PDA

View Full Version : club hunts/ geting permission

sjv
04-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Love going on hunts with a bunch of other detectorists. I might have 2 good spots picked out. Just have to make contacts. Sometimes its easier when you tell the owner that the club has Insurance and will make a donation. Thats if I cant get permission for just myself or a couple others to join me. Ones a 1800's farm and the other dates back to the 1700's. One owner is younger( 30's), the other is 84. Any tips how to approach them and get them interested? I seem to get No alot , even before I explain my passion for the history, the love of for the hobby and explaining the Metal Detectorists Code of Ethics Iv'e even told them its there decision about what to do with what I find. I guess some people think your going to dig big holes and mess up the yard, that's why I like it when they have farm land. Can't do any harm there. One lady stoped us along a dirt road( Del,Myself and this guy Chris) and told us the property was private and that we were stealing. Her and her husband supposedly said they knew the owner but couldn't produce any info and the next time we went back there was a No trespassing sign. Probably put up by her. Why can't people mind there own business? :angry:

magic
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I have found it difficult to get permission myself at times. I usually send my girlfriend alone to the house to talk with them while I wait in the car...this seems to work almost every time! If I am doing someones house, I never go with more than two other people. Any more than three people tends to make people nervous.

sjv
04-08-2010, 05:27 AM
lol Just like me, except I always have my wife ask for directions when we are out of town or state. Have you asked her what she says? There must be something that works for her. Let me know ,ok? Some guys say to dress good and be friendly . Tell them that your doing it for the love of the hobby/ that your interested in history . I Guess some people think your going to ruin the yard and keep all the goodies for yourself. Look at it as if someone came and approached you. It's like detecting a field, hit or miss.

tanacat
04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I have found it difficult to get permission myself at times. I usually send my girlfriend alone to the house to talk with them while I wait in the car...this seems to work almost every time!

Good idea! I wonder if it really makes a difference being a woman- I've had plenty grumpy people say NO WAY and lol one woman literally said 'HELL NO'

Some guys say to dress good and be friendly . Tell them that your doing it for the love of the hobby/ that your interested in history . I Guess some people think your going to ruin the yard and keep all the goodies for yourself. Look at it as if someone came and approached you. It's like detecting a field, hit or miss.

Yeah, I hate hearing NO... I try to explain the process- I dig a neat plug with a knife, use a towel, you'll never know I was there. Some people watch the first couple holes just to 'make sure' lol

sjv
04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Yea the best thing is to find the older beat up houses, hopefully with a field. Old house re-done with nice grass is almost certainly a NO! If its beat-up,how much can they actually care about the yard or the house for that matter, unless there is a Beware of Dog sign out front. lol

hoser
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I always look at the lawn first at any potential site. If it is well taken care of or sod I don't even ask cause I know what the answer will be. UNLESS...I know that person then it is different. But like you said, if its not well taken care of you might have a lot better chance to hunt there.

coinnut
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Yea, and not to mention the fact that well manicured lawn usually had tons of top soil added to make it pretty lol Memorials are down 7+ inches :ticked:

del
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Yea, and not to mention the fact that well manicured lawn usually had tons of top soil added to make it pretty lol Memorials are down 7+ inches :ticked:

and if their there , your the man that finds them my friend. :tongue:

hoser
04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
rofl :poke: :poke: :bop: :tongue: You two really should try to get along. rofl

del
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
rofl :poke: :poke: :bop: :tongue: You two really should try to get along. rofl

we do Hoser , this is just a little pre-detecting weekend bantering that we participate in to get the competitive rivalry
fired up. lol lol
the real fun is on saturday ;)

hoser
04-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Del you don't have a pocket full of copper washers do ya. :shocked04: rofl

coinnut
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Del you don't have a pocket full of copper washers do ya. :shocked04: rofl
\

No, them washers are the discs he finds, that he's been calling coppers :rolleyes: He must have had his Wheaties, since he is all fired up :ticked: Hope he can calm down a bit and get some rest. Maybe one day he'll be able to detect past 2PM. rofl :poke: :poke: Back at ya pal. :cheesysmile:

tanacat
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
lol you guys crack me up~~~ have fun this weekend! Like I have to tell you ;)