PDA

View Full Version : Letter Opener turned out to be a Fighting Knife

buck57
11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi all. On an early post Vintage Wax Seal I also had a pic of all my finds for the day from the old closed down Military School, including a picture of what I thought was a letter opener. Del and ALOLDSTUFF and a few others thought it could of been a dagger, well it turned out to be a Fairbairn-Sykes Double-Edge Fighting Knife. Had an retired military employee from the school look at it this morning and a member of the Detecting Scotland Forum, both thought it could of been this knife. After pulling it up on google, the spec's matched to a tee (see pic's below). They started making them in 1942 in the United Kingdom. So you never know what those unsure treassures are until you have a few knowledgable folks look at it. good hunting everyone, thumbsup01

cbrown
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
nice.i find i have as mutch fun finding what it isas finding it.

buck57
11-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Your right cbrown. I always say, my unusal finds I always get me a two-fer.. You first find your treassure with the detector, then you find it again (I.D. it) on Goggle.
Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01

aloldstuff
11-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Glad to see that you got your ID on that knife. I have to agree with you about finding items twice. If it weren't for this forum I would have a stack of items that I would no idea as to what they were.