauties Tony! |:cheering:

Mudder
10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I would say that it was luck, but I really know better than that. Great job Tony :perfect10:

milco
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
:perfect10: Congrats Tony, to you on the great finds and the continuing success at this park! I agree, well worth the hour drive to get all that stuff. No idea, but I am guessing this is a small town rural park and those are always the best and often very productive, WTG and congrats again!

jkress
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
:perfect10: Sure makes for a short drive home with a Seated quarter on the front seat!! :smitten:

Awesome bunch of coins again Tony, especially the quarter. :clapping: You sure have one heck of a gem park there.

Good luck on your next hunt. Hopefully another nice first will come up... perhaps a 5$ coin? :->

Tony Two-Cent
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
You must be the only detectorist in your area. Beautiful looking coins. I'm still waiting for my first Indian Head
To be honest, I don't see many other detectorists around here. (But I'm not complaining!) There are plenty of Indian Heads out there just waiting for you to find them! thumbsup01

A seated quarter, huge congrats. Tony, that park is fantastic. Some of those coins have great details left on them.
Thanks, Al! Yep, this park has been a great discovery for me, and the soil there is very kind to copper coins.

boy i would think that it would be hard to leave a park like that like one other member said you may be the only other detectorist there or at the very least you are the best one there congrats on another great hunt places like that that keep producing the coins that you have found are few and far in between dennis
Thanks, Dennis! In a way it was hard to leave, but on the other hand I couldn't wait to get home and clean up the seated quarter so I could take photos of it and share it here.

man tony your begining to look like someone else in this forum and it begins with a. willy

lol Thanks, Willy, but I've got a loooooong way to go before I'm in Angel's league! :yes:

Wow, congrats on your first seated quarter. I can only dream of finding such a coin.
And I can only dream of finding a Morgan Silver Dollar! :drool:

Another awesome hunt Angel, er, I mean Tony! Congrats on finding that quarter. I want to be just like you when I get older!
Thanks, Dave! You mean when you get old, fat and bald? lol

OUTSTANDING :clapping: :perfect10: Congrats on all those beauties Tony! |:cheering:

Thanks, Steve! I owe it all to a good machine and dumb luck! :yes:

I would say that it was luck, but I really know better than that. Great job Tony
A good portion of it is luck, actually, plus spending a lot of hours behind the coil. I just happen to love metal detecting even when I'm not finding anything, the thrill of the hunt is still exciting to me.

Congrats Tony, to you on the great finds and the continuing success at this park! I agree, well worth the hour drive to get all that stuff. No idea, but I am guessing this is a small town rural park and those are always the best and often very productive, WTG and congrats again!
Thanks, Darren! Yes, it is a small town with a population under 1,000.

Sure makes for a short drive home with a Seated quarter on the front seat!!

Awesome bunch of coins again Tony, especially the quarter. You sure have one heck of a gem park there.

Good luck on your next hunt. Hopefully another nice first will come up... perhaps a 5$ coin?
Thanks, Joe! Yes, this park is quickly turning into my all-time favorite site. It helps that the townsfolk are so friendly too. Finding anything good? I get that a lot. As for my next first? I'd settle for a shield nickel or a fatty indian head. :yes: But a $5 coin wouldn't be bad either! lol

Here's a short video of the Seated Quarter coming out of the ground:

First Seated Liberty Quarter Metal Detecting with my Minelab E-Trac! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZ2-vvxlkk#ws)

Viking
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I've been out of commission for awhile now (first child), and when I left, you were just starting to pull in some quality finds (you were in an area with tons of Buffalo Nickels if I remember correctly). Not much earlier than that, you were brand new with the E-trac (I got mine around the same time), so to see you pulling in these incredible finds is very inspiring! You're a detectorist to be reckoned with!

Keep up the amazing job! :perfect10:

giant056
10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Wow what an awesome hunt you had there Tony thumbsup01 big congrats on all them beautiful coins, especially your first seated quarter! I still haven't found a seated quarter yet myself, I did managed to find me a seated half and many dimes. I still haven't found the seated half dime yet either.

RaZR
10-24-2012, 03:05 PM
What chew gonna do when the list gets so small it's all just gold coins? I would guess you'll be posting pictures of your gold coin finds. 8/
:omg: :congrats: :congrats: on finding a seated quarter dude! And it's the same date as the one i found this year (and scratched all up with my lesch) :girlcry:

I'm like Buck57 i still haven't got a single I.H. from the ground. I got one from the lake!

You have been doing awsome lately really putting that E through it's paces. G/J and G/L

coop
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Sweet!!!!!!! :waving:

CTX Tom
10-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Way to go on the seated quarter! That's a wish list one for sure!

Ill Digger
11-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Well I've seen ya sense then. lol But I never gave you a shout on here.
Man thats one heck of a hunt! Even if you didn't find the Seated quarter, and vice-versa ! :twirlingeyes:
I mean look at the verity :wow: And a nice big seated silver sitting on top! :grouphug: |:cheering:
Again... Congrats! :grin:

swamp yankee
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on the great finds and keep hitting it till you get 'em all! SLQ's on my list too,just haven't hit the right place yet. Looks like you have a whole tribe of injuns there and in class A shape too! H.H.....

Fire Fighter 43
11-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Congrats on another great find. It is one that has eluded me. WTG |:cheering:

JTGOLD
11-06-2012, 09:07 AM
:congrats: on your first and nice looking barber too,you should just about have a compleat set of IH now |:cheering: wtg on all the nice finds Tony.