PDA

View Full Version : How do you hunt saltwater with the Atpro?

roamingusa
11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm wave lashed and stumped :confused:

dalewestaby
11-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Same here, mine went crazy

Lowjiber
11-11-2012, 08:22 AM
I see you posted this in the General Forum too, but I'll comment here.

A while back, another member asked for some advice getting started in the black art of hunting beaches. He got some pretty good advice and tips here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=8892.msg100273#msg100273

Take a look at the link. It may help you out. :yes:

In your other post, you mentioned that you're losing targets and asked if you need a pinpointer. I assume you're talking about in the water. If so, the answer is NO. I've never seen an experienced water-hunter use a pinpointer.

Get a good, sturdy, long-handled scoop like the one I'm using in the attached picture. It needs to be sturdy enough to push with your foot. (The pic below is not in the water, but demonstrates the proper technique.) Add a small rare-earth magnet to the bottom that will catch a lot of iron targets, like hairpins, from slipping out.

Hunting in the surf is difficult enough, but one tip that works for me is to recover targets with my back toward the surf. It's minor, but helps a lot.

roamingusa
11-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much I can't wait to try again! Never thought to use a magnet 8/ i made a sand scoop out of pvc it works great in th dry sand but now i think it's time to upgrade.

roamingusa
11-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I tried it again ur tips were very helpful! excited to try it again, was realy hard (need a scoop)but i found a pulltab :grin: GB between 17-35 worked well and sensitivity 4-5 bars. Thanks to you i don't get angry at the water and head to dry sand!

Lowjiber
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Glad it's working out for you. Don't worry, you'll be plenty mad at the water over the years. lol

roamingusa
11-15-2012, 06:35 PM
lol

SeabeeRon
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey John, nice picture, I remember that hunt!! |:cheering: :waving: