PDA

View Full Version : You lose...please try again!!

Snapolson
11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
I took the 1924 SLQ to the jeweler today. He tested it and it showed it was not silver. You folks were right, it is a counterfeit coin. So back to the drawing board and I'm down to 49. I'll be back out on Sunday so wish me luck. 8/

Here's the original thread:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=11812.0

aloldstuff
11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Glad you had it tested. The edges were a giveaway as to it being conterfeit. Don't worry, #50 is waiting for ya. thumbsup01

CODY
11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I never even heard of a fake SLQ. But, it is what it is. # 50 is waiting there for you. I have NO doubt you will find it soon. Good luck.

POKIE73
11-16-2012, 06:09 PM
even if it is a fake its a cool find i know i do not have one and you do congrats dennis :clapping:

Rob L
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah it may be fake, but its still a nice find. How many guys can say that they have found a counterfit LSQ. Probably your the only one. Thats whats great about this hobby. You never know what you will find.Whoever did it must have went through a lot of trouble. Beleve it or not,I found a 1/4 of an Indian head cent. Why would anyone want to cut one. For change?

lee
11-16-2012, 08:03 PM
still a nice find mate , i acturly found what i think is a counterfit 1875 carson city seated dime two days ago , i think it fake cos it didnt come out of the ground sparkling silver as do most silver coins around here but heres the thing , i found it 6 inches down on top of what i think is a old copper box which i did not dig up yet coz i was to cold and just wanted to get in the warm.
would a silver coin resting on copper make it go dull in colour ?

milco
11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't think I have ever heard of counterfeit 20th century coins, that is a unique piece and there is probably some interesting history connected with it. Good luck finding the real thing!

ChrisinCT
11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't know in my opinion I'd call that a win.

Lots of real ones to be had but what's the chances of every finding another fake.

I know I'd be happier finding a fake than a real one

Certainly makes for better conversation.

Congrats on your find.

Ill Digger
11-17-2012, 01:08 AM
I had a feeling it was a counterfeit jobber :rolleyes: Oh well :dontknow:
Like I said, and the others have said, it's the only one I've ever seen or heard about. :dontknow:
It's a pretty unique piece if you ask me! :yes: thumbsup01
Still a cool find!
Congrats! :grin: