PDA

View Full Version : Tony Two-cent and I went on a 4-day MDing road trip to Ohio

Full Metal Digger
11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey Diggers,

I had a great adventure this last weekend. I met up with Tony Two-Cent (TTC) and we drove from Illinois to Ohio and back (914 miles). MDing the whole way. Our plan was simple...we had no plan! We just started driving and following the old routes looking for old schools, parks, and farm houses. If we saw a place that looked promising we just stopped and started MDing!

The first day we barely made it out of Illinois. We detected at several old schools and sidewalk strips. We both found some nice older coins as well as a ton of modern coins. We finally crossed the state line well after dark and got some dinner and lodging in Vincennes, Indiana.

Day two was sunny and warm with temperatures getting up to the low-70s. We visited a large very old park (Gregg Park) in Vincennes and were very disappointed to not find any coins. I think we both got a modern dime and that was it for 1 hour of MDing. TTC suggested we drive around the old part of town looking for maybe another park. Soon we spotted an old elementary school and decided to try there. Finds were few and far between but we were getting some wheat pennies.

I decided to work the 3-foot wide sidewalk strip in front of the school and found a couple wheat pennies right away. I worked the entire block and just as I got to the end, I got a 12-44 signal at 2 inches deep right next to the curb-stone. Normally, a shallow 12-44 is indicative of a modern penny but since this coin was right up against the stone I figured I'd dig it. What a surprise to see a 1907 Barber dime pop out of the ground! A few minutes later, Tony pulled a silver Roosevelt dime from the middle of the front yard.

We stopped in another town at an old elementary school but it obviously had been hunted quite thoroughly since there were really no coins to be found. I got one wheat penny at 8 inches deep. As I was working the sidewalk strip I spotted something lying right on top of the grass. It was a shiny ring! Turned out to be gold-plated though. >:\ It does have a nice baguette-cut amethyst though (and my wife has already stolen it from my treasure box).

We stopped at several more schools, parks, and even an old house on our way across Indiana but just didn't have much luck.

Day three we woke up in Bloomington to heavy rain, falling temps, and snow flurries. We drove straight through to Ohio to meet Bell2Trac and his lovely wife Diane. They were so warm and cordial and welcomed us into their home. Since the weather was so bad, we spent the afternoon sitting in front of their fireplace talking about MDing and looking at the amazing finds they have made.

Day four was clear and cold. A heavy layer of frost covered my car. We met up with Bell2Trac (his name is Tony also) and followed him to a site where government housing (projects) used to stand. He said before that, there was older homes on the same site. We were able to get 3 hours of MDing in. Lots of folks know about this site so it is heavily hunted. Still, TTC managed to get a buffalo nickel and several wheaties. I got 8 wheaties and a nice 1938-D mercury dime. No no-silver-drive-home-of-shame for me!

All in all it was a great time and I really enjoyed the trip. TTC is a good traveling companion (quiet) and we had a blast meeting our fellow detectorists in Ohio. TTC and I are already talking about doing it again next year!

A special thanks to Tony and Diane for their hospitality. It was a real honor to meet you both and I look forward to meeting you again some day.

I will be posting a video but I have lots of footage to edit through so it will be a couple days. Here's some pics to fill the void until I get the video up. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0951.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0952.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0958.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0959.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0956.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0957.jpg

SeabeeRon
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Some great finds and a road trip with Forum buddies, how cool is that!! :cool: <:

dave in iowa
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Great finds and a road trip , |:cheering:

Bell-Two
11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Dave and Tony it was a honor and pleasure to meet you guys you are welcome back anytime and would like to host another hunt for you again thumbsup01

aloldstuff
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Very nice post. That trip sounds like something evey detectorist should do. :congrats: on your keepers and am waiting for the video.

POKIE73
11-14-2012, 07:26 PM
looks and sounds like a good time was had by all thats what this hooby is all about congrats on your finds coins and new hunting partners dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

milco
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Dave, that sounds like a fantastic few days! At least you hit the sunny warm weather on part of trip before it started getting cold and nasty! Nice finds, looking forward to the video!

JTGOLD
11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
thats some very nice finds you two made and it is always great to hunt with forum friends
wtg you two.

Ill Digger
11-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Well it's been four years now and we still haven't hunted together. :rolleyes: I've known Tony a little ove1 year now and we've hunted together twice :groovy: now. :confused:
What gives man? :dontknow:............. :poke: Just kiddin' lol But we do have to meet up one of these days. lol
That sounded like such a great time Dave! I wish I could've been there with you guys. :envious: A true modern day treasure hunt! How cool is that! thumbsup01
Glad to see you made some nice finds too! |:cheering:
Too bad that wasn't a platinum and diamond ring! :rolleyes:
Congrats! :grin:
Man! Could you imagine that SDHOS!?! 8/ >{ :barf:............ lol

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Great post and photos, Dave! It was a fun trip, for sure.

I am anxious to see your video. I didn't shoot much video footage, but I will probably get mine edited and uploaded tonight.

Thanks again for driving and for providing good company!

giant056
11-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Nice mess of old coins you found there, congrats on all them silvers, pile of wheats and Indian thumbsup01

CODY
11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Great finds and a great trip. :congrats:

coop
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice digs!!!!

jkress
11-15-2012, 11:50 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Sounds like a wonderful adventure you had with Tony. thumbsup01

Lots of nice targets and several great keepers for your pocket. :smitten: Congratulations DD!!!

Fire Fighter 43
11-17-2012, 07:28 AM
WTG, looks like you had a nice road trip and hunt. |:cheering:. Congrats on the silver and other nice finds.