PDA

View Full Version : Fun Finds From the Weekend

Ill Digger
11-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Saturday we headed out of town to check out a nice big old park I spotted on Google maps. It turns out others have checked out this park before too. :rolleyes: lol
The finds were few and far in-between. I managed to get a wheat and a little while later a 1926 Buff. It was getting late and the sun was slowly setting so I moved to the other end of the park and decided to hunt the edges. Hoping to find a area that may have been over looked. I soon got a wheatie with a lightbulb base in the same hole. So the area had promise. While hunting right next to the bases of some BIG OLD oak trees. I finally got a screaming 12-43 at what showed to be 2 inches deep. :shocked01: :drool: The dirt was soft, black, sandy ground. So I started to dig down with just my fingers and the pin pointer was still screaming like it was on the surface. :confused: Finally at the 3 inch or so mark I seen this.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/pennytree.jpg
Here's a close up of what really got the blood flowing! :drool: lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/penny.jpg
Here it is out of the ground.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/penny3.jpg
The other side. Whats up with the 44 punched in his head!?! :confused: lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/penny2.jpg
Saturdays goodies.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/1.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2.jpg

Sunday we hit a old favorite.
Within the first 5 minutes I found a 1918 Buff! Good way to start a hunt! |:cheering:
I managed my 58 silver of the year 3 more IH's a 1910 wheat. But !! The find of the day was a 1926 Illinois Chauffeurs License!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/3.jpg
A couple of buddies have each found one and I've been hoping to find one some day!
It's a little rough but here she is! :smitten:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/4.jpg
It was just nice to get out and make a few nice finds. :daydream: And we even had some descent weather too! |:cheering:
Thanks for lookin' & HH !! :grin:

dalewestaby
11-20-2012, 06:09 AM
half your photos arent showing, nice finds though

Full Metal Digger
11-20-2012, 07:11 AM

That's okay they were just pics of him modeling his new mankini!

Nice finds Tim! The counterstamped 1919 coin is really cool. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
11-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Tim, nice going on the chauffeurs badge. It's nice to get something that you really wanted. That counterstamped coin...:huh: Possibly done during the war.

Ill Digger
11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Sorry about that. :embarrassed: They were showing up when I posted them last night :dontknow: Those are all the pictures I took with my phone and had to transfer them all. :hairpulling: Now they're there! thumbsup01
Thanks Dale :grin:

That's okay they were just pics of him modeling his new mankini!
Shhhh!! :rolleyes: Man! 8/ You ruin all my surprises! >:/ :dontknow:
Oh and thanks for taking them for me. |:confused:)........ :poke: lol

Nice finds Tim! The counterstamped 1919 coin is really cool. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
Thanks Dave! I thought the counterstamped coin was pretty cool too. :cool:
First one (coin) I've ever found with stamping on it. thumbsup01

Tim, nice going on the chauffeurs badge. It's nice to get something that you really wanted.
Thanks Al! :yes: Yeah it was pretty exciting once I figured out what it was lol When I first found it I was holding it upside-down :confused:
It looked like a big arrowhead :thinkingabout: But once I turned it around and seen what it was i was like :drool: :happydance01:...... lol

That counterstamped coin...:huh: Possibly done during the war.
Thats as good as a guess as any Al. :dontknow: It looks like it was done way more recently than 1919 :yes: lol
Maybe it was done in 1944 :dontknow: But we'll never know .....WHY!?! :confused: :shocked01: lol
I still love it! :smitten:

CODY
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow, great finds, congrats.

silver star
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Big congrats on your finds Timmy thumbsup01. I like that chauffeurs badge :yes: Have a great Thanksgiving Day. HH Mike

JTGOLD
11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
nice keepers,wtg.

jkress
11-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Great digging Tim!! :peace:

You saved many nice ones this weekend. :yes: The 1919 penny is a very cool find. I can see why it got your
blood pumping when it was in the hole.

The chauffeurs badge is a nice addition for your collection. Congrats on the silver and IH's too.

Fire Fighter 43
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Congrats on some nice digs Tim, WTG |:cheering: it seems like there are a lot of Canadian LC coming out of the ground lately. When you sent me the text I thought you had a silver dollar in the hole. The tag is a very cool find.

milco
11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Sweet finds there Tim! Glad to see you made it out over the weekend! The Chauffeur's badge is awesome! :peace: And the counterstruck British penny is a cool finds as well! Keep on hitting it hard while we have this weather!

tech125
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice finds Tim, Congrats on the chauffeurs badge, thats a nice one!

Ill Digger
11-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Wow, great finds, congrats.
Thanks Cody! :grin:

Big congrats on your finds Timmy thumbsup01. I like that chauffeurs badge :yes: Have a great Thanksgiving Day. HH Mike
Thanks Mikey! :grin:
I like it a lot too! :smitten:
You and your family have a nice Thanksgiving too! :grouphug:

nice keepers,wtg.
Thanks Terry! :grin:

The 1919 penny is a very cool find. I can see why it got your
blood pumping when it was in the hole.

The chauffeurs badge is a nice addition for your collection. Congrats on the silver and IH's too.
Thanks Joe! :grin: I didn't know what it was for sure at first :confused: But I knew it was something good! :drool: lol
Ans yes :yes: The badge is a nice addition to the collection. It's already in this years display case! thumbsup01 Almost front and center. ;)

Congrats on some nice digs Tim, WTG |:cheering: When you sent me the text I thought you had a silver dollar in the hole.
Thanks Jeff! :grin:
I wish it was a silver dollar :yes: :drool: I didn't mean to interrupt your dinner. :blush: But I had to show someone! lol

Sweet finds there Tim! Glad to see you made it out over the weekend! The Chauffeur's badge is awesome! :peace: And the counterstruck British penny is a cool finds as well! Keep on hitting it hard while we have this weather!
Thanks Darren! :grin: Yeah, I'm tickled with both of the finds! |:cheering:
I can't complain. \:hammer: Like you said, it might not be long and this nice weather ain't going to be so nice. >:\ :frozen: :thumbsdown:

Nice finds Tim, Congrats on the chauffeurs badge, thats a nice one!
Thanks Rob! :grin:
I'm so happy with it! I'm debating weather I should try and clean it some more? :thinkingabout:
And if so how? :dontknow: An with what? :dontknow:
It still has some of the chrome plating left. I don't want to lose any of that. But get rid of the green gunk and stuff. :confused: lol

tanacat
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Well you definately got the corn Tim :happydance01: :perfect10: :clapping: Great pics!

Such a nice touch to the banner |:cheering:

I bet you were running around like this after you found that LC :happy:

Tony Two-Cent
11-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Terrific finds, Tim! I love the 1919 British Penny and the chauffeur's license! That 1923 Merc is really sharp too!

Those chauffeur's badges were originally silver plated. I found one from 1921 earlier this year.

Great bunch of finds! :perfect10:

tanacat
11-24-2012, 10:06 AM
:confused: Finally at the 3 inch or so mark I seen this.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/pennytree.jpg

:thinkingabout: I've found a few amazingly shallow items too. I think it's neat how soil conditions and types of plants vary for the depth of items. I found my oldest coin 1820 LC if I remember correctly at about 2 or 3 inches on top of a root of huge tree where there wasn't much grass/decomposition going on over the years and also the huge root must've pushed the LC upwards as well. And I found an 1890 IH about an inch deep under old cedar tree on bare compact soil in yard of Victorian home turned into college student housing- lots of erosion and compaction from cutting across that yard I surmised...

Btw the latter is now a sorority house and those girls thought I was nuts :crazy: the looks I got from them as they walked past me to go to their classes lol I held up the IH and showed one of them and she was like ooh wow neato and rolled her eyes. Some people just don't understand our passion (and I don't really care) :rolleyes: Getting off subject now aren't I? :interesting: lol

Anyway, congrats again Tim!

dalewestaby
11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
tell me about it tancat... Ill hunted near a college a week ago and found a shield nickel so i did a happy dance. People approached me and asked me if i found gold. I showed them the nickel and they laughed and walked away :rolleyes:

tanacat
11-24-2012, 10:25 AM
tell me about it tancat... Ill hunted near a college a week ago and found a shield nickel so i did a happy dance. People approached me and asked me if i found gold. I showed them the nickel and they laughed and walked away :rolleyes:

I started a funny thread a while back I think it was titled comments you've heard while hunting' maybe I should bump it for a good laugh and get some new stories... :) We are such a misunderstood group to some lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-27-2012, 09:20 AM
awesome badge! and a cool counter stamped coin! sweet hunt!