PDA

View Full Version : Got out today with Dan & George.

John M
04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Got a chance to tag along with Dan and George as they headed on down to my neck of the woods today.Had a nice sunny day as we headed on into the woods to find a few sites that was on the other side of a stream.After a few minutes of thought as to if we were going to cross the stream we ventured forward.I'm pretty sure you will see the stream crossing later on.The sites we did find were pretty well worked over but they did give up a few things.I did manage to find a few buttons,a thimble and a hard times token.The token is unique in that it is not made out of copper but most likely was made out of pot metal.It almost has the look and weight of aluminum. The examples that I have found referencing it are all copper.Although the finds weren't many I had a good time enjoying the company.
Thanks guys for the good day.We will have to go back some time to find the other sites that the nice couple mentioned.
Here are some pics.

John M
04-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Example of token made out of copper is first pic. and some of the finds cleaned up.

del
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
yeah John definately had a good time , you did well at that site considering it was pounded to death . great token , i'm wondering if it was counterfiet or what. the highlight of my day was watching you guys cross the stream lol lol :poke: :poke: rofl rofl made my day
was it just my machine or did yours act just a little strange at the first site too. :confused: :confused: we'll have to do it again and look for those other sites as well.fun time man . ;)

George and i traveled down close to John's area today and swung by and picked him up and then headed for the woods for some cellar detecting . parked the jeep and headed down an old dirt road that i knew crossed a good size stream to get to the sites
. but the question was is there a bridge or would we have to get our legs and feet wet :shocked04: lol lol . well when we get there
the stream is really flowing from all the recent rain looks pretty deep to and the only way across is a long telephone type
pole log about 25 feet or so long spanning about 4ft over the stream :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:.talk about 3 guys hum'in an haw'in about going across with thousand dollar machines in there hands. lol rofl it was a funny sight lol lol reluctantly we went across , John first
(i didn't get a shot of him that time) then i ( i used a different method than those two :rolleyes: :tongue:) lastly Coinnut (George) you can see his reaction when i took the camera out to get him comming over.besides calling me a few choice expletives :rolleyes: lol lol
and that i suck he managed across ;). boy was i laughing so hard the picture came out a little blurry. lol rofl rofl

we hit a smaller colonial with tons of area but it was hammered to death and wasn't alot to show for our troubles fording the stream
and we had to cross it again.this time i got both of them in action comming back across :grin: :cheesysmile: :tongue:
we finished the day at my very first cellar hole i went to and i got lucky and scored an old pewter shoe buckle frame :yes: if it wasn't for that i'd be pretty much skunked for the day . hey thanks for looking and Happy Easter to ya all.

Dan

angellionel
04-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Cool finds, john. I like that hard times token. You guys were out on a beautiful day too.

Those are great photos, Dan. lol I think I can see the panic in George's eyes while crossing that stream. lol

John M
04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Dan that frame buckle is a nice one.
Thanks for posting them action shots :ticked: :ticked: :angry: :angry:.......If I was part Sasquatch like you I would of just lumbered over as well you big show off.I don't know if that site got pounded over the years by many people or if someone camped out there but it was pretty well cleaned up.Well i guess some days you get the peanuts and others it is just shells.
Next time we meet up I will bring along my pair of Capped Busts from the farm field.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-03-2010, 05:53 PM
rofl that pic of you guys crossin the stream is a classic! rofl nice day out!
i just got and can't post my stuff till later.seated dime,barbers,ih's and a big copper.i think it is! :confused: gitta go install a rug be back in a few hours :tongue:
nice finds you guys and a very amusing thread!
happy easter guys

Epi-hunter
04-03-2010, 06:02 PM
rofl rofl rofl Those are classic photos Dan. rofl What is the matter with you guys.... can't you swim? That stream looks like it would make for good swimming rofl rofl

Beautiful day, and it must have been a lot of fun. :) I love that token.... very old and unique, better than a coin! (don't shoot me for saying that Angel lol )

angellionel
04-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I love that token.... very old and unique, better than a coin! (don't shoot me for saying that Angel lol )

At least now I know that you will just throw the mercs and Barbers back. lol I'll be walking behind you to collect them. :cheesysmile:

del
04-03-2010, 06:26 PM
rofl that pic of you guys crossin the stream is a classic! rofl nice day out! very amusing thread!

no Dave just them crossing , they didn't know i moonlight as a tightrope walker in my sparetime . lol lol lol it was very enteraining to say the least. :grin:

rofl rofl rofl Those are classic photos Dan. rofl What is the matter with you guys.... can't you swim? That stream looks like it would make for good swimming rofl rofl

Angie that stream was cold and if it ain like bathwater i'm not swimmin lol lol

anyone see how large Georges coil is on that e-trac , jeez if he had two he could of flap them up and down and flew across that stream lol lol lol

Epi-hunter
04-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Angie that stream was cold and if it ain like bathwater i'm not swimmin lol lol

I took lots of gymnastics (balance beam, and all that). If I had been with you I would have walked across, then laughed at you three straddling the pole rofl rofl

At least now I know that you will just throw the mercs and Barbers back. lol I'll be walking behind you to collect them. :cheesysmile:

I won't throw the ugly ones back. I'll re-bury them twelve inches deep, just for you. lol

coinnut
04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok so the old guy had his fun :rolleyes: lol I can't help it if Del has no kid left in him. He works you real hard on these trips, so John and I had enough and decided to have some fun. One of these days Dan, you should learn to relax a bit and play rofl It was fun, except for the nails in the pole :shocked04: rofl rofl Even though Dan decided to bypass Dunkin Donuts this morning, His strategy failed. I had a good day after all. And never doubt my shield nickel guesses :beatdown: ;) These sites were hit harder than most, but everyone leaves something. First shots are from my Thursday hunt. I saw in an old part of town, the grass from the sidewalk to the road was scooped out to about 4 Perfect lol that leaves all the silver for me. Guess not. :rolleyes: Today's first hunt I got a shield nickel, some buttons and an old Eagle piece, although I don't know what it goes to. :confused: Second hunt, got a '20 & '21 Wheat and a war nickel and odds and ends. That compact is opened just for you buddy...enjoy lol HH everyone

sniffy
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
That token is awesome! And how nice of that tree to lay it self down for you kiddos to cross. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-04-2010, 03:31 AM
holy crap look at the size of that coil :shocked04: on G's machine! you and john both coulda surf boarded across the river on that thing! rofl :poke:
Dan!!!!!!! if you lose track of G while he's wandering you can just follow the 3 foot wide weed whacked path through the saplings that he just left swingin that thing :shocked04: whoa!!!!
John that's a cool token to say the least. looks like you all had some fun!

John M
04-04-2010, 06:01 AM
George that Eagle really cleaned up nice.That is an awesome piece and the most unique find of the day.
I guess we just have to let Dan have his fun with the pole crossing.One of your buttons did turn out to be a coin,Congrats.
Hey maybe Dan took the same gymnastics class with Angie and was the best at the beam.

John M
04-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Hey George was searching around looking for your eagle and came upon this.Could possibly be some version.
http://www.civilwarpreservations.com/catdet.asp?TargetItem=MR370&CategoryType=relics

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
ah ha!!!!! i see your keeping pace in the colonial memorial race too! :tongue:

xzlr8n
04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Your motto should be: Will TREK for TREASURE . Looks dangerous but fun!! Great weather for hiking and it paid off with some good finds!! Congrats thumbsup01

coinnut
04-04-2010, 04:12 PM
holy crap look at the size of that coil :shocked04: on G's machine! you and john both coulda surf boarded across the river on that thing! rofl :poke:
Dan!!!!!!! if you lose track of G while he's wandering you can just follow the 3 foot wide weed whacked path through the saplings that he just left swingin that thing :shocked04: whoa!!!!
John that's a cool token to say the least. looks like you all had some fun!

rofl One of these day's you guys will learn to appreciate me lol Who else would entertain you and still be your friend :confused: If you think that coil is big, try swinging it for 13 hours ;)

George that Eagle really cleaned up nice.That is an awesome piece and the most unique find of the day.
I guess we just have to let Dan have his fun with the pole crossing.One of your buttons did turn out to be a coin,Congrats.
Hey maybe Dan took the same gymnastics class with Angie and was the best at the beam.

Thanks. I didn't think much of it until some of the mud started to dry and expose the details. I guess we will have to let little Danny have his fun :rolleyes: but I just can't get that horrid picture of Dan in tights doing the balance beam with Angie out of my mind rofl rofl sorry..... rofl rofl rofl rofl Peace Daniel ;)

Hey George was searching around looking for your eagle and came upon this.Could possibly be some version.
http://www.civilwarpreservations.com/catdet.asp?TargetItem=MR370&CategoryType=relics

It has some similarities, but mine doesn't have any evidence of being able to be attached, unless the brazing let loose from the back. I'm thinking horse harness material and leaning toward using thin leather straps (strings) to tie around it, in a X pattern and attach it to the horse somehow. Until someone who knows how it's attached and what it is, I'm sticking with that story lol We both had a good hunt my friend.