PDA

View Full Version : Big foreign silver!!

Snapolson
11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I got out today before work and hit a park/open space near my house. I went to a spot I had previously found back in the spring while shooting photos. I made a mental note to check it out someday. I'm glad I did.

The spot is ultra trashy with a billion signals in every direction. I was getting lots of trash and junk signals but then at the tree stump you see in the photo I came across a super sweet sounding 92-93 on the T2. It showed it to be on the surface. I'm thinking another stinking bottle cap but NO...this is some kind of coin and a big one! I practically pick it up off the surface and didn't have to dig! I wipe it off and I first see the guy on the one side. What is this? A token? Play money? I flip it over and first see 2 shillings. What?? Then I see the date: 1892. Holy moly!! :omg: It turns out to be from South Africa!! It's the size of a half dollar. Very cool! :twirlingeyes:

Then I sweep the spot again and another high signal around 90 not even a foot away! This coin popped out with my finger and it was sort of on its side. This one is a quarter, but all I can make out is the 25. Not sure if it's from Canada or South Africa. The date is completely worn off. King George V is the monarch on it so I imagine it's from the early 20th century.

On a side note, I think I'm going to count the Standing Lib quarter I found this past Monday as a silver due to the fact that after a little scrape of its side on the sidewalk revealed a shiny surface. If it was not silver I don't believe it would shine like that. If it is in fact silver, my total count for 2012 has reached 50!! Yay!! :happy: To be sure I plan to take it to a jeweler to test it.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!! :groovy:

milco
11-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Awesome finds! Big old foreign silver is always cool to find! Looks like a Canadian quarter to me. Congrats!

POKIE73
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
:congrats: on your finds :clapping: :clapping: looks like a good hunt dennis :perfect10:

aloldstuff
11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Ddefinately a Canadian quarter. That 2 shilling is awesome, great find :congrats:

CODY
11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Sweet, great finds. :congrats: