PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Shield Nickel today, plus other goodies...

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm running late getting ready for a Halloween party, so I'm going to have to post the photos and run.

Today's finds:
(5) Indian Heads
(2) Wheat Cents
(2) Shield Nickels (I think both are 1868)
(3) V Nickels
(3) Buffalo Nickels
(12) Jefferson Nickels
(1) Mercury Dime 1916 plain
(1) Barber Dime 1903-O

All from the same park I've been hunting lately where I previously got the two-cent piece and seated quarter.

I also found a few neat relics, I'll add more photos later.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Tony, what a great selection of nickels. Thats some great hunting, lots and lots of keepers. Hope you went to the Halloween party dressed as a metal detectorist...... :hysterical:

Epi-hunter
10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey there Tony Shield-Nickel :poke: lol

You sure have found a great spot to exert your metal detecting skills. I continue to be amazed at what you have been finding. Great job as usual! :perfect10:

milco
10-27-2012, 05:29 PM
:wow: Wow, Tony! That park is really productive and you are scoring big there, in addition to the fantastic year you're having! Congrats on the great finds and I can't wait to see the relics and the coins cleaned up! :->

AmxFred
10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice! :wow: :congrats:

skribnodsister
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
:wow: Tony, you've gotten a lot of nice finds from that park and I'm sure you will find more there! Congrats on your first Shield Nickel and all your other coins. :perfect10:

POKIE73
10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
you seem to be on a mission the last few weeks another one off the list congrats on all your finds what a great hunt you had dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

giant056
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Holy Cow Tony what a nice haul you got there thumbsup01 big congrats on all them great finds and you got another first!!!

BHNugget
10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Tony, thats quite a collection of coins again!! With all the nickels your pulling in, I wouldnt be surprised to see a gold ring in your future posts. Beautiful coins and I especially love the injuns, we just cant seem to pull'em out of our area. |:cheering:

coop
10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Nice digs!!!!!

Tony Two-Cent
10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks, everyone!

As you can probably tell, I was making an effort to concentrate on nickel signals on this hunt. I just knew that there had to be shield nickels in this park and I was determined to find one. I was pretty excited when one finally came out of the soil! I didn't realize until I got home that I had actually found TWO shield nickels! One of them was pretty smooth and I just assumed that it was a V Nickel. I cleaned it up when I got home and looked at it with my glasses on, and I was surprised to discover that it was another Shield Nickel. I guess if you're going to find your first shield nickel you may as well go ahead and find two of them! lol

I never realized that shield nickels are smaller in diameter than other nickels. Shield Nickels are 20.5mm diameter, all other later nickels are 21.2mm.

I think the date on both of them is 1868, at least as far as I can tell.

Nickel Grand Slam? Sorry, it's the best I could do. I couldn't find a war nickel to save my life, which seems to be an ongoing thing for me this year for some reason.

Here are some of the relics I found. The first is a sterling silver pendant that looks like it may have a small piece of turquoise in it. On the other side is the initial A. I wonder how old it is?

This horse's head is really heavy like it may be made out of lead. Too bad the rest is missing.

Small enamel 4H pin:

Not sure what this is? Maybe you guys can help. Some kind of suspender buckle maybe? I really like the design on it. It looks old to me.

milco
10-28-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd rather find shield nickels than war nickels anyday, I'm sure you would too, but that would have been awesome to also have found one on this hunt. Cool and interesting finds, last item is part of a buckle for sure, probably early 1900's because it seems to have iron as part of it. The earlier ones seem to be of all brass/copper. Cool stuff! I bet I know where you will be hunting next weekend!

Ill Digger
10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
:wow: Well, well, well! The bucket has got to be getting about empty at this rate Tony! lol
Your ripping through your bucket list pretty fast here in the last couple of weeks! :yes: thumbsup01
Thats one fantastic hunt!
Even the non-coin finds are cool! Specially the silver pendent! :cool: :clapping:
Congrats! :grin:
:thinkingabout: So what's the next one to scratch off the list? :dontknow: :->

CODY
10-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Awesome finds Tony. :perfect10: :perfect10: Congrats

Tony Two-Cent
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
The bucket has got to be getting about empty at this rate Tony! So what's the next one to scratch off the list?

Still plenty left in the bucket, Tim! Here's the bucket list I wrote up at the beginning of this year. I listed them in the order of most likely to find at the top. Turns out I was mostly right, I found a seated dime in January. The ones highlighted in green are the ones I have found so far this year.

I'm not optimistic enough to put gold coins on my bucket list. lol

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Bucket-List.jpg

dave in iowa
10-29-2012, 11:01 PM
wow , what a great hunt and what a great park you have to hunt |:cheering:

Ill Digger
10-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Still plenty left in the bucket, Tim! Here's the bucket list I wrote up at the beginning of this year.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Bucket-List.jpg
<} Man! You weren't kidding when you said you had a bucket list! lol

I'm not optimistic enough to put gold coins on my bucket list. lol I am! lol :yes: Here's one I made up last year.

I'll try to put them in order.
Top 10 list:
1) Gold coin (any denomination)
2) Spanish silver (any denomination)
3) Silver dollar
4) Trime (3 cent silver)
5) Half dime
6) Standing Liberty quarter Found one! 4-5-2011
7) 2 cent piece Found one! 1-31-2012
8) Officers belt plate
9) a nice big old brass skeleton key Found one! 4/29/11
10) some nice gold jewlery
Another one down! :happydance01:
Not much has changed. But I've knocked off a few. :dontknow: lol

Tony Two-Cent
10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
<} Man! You weren't kidding when you said you had a bucket list! lol
I am! lol :yes: Here's one I made up last year. Not much has changed. But I've knocked off a few. :dontknow: lol

I'm not sure if I've ever shown this here on the forum before. It's the 1808 Spanish 1 Real that I found in 1985 while metal detecting with my dad in his hometown of Xenia, IL that dates back to the 1830s. My first and only Spanish silver, found in the yard of a private residence that belonged to one of my dad's co-workers. Who knows if I'll ever find another.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Real-1808-Obv.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Real-1808-Rev.jpg

Ill Digger
11-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever shown this here on the forum before. It's the 1808 Spanish 1 Real that I found in 1985 while metal detecting with my dad in his hometown of Xenia, IL that dates back to the 1830s.
:shocked01: Uhhh no \:hammer: I don't think you've ever shown that before :envious:
And you found that in Illinois? [attachimg=1]
I didn't think that was even possible! lol I'm sure they're out there. Just few and far in between. :daydream:
Nice find Tony! |:confused:)