PDA

View Full Version : article sheds bad light on detecting

leslie(nova scotia)
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
From the land of the Bluenose....this does not shed a good light on us!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/articles/metal-detecting-101/

<;)

del
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
i agree Leslie , it will take a lot of time and goodwill to change the perception the media and the archaeology world has about us hobbyists . thats why its so important to educate the new people who just get into the hobby on being ethical and responsible ambassadors in the public's eyes and why we here at AD won't promote bad behavior that can hurt this hobby. incidently the colaboration of detectorists and archaeologists on the Custer's last stand project they talked about in the article was the inspiration of the 1637 Pequot war project that started here in Connecticut three years ago. thanks for posting the link Leslie.

Dan

Full Metal Digger
11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
I didn't think the article cast us in a bad light. It fairly laid out both sides of the issue and then lets the reader decide. There wasn't any reference to diggers who HAVE cast us in a bad through their misdeeds and illegal digging. That's just my opinion though and you know what they say about opinions. HH, Dave.

milco
11-19-2012, 10:09 PM
This is an interesting article, thanks for posting Les. I think it was pretty well rounded and approached the whole subject from a variety of viewpoints. I think it laid out the facts pretty well and people can come to there own conclusions. I would say that the reporter very likely had some familiarity with metal detecting to have reported the story in the way that it was. At the end of the day we cannot let stereo types get in the way of the collaboration with the archy community, we both have a vested interest in working together, and the more that is realized the better off we'll all be in terms of preserving the history beneath our collective feet.