PDA

View Full Version : Back to the park today & strange happenings with my Garrett pin pointer

ChrisinCT
10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Yesterday I left my gloves at the park Lee took me to where I found my two cent piece.

So this morning I called Lee seeking permission to go hunt his park while I go about finding my gloves.

Lee was more than happy for me to give it a go and even said he would come out for a bit before he had to go to work. He said I didn't need to ask his permission that it wasn't his park but just the same there's nothing worse than a spot jumper.

I figured I would try just off the parking lot on the way to the swings. The most heavily pedestrian traffic area in the whole park. Sure lots of junk,but always a goodie in the mix.
Some of my best finds have been in the place where you would think every metal detector has gone over, but I wonder if others think the same and stay away from it?

While no old coins I managed a few bucks in clad and my first silver necklace.You got to love the look of silver sitting in the dirt second only to gold.

I easily dug fifty pull tabs in search of my first gold. Today wasn't the day but noticed that more than half the pull tabs are the old tear off beaver tails which in my mind is a good sign that while the coin shooters may have gone through the area the gold hunters have not.

I got in a conversation with one of the park and rec guys and he was telling me about a couple other old parks and also an old school that is closed down.

I figured I would take a ride and check them out when I went past the school I told myself I'll give it ten minutes If I don't find anything Ill leave.

Turns out the school wasn't that old built in 1949 but old enough for silver and wheats.

After about eight minutes in I get what I thought was a promising hit a solid 76+ VDI at seven inches.

The ground was made up of clay it was like digging butter with a hot knife. My Lesche sank to the hilt with no effort at all.

I get to seven inches,use the Garrett pin pointer it's telling me to dig straight down no tones from the side of the hole.

I dig down another couple inches in seconds and repeat the process.

It's telling me down but more to the side.

Once again I take out another couple inches but now the tone is coming from the bottom of the hole and also the sides.

Obviously I'm getting halo from something but being the ground is so easy to dig I'm gonna see what it is if I can but sometimes locating the position of whatever is casting the halo isn't easy without digging a four foot round hole. I wasn't gonna commit to that.

I dug down once more and off to the side and take a good amount of dirt out. I'm about up to my elbow in the hole I stick the pin pointer down it starts sound off like normal but than changes to what can be best described as a car alarm type noise.

I have owned this pin pointer for three years have never heard this noise.

I pull my arm out of the hole and the noise continues, so I shut it off and restart it and everything is fine. I stick it back in the hole and again the same strange alarm sound.

At this point I just gave up on whatever was down there , filled the hole and went home.
Anyone know what this storage noise was from?

del
10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
thats pretty strange to hear about your pinpointer Chris :confused: :confused: wish i could help you with that ( i'm not to familiar with that pinpointer) the jewelry piece is pretty interesting |:cheering:

aloldstuff
10-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Wish I could help you out with the pinpointer problem. Nice necklace and did you ever find your gloves:huh::huh:

RaZR
10-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Mine did and does that sometimes. I find that a nice new battery or charge up the rechargable if you're using one.
And sometimes it's an overload from something large that's deep. I hit a metal gas shut off cover about 18 down at the old high school. lol

Nice find on the necklace! Is that a cocaine holder on it? :dontknow:

Diggler
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Yah that happened to me once a couple years ago. Turns out it is from an EXTREMELY low battery. I think it is using the very last bit of juice, as a distress call to the user, I need a new battery!. Freaked me out too but when I asked around sure enough a couple others had the same experience. No worries your PP is not broken. :happy:

RobW
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
:yes: Dead battery :yes:

ChrisinCT
10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
To answer a couple of questions that were asked.

I didn't think the battery was that low I put one in about a month ago but have been doing a lot of detecting. That's good to know.

I did find my gloves. I forgot to mention that.

Is it a cocaine holder? It was empty. >:(

Diggler
10-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Garrett is really big in the security industry. It is possible that a cocaine detector is built into the circuit of the Propointer, but I don't know anyone other than you who has tested that feature. :twirlingeyes:

Rob L
10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I also have a Garrett pin pointer,never had that problem. But if I do get that, I think I'll just go by my detector and probably widen the hole. Usualy when a detector sounds off there is something there. If you ever get back there see if you can find that signal again. Who knows there could be something good there.

Epi-hunter
10-25-2012, 08:08 PM
It looks like a nitroglycerin pill fob necklace. Some of my patients wore those.

BHNugget
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Ive heard it makes that noise when in close proximity to a mason jar full of Morgans and Double Eagles. :grin:

dalewestaby
10-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Thats an urn necklace! For dead people ash of pets or loved ones

dalewestaby
10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
i know several people with ones that look just like that, usually they glue the clasp shut

CODY
10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Battery. Nice finds.

ChrisinCT
10-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Thats an urn necklace! For dead people ash of pets or loved ones

Well I'm very happy it was empty.

carl2112
10-26-2012, 02:57 PM
out standing looking necklace !!! my pin pointer does that often i have to turn it on and off to get the falsing to stop and if i push the tip too hard into the dirt it will start falsing then too. ive changed the battery but that doesnt seem to solve the problem and it doesnt do it all the time my pointer is only about 9 months old and its been like that since i first got it. i know i should send it in but i cant live without it now. my warrenty is up in feb so ill send it in once the ground freezes