PDA

View Full Version : Door knocking is for the birds.

ChrisinCT
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm running out of ideas on places to hunt near me so I went door knocking today.

I hit six farms and one house

I got a I cant because I let hunters use it and wouldn't want the two mixed.

One I need to ask my husband.

One I need to ask my brothers and sisters.

One come back on Monday and talk to John

One its a co op so I need to talk to some people but that won't be to after Halloween .

One can't you read the no trespassing sign , just go home.

One I would but my brother has already detected it so your not going to find anything.

This door knocking is more exhausting than metal detecting.

Not that I would ever do so but it's no wonder guys just go without permission.

It's easier to take the chance you'll get caught and thrown out than it is to gain permission.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, it's frustrating, but six places isn't really that many. And if I'm counting correctly, you only received one outright no.

I would keep track of the I need to ask someone responses and get back to them so they know you're serious. For the hunting response I would have asked if it was okay to do so during hunting off-season (that's the only time I ever had permission to hunt rural wooded properties in Iowa, and it was perfectly understandable). For the my brother already detected it response, I would have said something like you're probably right, but do you mind if I try? perhaps with some statement about how you just like detecting for the hobby itself and do not necessarily have to find things.

It's easier to take the chance you'll get caught and thrown out than it is to gain permission.

Except it's not ethical. Or legal.

Not sure I agree with this anyway. You might end up being formally charged with trespassing... or worse, getting shot at by a homeowner. I used to own a lot of farmland and rural homesteads in Iowa (still own a few) and if I had ever caught someone detecting on any of them without permission, I would have called the police and charged them to the full extent of the law.

Keep at it. :yes:

aloldstuff
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Chris....Chris....Chris. Come on now, its not that hard. Only six houses is nothing. I myself was denied just this morning. The guy actually said that what was in his ground should stay there. OK have a nice day. Next.

Please don't go the route of no permission hunting. Nothing good will come of it.

A few questions for you. Are you introducing yourself to the homeowners? Are you wearing a shirt with a collar? Clean shavin? I've been in sales longer than most people have been breathing and what they say about that 1st impression is so true.

carl2112
10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
ive thought about no permission hunting and ive always chickened out the risk isnt worth the reward ive also heard of some state land or maybe federal land that will confiscate your machine if they catch you and thats a rish i cant afford to take

OxShoeDrew
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I agree with Epi-Hunter. :yes:

ChrisinCT
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I was frustrated today when I posted this.

The guy that told me to go home bent me out of shape.

Just say no don't be a jerk about it.

Its not just six but six today. I.dont get it, it's not like I'm a shady looking person but I keep asking and either get straight a straight no or the blow off I need to find out but them never suggesting for me to come back for an answer.

Please don't misunderstand what I wrote I will never hunt any property without permission.

I did it once at a 1783 vacant house. It sat there empty for two years I drove by it lusting over the prospect.

One day I couldn't stand thinking about it so often. So I went, I was there a total of five minutes I couldn't relax and enjoy myself and was feeling like a criminal so I left. I didn't find anything and am happy about that because had I took something I would be a thief.

Ill keep knocking but what I think I need is a cockney accent. Just like someone else around here. Seems like people fall over themselves to give him permission Why I think they throw coins out on their lawns so he don't go away empty handed. :cheesysmile:

I won't mention any names.

CyberSage
10-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Try older properties in populated areas. People who live in the country are not as trusting of strangers in my experience. Now, I have met some very trusting folks out in the boonies, so this is just blanket statement that does not always hold true. I have much better results in town. My approach is to ask permission to hunt the parkway strip only. This will often lead to getting to hunt the whole property. Take some finds, and your detector with you and show them what your looking for, and what you use to find it. If nothing else be pleasant, and enjoy the walks through the old neighborhoods. Once you make a friend, they can help you with other neighbors in the area. Good luck!

Jack

RobW
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
It can be frustrating...but it's a lot like detecting...the more holes you dig, while most are trash...you get some good keepers too. It's all numbers. Apparently you are not married and use to being told NO lol

Keep on knocking thumbsup01

Wisconsin Lockman
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
In Wisconsin if you get caught for Criminal Trespass you end up with a $274.00 Citation and a criminal record. Not something I would try.

dave in iowa
11-06-2012, 07:08 PM
determination is the key
i think, i live in a small town and i know about everybody,,, yards have been easy for me to get in my town,,,,,, but i see your dilema..... keep tryin ...... i have sometimes asked to hunt the strip in between the street and side walk and that led to permission in the yard

Paul in NJ
11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
The problem you run into is that people are suspicious of anything that might be a scam, even if they don't know what you might be scamming.

I come from a marketing-and-sales background, so I'd do it a little differently. I'd knock on the door, introduce myself, and have a handout for them. Our club has one; it explains the hobby a bit, has our Code of Ethics, and such. I'd explain what I wanted to do, and try to put them at ease.

If they seem unsure, I'd ask them to take a look at the pamphlet and let them know that I might come back at a later date to ask again.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, I might add my name and town as well. Couldn't hurt.

swamp yankee
11-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I've found being clean/well dressed/spoken/showing 1800's stuff to the folks(bought them at coin shop to test detector) gets them interested in the pitch to start. If it gets to the hard sell part,I show my c.c.p. in Wa./Or.to prove I'm legit(no criminal record period) and it usually wins the day/permission.I hate to grovel/beg but I love the hobby so I do it. I tell them I split 50/50 if needed to clinch it....