PDA

View Full Version : Conformation on my thoughts.

hoser
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I want to get the wife her own machine and I am torn between the Ace 250, and the F2. She likes the Ace but has a rough time pinpointing with the eliptical coil. I believe a concentric coil would serve her better thats why I leaning towards the F2. Also the F2 has a faster recovery time compared to the Ace. Keep in mind she won't be devoting as much time to hunting as I do. She wants it super simple, light, she wants the screen to look at, and just overall a turn on and go machine. Ya think the F2 would be the machine for her?

toehead
04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Never owned a Fisher machine, however you have a good point with the elliptical coil on the Ace. Sounds like you pretty much got it nailed down. Nothing left but the purchase now. :yes:

Lowjiber
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
My wife has a 250 (with a SunRay attached) and I carry an F2 in my Jeep for impromptu hunts. They're both great, inexpensive machines.

I prefer the F2 because its display is larger and it is a bit more rugged (IMHO).

coinnut
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I would go with the one that runs smoother. Nothing worse when starting out than a chirping machine. But them bell tones kill me too. lol Is there a place she can try them out or is this a surprise? The F2 is probably a better machine, but I would have her try it out first. Maybe she will hate it and that will make the choice simple. :yes: You can always get another coil for the Ace can't you?

hoser
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
No its not a surprise. We have talked about it uite a bit. Coinnut I have been on Kellyco and the Garrett site and the only concentric coil I can see for the Ace is the 4.5 and I just know that wouldn't fly. There is no Fisher dealer close to us here. I'll have to check and see where the closest one would be. My main goal is for her to have fun and not get frustrated and lose interest quick. She is perfectly happy finding clad and some neat relics. However if she finds a piece of silver and I don't I'll never hear the end of it. :poke: rofl

Lowjiber
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
You can always get another coil for the Ace can't you?
Fisher makes a four inch coil for the F2 that is a killer in trashy areas.

coinnut
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
No its not a surprise. We have talked about it uite a bit. Coinnut I have been on Kellyco and the Garrett site and the only concentric coil I can see for the Ace is the 4.5 and I just know that wouldn't fly. There is no Fisher dealer close to us here. I'll have to check and see where the closest one would be. My main goal is for her to have fun and not get frustrated and lose interest quick. She is perfectly happy finding clad and some neat relics. However if she finds a piece of silver and I don't I'll never hear the end of it. :poke: rofl

You probably already did this, but sometimes if you call Kellyco, they may have a concentric coil that is available, but not shown. The other option is to try and find an easy way to pinpoint with that coil. I use a large SEF coil on the E Trac and have found that pinpointing the target one way and then turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again, get's the target in the middle of the coil. If you can find an easy trick to pinpoint with that coil, it would solve a lot. As far as her finding silver and you not,... you're on you own there lol

hoser
04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
You probably already did this, but sometimes if you call Kellyco, they may have a concentric coil that is available, but not shown. The other option is to try and find an easy way to pinpoint with that coil. I use a large SEF coil on the E Trac and have found that pinpointing the target one way and then turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again, get's the target in the middle of the coil. If you can find an easy trick to pinpoint with that coil, it would solve a lot. As far as her finding silver and you not,... you're on you own there lol

Just got off the phone with Kellyco and they said no to the round coil any larger than the 4.5. Looks like the F2 will win this battle. :beatdown: lol

Geekwinkle
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I had an F4 for a while, and if the F2 is anything like it (I suspect it is, but with slightly less bells and whistles) then she should do fine with it. My wife used my F4 a bit while I had it, but prefers her classic ID, even though I think it's 2x as heavy as the F4 was.