PDA

View Full Version : new member from utah

budkingjason
11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
>{ hi everyone. im looking for my first metal detector and am in need of some advice. lots of advice, about my first detector and technique, best places to go. any advice any one has is appreciated and welcomed. this is something ive wanted to do since my great grandpa and grandpa used to take me out as a kid. now ive got a little money and some time and a job that takes me all around the country. im feeling lost with all the reviews on line and different websites. need real peoples input that know what they are doing. anything will help, like i said i havent even bought my first metal detector yet. please help!!! thanks.

Tony Two-Cent
11-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jason! Glad to have you here! We would certainly be glad to help you any way we can. As far as your new metal detector, here are some things to consider:

1. How much money do you want to spend? You can get a basic entry level machine for $100, or a nicer used detector for around $200, or a new mid-level machine for $300-500, or a more advanced machine for $600-$2300 and up. What is your budget range?

2. What kind of hunting are you most likely to be doing? Coinshooting in old parks? Relic hunting in fields? Jewelry hunting along beaches or in shallow water?

If you can answer these questions we can try to steer you in the right direction and give you some options on detectors. I went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I was getting back into the hobby and looking for a new detector. Lots of confusing information on the internet!

budkingjason
11-07-2012, 11:09 PM
thanks for the reply tony two cents, want to spend less than a thousand but want a good one. im looking to do all things. want to find coins, gold, relics, anything old in the ground fascinates me. under water, beaches i want to experience it all. my work will give me a wide variety of locations to look for all kinds of stuff.

budkingjason
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
sorry for pronouncing your name wrong tony. please forgive me :)

budkingjason
11-08-2012, 12:25 AM
just bought a minelabs safari, found it right at my max spending limit i wanted to spend, did i do ok?

Lowjiber
11-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Welcome to your new obsession and the forum from southern Nevada.

Tony Two-Cent
11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
just bought a minelabs safari, found it right at my max spending limit i wanted to spend, did i do ok?

Yep! That should be a great machine for you! In my opinion you can't go wrong with Minelab's FBS technology.

Congrats on your purchase! Please keep us updated on your progress, and tell us about your first hunts and finds.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Ill Digger
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:
I agree with Tony.

Yep! That should be a great machine for you! In my opinion you can't go wrong with Minelab's FBS technology.

I have been quite interested in the Safari model for sometime now. :thinkingabout: Yes , please let us know how you like it. :yes: :->
And please, please share some of your finds with us here! We love pictures! :drool: :smitten: :daydream:

Fire Fighter 43
11-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. The Safari is a very good machine I think you will be happy with your choice. Just take some time to learn all you can about the detector and practice with some targets. Do not get discouraged if you do not find the goodies your first few times out. Even us veterans have a learning curve when we switch detectors.

As far as places to hunt it can be anywhere people gather. Remember you can not find old stuff in a modern park so have an idea of what might be in the ground before you hunt it. A little research goes a long way and will save you time and frustration. I personally like private property, for me, it tends to produce better finds. But remember to ask for permission and to follow the treasure hunters code of ethics, which you can find here.
http://www.fmdac.org/about/codeofethics.htm
Good luck and happy hunting

aloldstuff
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Welcome from western MA. Glad to read that you have choosen a detector. I have a good friend that lives in Salem, UT. are you close....Looking forward to your future finds and beware of the addiction....

CODY
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to AD. Fire Fighter 43 gave you the best advice you can get. Learn your machine. Dosn't matter what machine you use, they all talk to you. Our job is to learn what they are saying. This can't be done overnite. Take your time. Become one with your machine, and the force will be with you. Will be looking forward to your post and finds. Most important thing..... Have Fun! HH

del
11-10-2012, 10:11 PM
hello and welcome Jason , i wish you all the best with the new machine and hope you find some great things to post.

Dan

jkress
11-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Welcome to our group Jason. Thanks for choosing to join us. :clapping:

The Safari is a very nice machine. :yes: It will definitely let you know when you get over some nice keepers... especially if
you learn it in and out. :yes:

As Al said, FF43 gave you the golden ticket. I'll add to swing it slow. It's tough to do so... but very well worth it. :->

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
SarariScott obviously swings a safari. He can help you out getting started. I hope you enjoy the site. :waving: