PDA

View Full Version : This one has me stumped.

Lowjiber
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm not much of a relic guy, but can usually figure out what something mechanical actually is. However, this one has me stumped.

I dug it yesterday at about 5 in a park that was built in the 1940's. The material appears to be bronze...judging from it's hardness and the scratches I made with the Lesche when digging it.

Obviously (at least to me), it is an adjusting device of some sort. I think the ball-like end of the screw fit in a depression, and when the screw was turned, the plate put more (or less) pressure on something. The flutes have me really stumped as to their function in my theory.

Any ideas:huh: :confused:

yazoo
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Looks like some sorta inner workings to a pressure relief valve of some sort.The center part looks to be able to be seated .H.H. Yazoo

coinnut
04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
No clue on that one John. At first glance it looked like an old thermostat from a car. But it ain't lol Hope someone sheds some light on it.

Ferrous
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
It's the spinner out of a sprinkler head. That looks like a Boulder City find.

Lowjiber
04-08-2010, 05:51 AM

Bruce...You are a genius!!! Yes, it is a Boulder City find. It came from that park you told me about between the bowling alley and the police station.

Thanks Buddy!!! See you in May:huh:thinkingabout:

BOWSER
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
gee i was in Boulder City 20 years ago and there was only 1 little square of grass :confused:

coinnut
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

That's funny. I looked at that thing for 10 minutes and couldn't figure it out. Not even a wild guess. The minute you said what it was it all made sense :yes: Great ID on it. It would have been in my UFO pile forever ;)

SeabeeRon
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
WTG Bruce!! We got some smart fellers here! :grin:

CyberSage
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
That would be a US Quarter in the first photograph I believe. :grin: