PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Grail of Mercs

Ill Digger
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't take credit for this find . But I could have :bangahead01:
A friend stopped by to tell me he hunted a lot were the county recently tore down a old house. I said I knew about it. I stopped one night and hit it a little bit before it got dark and I found a 43 war nickel and a couple of wheaties. He asked where I was looking, so I told him.
Annnnnd in an area I was in.... or near....he found the Holy Grail of Mercs a 1916D :shocked04: Shhhhh....oot !!!! :bop: :crying02:
But it's still a very cool find!! And I'm glad someone I know found it. At least now I can say I've held a 1916D Merc.
They're out there.... :yes:
HH :grin:

Cheap Thrills
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice , just think , they are in the ground and they are free ( just the cost of your equipment ) . ;)

Baba

coinnut
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey, don't feel too bad about it 'cause I ain't too sure that's a &quot:grin: on there :confused: Being as worn as it is, it may just be a smudged S. The &quot:grin: has a straight back and small nubs on the top and bottom. There is a bit too much activity on the back side of that &quot:grin: for positive identification, especially half way up. But don't mention that to your buddy, cause he'll think you are jealous lol So it may be a &quot:grin:, but I'm skeptical lol Nice find, if it is one though.

Cheap Thrills
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Dang , coinnut !! You've got some sharp eyes and take the time time for details . :shocked04: I beleive your right . I thought it a bit odd that a 1916D would be in circulation long enough to get that worn but you never know .Good point about not being the one to break the bad news to his buddy .

Baba

Ill Digger
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
:huh: Hmmmm... :confused: :confused:

coinnut
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Dang , coinnut !! You've got some sharp eyes and take the time time for details . :shocked04: I beleive your right . I thought it a bit odd that a 1916D would be in circulation long enough to get that worn but you never know .Good point about not being the one to break the bad news to his buddy .

Baba

Just call me Mr. burst your bubble rofl

Ill Digger
04-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey, don't feel too bad about it 'cause I ain't too sure that's a &quot:grin: on there :confused: Being as worn as it is, it may just be a smudged S. The &quot:grin: has a straight back and small nubs on the top and bottom. There is a bit too much activity on the back side of that &quot:grin: for positive identification, especially half way up. But don't mention that to your buddy, cause he'll think you are jealous lol So it may be a &quot:grin:, but I'm skeptical lol Nice find, if it is one though.

You've had me looking at pictures of 1916d's all day . My eyes are like :shocked04:stretcher: and :cheesysmile:
This one looks identical if you ask me: http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-D-Mercury-Dime-10c-GENUINE-KEY-DATE-Silver-Coin_W0QQitemZ140397548795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins _US_Individual?hash=item20b05894fb
It looks like a D to me.
We're going to try and take some pictures tomarrow.
I'm gonna try taking one under a magnifing glass thumbsup01
And I didn't have to break it to him...you did rofl lol

del
04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
hey Tim just keep an optimistic mind and be kind to Coinnut (he's old and set in his ways ) lol lol after detecting with
him for a while now i know first hand how he'll try and beat ya down every chance he gets , just makes proving
him wrong that much sweeter. i'm rootin for ya to get an S

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
idk looks like a D to me :confused:

hoser
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Looks like a D, hopin its a D for his sake. In any event it is a great find no matter which it is. Well done. thumbsup01

coinnut
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
i'm rootin for ya to get an S

Dan

rofl rofl Old ha? I think you meant a &quot:grin: rofl

coinnut
04-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm not trying to make anyone's day bad. The one on E bay has a round top beginning part of the &quot:grin: section and the back half is less packman like. All I am saying is that it could be a smeared S But that's just my opinion on it. I hope it is a &quot:grin:. Easy way to find out, get it slabbed. If PCGS says it's a &quot:grin: then it's a &quot:grin: lol Besides, slabbing it would increase the value and assign a verifiable grade to it. It's highly recommended for anyone buying a 1916D to have it authenticated. Lots of copies and forgeries out there. One thing for certain, yours is not a copy or forgery. That's the beauty of finding stuff in the ground. No more on it from me :lipssealed: