PDA

View Full Version : COLONIAL HOME HUNT*WTBY CLOCK PAY CHECK*SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
today I headed back up to a house me and forino pulled some coppers out of on a previous hunt..i forgot my dang camera sorry about that. :rolleyes:
anyways after a 3 hour hunt only 2 keepers.one is a 1919-D mercury dime the other neat thing is a huge dollar sized token so i thought .my first thought was WOW continental dollar!!!!!!!!! :shocked04: :drool: until i started cleaning it.
it has the Waterbury Clock Co logo on front center.around the perimeter on front it says*no advances* orders accepted*pay weekly*
on the reverse it has 308 in center around perimeter it says Waterbury clock co*pay check*
any ideas? was this a tag a worker turned in at the end of the week to get his paycheck? i'm trying to get in touch with waterbury historian to find out some info on this piece.
have a great week all!
dave

magic
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Nice going. You may be right about the pay token...I find some from around here at the polk canning factory that dates back to the 1910s and that was the way they were paid.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice going. You may be right about the pay token...I find some from around here at the polk canning factory that dates back to the 1910s and that was the way they were paid.

damn so the guy that lost this was out a weeks pay at that time? sad :crying02:

Epi-hunter
04-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Great hunt! Love that token... can't wait to hear more about it!

angellionel
04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Very nice hunt, Dave. I think if that had been a Continental Dollar we would not have heard from you for three days. You would have been out cold from the shock. lol It is still a very cool find, with some interesting history behind it apparently. :yes:

coinnut
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Continental Dollar rofl I wish it was :yes: Then you could retire for the year. Nice hunt Dave. That Merc looks nearly uncirculate on the front, but the back must have been weekly struck. But a good looking Merc, none the less. In a big factory, I wonder if that was a form of ID use to identify people they might not know, when paying them. Also was a receipt of payment. If the owners had the coin, you were PAID! Would love to know how that worked. Nice hunt thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Continental Dollar rofl I wish it was :yes: Then you could retire for the year. Nice hunt Dave. That Merc looks nearly uncirculate on the front, but the back must have been weekly struck. But a good looking Merc, none the less. In a big factory, I wonder if that was a form of ID use to identify people they might not know, when paying them. Also was a receipt of payment. If the owners had the coin, you were PAID! Would love to know how that worked. Nice hunt thumbsup01

the back is nice on the merc,just a bad pic i guess.i called and left a message to this cathy lady at the timex museum in wtby,i was told she's a wealth of info on wtbuy clock history.left her a voice mail and hope to hear what she has to say about this piece.

Ill Digger
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Another steller find Dave !! thumbsup01
A friend of mine found a pay check token once and didn't know anything about his either. :confused:
Can't wait to hear about how it was used .
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Another steller find Dave !! thumbsup01
A friend of mine found a pay check token once and didn't know anything about his either. :confused:
Can't wait to hear about how it was used .
Congrats :grin:

well the lady at the clock museum responded and she never even see anything like this.she's stumped.she is going to look into it and get back to me

coinnut
04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
well the lady at the clock museum responded and she never even see anything like this.she's stumped.she is going to look into it and get back to me

Now she won't sleep until she finds out what it is lol Hope she can come up with something. That one will be a hard one to figure out without someone's historical help.

hoser
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Now thats a very cool find and the fact that you are doing the research to find out more on it is outstanding. I love it when you make a find that may open up oppertunities for further research. Sometimes thats more fun than making the find in the first place. Congrats my friend. BTW, nice merc too. thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Old houses and cellar holes are not safe when you are around Dave!! 8)