PDA

View Full Version : Old Copper Culture Spear Point

Fire Fighter 43
11-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I found this find today in SE Wisconsin in a wooded section of a picnic grove. The area I was hunting did have a Native American presence as late as the mid 1800's. The find is a socketed Tang point that was probably used as a spear point. From what I found it is from the Old Copper Culture which started around 4000 BC here in Wisconsin. Below are the details that I found on the Internet. The point I found is 4 inches long and 3/4 inches wide at its widest point.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/7dd7463b3f4c0e43b6ba8ac51a80b1f5.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/760547f391517d34510f2e93269d5105.jpg
The Old Copper Complex, also known as the Old Copper Culture, refers to the items made by early inhabitants of the Great Lakes region during a period that spans several thousand years and covers several thousand square miles. The most conclusive evidence suggests that native copper was utilized to produce a wide variety of tools beginning in the Middle Archaic period circa 4,000 BC. The vast majority of this evidence comes from dense concentrations of Old Copper finds in eastern Wisconsin. These copper tools cover a broad range of artifact types: axes, adzes, various forms of projectile points, knives, perforators, fishhooks and harpoons. By about 1,500 BC artifact forms began to shift from utilitarian objects to personal ornaments, which may reflect an increase in social stratification toward the Late Archaic and Early Woodland period (Pleger 2000). While copper continued to be used in North America up until European contact, it was only used in small amounts, primarily for symbolic ornaments.

Socketed Tang Point
Socketed-tang points are one of the more common projectile points produced in the Old Copper Complex. Currently there are over 300 examples. Depending on their size, these projectiles would have functioned either as spear points or atlatl dart tips. The socket would have been hafted to a wooden shaft and likely secured with a cord wrapped around it. Some sockets have evidence of rivet holes, for better securing the projectile to the shaft with a copper pin/nail. Typically they have a ridge running along the dorsal surface, which would have added extra stability to the projectile. They range in size from a few centimeters to over 20 centimeters.

The one I found looks a lot like the second largest one in this photo

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/596fe347e2bad2f95ce0adbf4af5b5de.jpg

milco
11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
A truly amazing find Jeff! I bet you sure were surprised to find that item! What an incredible piece of native american and Wisconsin history, congrats on putting your coil over that copper tip!!! :congrats:

fyrffytr1
11-17-2012, 12:38 AM
That is a very nice find. I would be happy to find one.

del
11-17-2012, 04:19 AM
:shocked03: :wow: thats a great point Jeff :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: and its amazingly in prestine shape :loveit: :loveit: , these tools and weapons were fashioned from the native natural copper found from the great lakes areas. they were just pounded or formed raw into the items we see today , i agree its either a small spear or atlatl (javalin) point . you might have stumbled onto or very near a villiage site Jeff , its an incredible find and should be a great looking center piece in anyones relic display :perfect10: :perfect10:.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2012, 06:07 PM
wow dude! that's amazing! that's a banner find my friend! congrats! |:cheering:

aloldstuff
11-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Jeff, what a great find. I hope Del is right in that you might have stumbled onto a village site. :perfect10:

freemindstuck
11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
One of the coolest relics I've seen on here yet. Sweet find! thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
11-21-2012, 05:21 AM
That is really something.....have you gone back to that area?

Fire Fighter 43
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
That is really something.....have you gone back to that area?

Deer hunting is in full swing right now so I'm waiting for it to end before I return to the woods. Hopefully I'll get back there next week.

del
11-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Deer hunting is in full swing right now so I'm waiting for it to end before I return to the woods. Hopefully I'll get back there next week.

Jeff thats got to be one of my favorite relics :smitten: :smitten: that i've seen up on this forum , i hope you find more items from that period when you go back.

Dan

Thiltzy
11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Truly awsome find...you should be proud :omg: :perfect10:

tanacat
11-25-2012, 11:52 AM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Wow what a great find Jeff! I'm sure you'll be back there time and again- hope you find some more neat items. Is it plowed anywhere near there? Wondering if you are hunting for arrowheads also. Thanks for sharing the info :yes:

Btw, I've been swingin' and arrowhead hunting in a huge freshly tilled soybean field lately, hoping to find a spear point like that lol So far a three ring minie ball and 8 flat buttons...and cobbs triangular knife.