PDA

View Full Version : group hunt in RI

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-05-2012, 07:56 AM
me & gary(foundationhunter) made a trek to RI to a couple sites that Scott had gave us the green light to try.met up with Dan,Brian & Jim.slow going and not too many targets.nobody pulled any coppers but was a fun day none the less.a few keepers. 1875 IH,a pocket watch thingy with a stack of wheat motiff on both sides and a colonial dandy button.I forgot to get a group picture >:{
my date on pics got screwed up had to reset it when i got home

chief5709
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Had a blast with you guys Thanks!!!

Fire Fighter 43
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt, the charm thing is an interesting find, WTG |:cheering:

ChrisinCT
11-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Nice finds.

What's a dandy button?

del
11-06-2012, 03:38 AM
great pictures Dave , was that the cellar of the barn area?? we'll do it again the next time your out Brian , i was beat when i got home but i had a good time as well.it was great to meet Brian ,Gary and Jim for the first time .

i didn't get much either but i'll post them here later today , i still have to clean that compass to really see if its a nice one .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-06-2012, 07:14 AM
great pictures Dave , was that the cellar of the barn area?? we'll do it again the next time your out Brian , i was beat when i got home but i had a good time as well.it was great to meet Brian ,Gary and Jim for the first time .

i didn't get much either but i'll post them here later today , i still have to clean that compass to really see if its a nice one .

Dan

the pic was the mill site Dan.the pocket watch thing looks a tad older than victorian do you agree? :thinkingabout:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Nice finds.

What's a dandy button?

it's a large coat button Chris.
this link shows a few pics of the button used during that period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

aloldstuff
11-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Some nice finds Dave. I love dandy buttons. Unfortunately where I hunt they don't pop out that often.

del
11-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice finds.

What's a dandy button?

Chris its a large (atleast quarter-sized to silver dollar-sized ) fancy designed button , most of the time they had hand-tooled motifs ( sunbursts , pinwheels , circles ect) and at one time were either gold or silver washed or gilted. its always a rush to pull one out of the dirt because the George Washington inuagural buttons are around the same size so your always hoping to see an eagle or centerGW in an oval.