PDA

View Full Version : 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

milco
11-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks to Tim and Tony for the ID on this one. This thing is pretty toasted but my cleaning efforts are starting to reveal some details. I am hoping some more of the stubborn green stuff will peel off yet, without loosing too much of the nice green patina that I can see in some areas. This was found directly under where the sidewalk slab was, about 6 inches down, so it has lived in a very harsh environment for a very long time. The neighborhood where this was found dates to the 1880-90's, so this coin was no doubt very worn when it was lost or may have even been brought in in some fill when the area was build up. I guess I'll never know, but it's amazing to me to think about the history behind this coin and what it's travels must have been to get to where I discovered it. I sure am fortunate to have recovered this huge copper coin, probably one of my favorite coin finds to date since I started in the fall of 2008.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

from www.coinhoarder.ca (http://www.coinhoarder.ca)
[attachimg=3]

Tony Two-Cent
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
It sure is a great find, Darren! I can definitely see the results of your cleaning efforts, especially on the obverse.

It is a beautifully designed coin with a lot of interesting symbols on it. :smitten:

The credit goes to Tim for identifying it, I just agreed with his assertion. thumbsup01

swamp yankee
07-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks to Tim and Tony for the ID on this one. This thing is pretty toasted but my cleaning efforts are starting to reveal some details. I am hoping some more of the stubborn green stuff will peel off yet, without loosing too much of the nice green patina that I can see in some areas. This was found directly under where the sidewalk slab was, about 6 inches down, so it has lived in a very harsh environment for a very long time. The neighborhood where this was found dates to the 1880-90's, so this coin was no doubt very worn when it was lost or may have even been brought in in some fill when the area was build up. I guess I'll never know, but it's amazing to me to think about the history behind this coin and what it's travels must have been to get to where I discovered it. I sure am fortunate to have recovered this huge copper coin, probably one of my favorite coin finds to date since I started in the fall of 2008.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

from www.coinhoarder.ca (http://www.coinhoarder.ca)
[attachimg=3]
Milco, Fantastic job on the restoration of this coin! Looks like you found your true calling as a conservator,I'd never believe they were the same.....