PDA

View Full Version : Silver Dimes, IH's, Large Cent

angellionel
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Yesterday John (midas) and I detected at two local areas, but I skunked out on silver. I did find about a dozen wheat cents, a few dated in the teens. John picked up one nice 1935-D mercury dime before we called it quits at about noon.

Today I decided to take a drive to one of the Connecticut parks to see if I could coax a few old coins out of the ground. I did better this time, picking up six silver coins - two Barbers dimes, dated 1901-O and 1907, three mercury dimes, dated 1916, 1918-D, and 1945, and one Roosevelt, dated 1947. I think it's wishful thinking, but while examining the 1916 mercury dime with a 10X loupe I seem to be able to make out a leading edge of what may be a 'D'. But like I said, it's wishful thinking. :bummer: I hate when I find them so worn out. :bangahead02:

Anyway, I also dug up two Indian Head cents, dated 1889 and 1898, a large cent (I am having trouble making out the date. It appears to be 182?), and a sterling silver ring.

This one makes my 9th large copper this year. :grin:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/April/largecent_040310.jpg

The old silver dimes do make for fun finds.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/April/silverdimes_040310.jpg

I like the design on this sterling silver ring.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/April/sterlingsilverring_040310.jpg

There are 19 wheat cents and two Indian Head cents in the pile.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/April/wheatcents_040310.jpg

HH!

CyberSage
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
That's a great ring Angel! While gold is more valuable I often enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into some Silver rings. I don't find much gold, but my Wife has dipped into my silver ring collection several times and claimed some neat ones. The Silver count is going to be great this year for you. Congratulations on another nice hunt.

Jack

del
04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
what you got skunked out on silver the first day :shocked04: :shocked04: say it isn't so Angel , say it isn't so . :bangahead02: :bangahead02:
well it could of been worse i guess , didn't have to make yourself shimmy across any poles over streams to get to the
park did ya :lol: :lol: :lol:.
congrats on regrouping and taking the silver the next hunt my friend. good looking ring by the way. :thumbsup01:

Dan

Epi-hunter
04-03-2010, 06:44 PM
That is truly an ugly merc :lol: :lol: Sorry, I had to say it. The barber on the right is even kind of ugly (never thought I'd find myself saying that :confused: ) but the rest of the coins are beautiful! Congratulations on a very nice weekend :)

Nine large coppers? Sooooooo... how is that copper race going G and D? ;) I would truly love to have a photo of Angel, Dan, and George clinging to that pole over the stream :rofl: :rofl: That would have to go on the home page for sure :rofl:

BTW, that is a very nice ring. I like it. Have any plans for it? :grin:

angellionel
04-03-2010, 06:47 PM
That's a great ring Angel! While gold is more valuable I often enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into some Silver rings. I don't find much gold, but my Wife has dipped into my silver ring collection several times and claimed some neat ones. The Silver count is going to be great this year for you. Congratulations on another nice hunt.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. :)

Some of the designs on the sterling silver rings can be quite intricate. I can't blame your wife for wanting to take a few from your collection. :yes:

what you got skunked out on silver the first day :shocked04: :shocked04: say it isn't so Angel , say it isn't so . :bangahead02: :bangahead02:
well it could of been worse i guess , didn't have to make yourself shimmy across any poles over streams to get to the
park did ya :lol: :lol: :lol:.
congrats on regrouping and taking the silver the next hunt my friend. good looking ring by the way. :thumbsup01:

Dan

:lol: :lol:

Those photos of George and John making their way across that stream are really funny. You guys must have had a blast out there. :)

Thanks, Dan!

That is truly an ugly merc :lol: :lol: Sorry, I had to say it. The barber on the right is even kind of ugly (never thought I'd find myself saying that :confused: ) but the rest of the coins are beautiful! Congratulations on a very nice weekend :)

Nine large coppers? Sooooooo... how is that copper race going G and D? ;) I would truly love to have a photo of Angel, Dan, and George clinging to that pole over the stream :rofl: :rofl: That would have to go on the home page for sure :rofl:

BTW, that is a very nice ring. I like it. Have any plans for it? :grin:

Hey! Leave my merc alone! :bop: I love them all. :smitten: :lol:

I bet you I would be the one getting dunked in that stream while attempting to crawl my way to the other side. :lol: :lol:

I was going to clean up the ring and put it away with the others I have, but I can send it to you for your collection if you like. :)

coinnut
04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I'll try not to hijack this thread and talk about the river pole crossing :rofl:. It may take weeks, but I'm sure Del can get it out of his system :rolleyes: :crazy: Nice hunt Angel. Lots of silver and a pretty cool ring too. You know, there are people out there who can slice the "D" from another Merc and attach it for you on the 1916. :lol: The weather has been cooperating lately. Gotta take advantage of it!

angellionel
04-04-2010, 07:08 AM
I'll try not to hijack this thread and talk about the river pole crossing :rofl:. It may take weeks, but I'm sure Del can get it out of his system :rolleyes: :crazy: Nice hunt Angel. Lots of silver and a pretty cool ring too. You know, there are people out there who can slice the "D" from another Merc and attach it for you on the 1916. :lol: The weather has been cooperating lately. Gotta take advantage of it!

You know how it is when you find a 1916 mercury dime. You say a prayer before turning it over to see if there is a 'D' on it, then if there is soil obscuring that area, you say another prayer before removing it. :lol: I have found quite a few of them, but none with the D mintmark. :bangahead02: I'll keep trying though. :cheesysmile: :lol:

John M
04-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Nice silver finds Angel once again,and it is good to here you didn't have to play around the water hazard.

CTDirtFisher
04-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Angel, you Rock! Thank you for posting your finds and all that you share here... :-)