PDA

View Full Version : Back to the stump!

Snapolson
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Today I went back to the tree stump where I found two foreign silver coins and a French 10 cent piece. I only had about an hour to hunt so I scoured the immediate area around the stump. There was plenty of junk targets all over but these two coins were loud and clear.

I got another Dix Centimes piece, this one a year newer (1856). You can see how shallow it was in the photo where the cut is in the soil. The other coin was a couple of inches deep and I'm not sure what country it is. It's a 1930 and 5 something. It looks like a Greek coin. Any thoughts?

So far there have been no American coins around the tree, but I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :groovy:

dalewestaby
11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
nice! THats cool there were more foreign coins there!

POKIE73
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
:congrats:shocked04:n your finds dennis :peace: :peace:

aloldstuff
11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Seeing that the date ranges from 1850's to 1930's I'm thinking that someone just lost their foreign coin collection. Nice finds again.

jkress
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice! The 1856 is a very nice keepers. :clapping:

milco
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow, that is just crazy! I would keep going back too if I kept finding all those 19th century coins, WTG!! |:cheering: Looks like someone lost there coin collection around that stump! Or it was a good spot to take care of business back in the day and stuff just happened to fall out of the pockets! lol No matter how they got there, glad you are recovering those great finds!

Snapolson
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Wow, that is just crazy! I would keep going back too if I kept finding all those 19th century coins, WTG!! |:cheering: Looks like someone lost there coin collection around that stump! Or it was a good spot to take care of business back in the day and stuff just happened to fall out of the pockets! lol No matter how they got there, glad you are recovering those great finds!

Thanks! Yeah, I talked to a guy who said the land used to all be owned by one guy back in the late 1800's and he willed all of it for the park. The guy was rich and traveled the world in his work in shipping. It wouldn't be a stretch to think he or his employees might have lost the money. There is a large marsh area next to the spot I'm at. Maybe back in the day boats landed there with people coming and going. It sounds like a good research project during the colder days.

Ill Digger
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I like finding out of the ordinary finds like these! thumbsup01
Foreign coins are always fun to find. Well....the older the better. lol
Yours look to be a coin from France. A 1856-A Coin - 10 Centimes |:cheering: I seen a couple listed on Ebay for about $6 dollars + or- :dontknow:
But if they were mine... they wouldn't be for sale anyways \:hammer: lol
Cool finds Christian :cool:
Congrats! :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Very nice, congrats on some nice digs, WTG |:cheering:

CODY
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice finds. :congrats:

54shooter
11-22-2012, 08:12 AM
All those foreign coins and no US? That's a stumper.......... :rolleyes: