PDA

View Full Version : MXT SETTINGS

BOWSER
11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I have been having some sucess with the mxt at 7 gain and the disc at 3 it has become my favorite setting for hearing whispers and i use it in the coin and jewelry modeHH Jim

Lowjiber
11-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Whispers are where it happens...IMHO.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Rudy
07-15-2013, 08:42 PM
The MXT is a very high gain machine. More gain also means more tendency to get hits on small trash items and even hot rocks. This is one of the reasons the MXT has a reputation for being noisy.

Newbies have a tendency to run the MXT maxed out and then complain about how noisy it is.

The noise can often be alleviated by just backing down the gain. People hate to do that, as they think this means less depth. Think of the gain control like the gas pedal on your car. Do you always drive with the pedal to the floor? I would hope not.

On most detectors the Transmit power is fixed by design and we can only adjust the receive side gain. On the MXT (and the M6), this one control really has multiple functions.

From the minimum up to the factory preset, the sensitivity is progressively being increased, as is the audio target volume.

When you get into the + range on the gain control, several other things start happening simultaneously: The audio gain is increased further (boosted), until you eventually lose audio modulation. That is, the ability to have a deep target whisper to you over the earphones. Also at the same time, the Pre-amp gain is also increased. Hey you XLT and DFX users, the MXT has adjustable Pre-amp gain too. :yes:

It is better to run with a stable threshold and then increase the sensitivity to get a better TID once you've found an interesting target. Your MXT will run a lot quieter.

Also, set up your threshold control until it is barely audible on the earphones.