PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip with DaddyDigger, Hunt with Bell-Two

Tony Two-Cent
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
DaddyDigger (Dave) and I decided to take a few days off and go on a casual, mostly unplanned metal detecting road trip through Illinois/Indiana/Ohio this past Saturday through Tuesday. We left from Effingham, Illinois at about 6:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. The weather was beautiful and just right for metal detecting! I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. My, how things would change by Monday! :frozen:

The very first place we hunted ended up being the most productive. It was at an old high school. At this site I found over 20 wheat cents and 4 mercury dimes. I'm sure there is a lot more there, but if we would have spent too much time in one spot then we never would have made it to Ohio!

We tried a couple more old schools in the next town but they were less productive. Dave found a 1906 Indian Head at the high school. A nice find for sure, but that was about it for this town, so we drove on and met a couple of old friends of mine for lunch in Robinson, IL. I ate so much excellent chinese food that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to metal detect any more that day! :shocked01: lol

Next we got permission to hunt around a public library that was in an older part of town. (Thank you to the very nice librarians!) I found several more wheat cents and a silver Roosevelt dime, and Dave found several wheaties too. After a while we decided to hit the road again and ended up in a very old town on the Illinois/Indiana border. Lots of history in this town and some promising looking sites, but all we could manage was a couple of wheaties. By now it was starting to get dark so we drove to Vincennes, IN and found lodging for the night.

The next morning (Sunday) we got up early and went to a very large, very old park but couldn't find any old coins at all. I got a few clad coins and some really deep shotgun shell head stamps but that was it. So we tried an old grade school in town and had a little better luck. Dave got a Barber Dime at this old school, and I got 6 wheat cents and a silver Rosie.

At the next town we got permission to hunt this old house:

Kinda makes your mouth water, doesn't it? Well, it must have had the same effect on the other 500 people who hunted it previously. >:{ Nothing but a few modern clad coins.

We ended the day on Sunday at a large old park in central Indiana. Once again, the site looked very promising but gave up very few finds. I only found a few wheat cents.

On Monday it was much colder and raining all day with some snow flurries mixed in. We drove to the Dayton, Ohio area and went to the home of Bell-Two (Tony) and his wife Diane. They were very hospitable hosts and we had a very nice visit, discussing metal detecting and looking at all of their wonderful finds. So many large cents! There's nothing like sitting in front of the fireplace on a cold day, looking at old coins and relics.

DaddyDigger and Bell-Two:

Bell-Two and myself:

On Tuesday morning it was still cold, but the sun was hining bright and there was no wind. Temps were in the 30s but with several layers of warm clothes it was just right for detecting. Bell-Two took us to a very large site where a bunch of old houses had once stood. This site was very trashy but there were lots of coin signals too. I think you could go home with a bucket full of memorial cents if you dug all of the 12-44 signals. I did find a nice 1928 Buffalo Nickel early in the hunt, followed by a couple of wheat cents. Dave and Tony both got Mercs at this site. It was a very enjoyable hunt and was more about the time shared than the finds. We thanked Tony for his warm hospitality and then hit the road for the long drive back to Illinois.

Here are my finds for the entire trip:

I ended up with 40 wheat cents:

Not exactly on my bucket list, but it was a first for me. Yep, it's a 1943 steel penny. It was in a spill with another copper wheat cent.

Two Buffalo Nickels, 1928 and 1936:

And the silver, 4 Mercs and 2 Rosies:

An old button off of a band uniform, I guess? I have no idea now old it is:

A watch winder? Not sure.

Half of a good luck token found in Newton, IL. (I think the token maker made a typo.) I couldn't find the other half.

Thanks a million, Dave, for driving me all over the midwest and for putting up with me for four days! It was great fun! Next time we'll get the seateds and draped busts for sure! thumbsup01

milco
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like just an awesome time you guys had Tony! Congrats on the great finds and I'd be lying if I told you I was not envious of a nice long MDing trip like that with friends!

JTGOLD
11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
very nice lot of keepers ya got Tony and it sounds like you guys had a good time,and it is always fun hunting with detector friends,very good hunt,wtg.

Ill Digger
11-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Very cool Tony! thumbsup01 Like the others have said. The coins are great and all.
But I think the pictures of all you guys finally meeting up :grouphug: is just....priceless. :yes:
Congrats on some nice finds too! :grin: lol
Man! Could you imagine that SDHOS? 8/ >{ :barf:......... lol

Full Metal Digger
11-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Great post Tony! Thanks for being such good company. I Googled your button's backmark (Superior Quality) and all the hits I got were Civil War buttons with the same backmark! How come you always find the CW buttons when we go out together? :envious: >{

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2012, 07:01 AM
I wish the button was from the Civil War era, but I think it's probably one of these 1940s band uniform buttons:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58123710/custom-order-for-rajalu

:crying02: lol

giant056
11-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Excellent bunch of finds you got there Tony thumbsup01 looks like you all had a fantastic time there :grin:

z118
11-15-2012, 07:38 AM
That looks and sounds like an all around fantastic time!

Bell-Two
11-15-2012, 07:47 AM
We had a great time visiting and hunting with you guys you found a lot of cool stuff on your trip and I am glad we all found something on the hunt. Your 1943 looks just like mine also found in a spill. Please come back again and I will try to get you out to a couple of spots where there may be more old goodies awaiting.

aloldstuff
11-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Tony, sounds like a great trip. Yeah the seated and draped can wait for another time. The keepers you got make the trip great. You and Dave both use the Etrac so I am sure there was a lot of discussion about settings and so forth. Hope you all can do this again. :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Tony, I googled Civil War Musicians Button and got lots of hits. They all look like yours! Same backmark too. What do you think?

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/FB.jpg

CODY
11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Wow, what a great post. Great trip and hunt with great friends. Don't get much better than this. Awesome finds. :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Tony, I googled Civil War Musicians Button and got lots of hits. They all look like yours! Same backmark too. What do you think?

Yes, that civil war button looks just like the one I found. Hmmm... :thinkingabout:

jkress
11-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Just an awesome post Tony!! thumbsup01

I've been waiting for your return report since the day you said you were leaving. :-> Sounds like it was an incredible adventure.

Thanks for taking us along through pictures. :smitten: Love the keepers you pulled from the dirt. :clapping:
The silver, copper, nickel and especially the button. Congrats on your first steelie.

Very well done sir.

Fire Fighter 43
11-17-2012, 07:20 AM
WTG Tony, sounds like you had a great trip with some good friends. Congrats on all the silver and the nice pile of wheats. |:cheering: