PDA

View Full Version : A first for me!

Snapolson
11-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I got out this AM for a hunt with Dirt Lizard (From the Friendly Forum) and we hit our favorite haunt. I wasn't an hour in to my hunt when I came across the first coin you see, an 1867 2 Cent piece! :omg: At first it was SO covered in crud I wasn't sure what I had. After a light rub I could see the bars on the shield and after flipping it over was able to make out the two. This is my first one! :happy:

The park we hunt is mainly woods with tons of area to check. Then I found a little pocket spill: two wheats (1911 and 1917) as well as a 1917 Mercury dime! Yes! :twirlingeyes: The dime was very dark so I thought it was a penny at first. The other cool find is the clock key (I think) and some other old doo dads and modern coinage I didn't include.

OK. I hope everyone had a great turkey day, and as always happy hunting! :groovy:

PS I cleaned the 2 center as best I could. Any ideas how to make it look better without damaging it?? I forgot to mention that the Canadian coin I found the other day is in the photo as well all cleaned up. You can see just how tiny it is!

dalewestaby
11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow! Nice to cent piece. I found a turn key before, that's a nice one!!!

Tony Two-Cent
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats on your first two-cent piece! That's awesome! It looks like it should clean up better, but you definitely want to emply a slow and gentle method. I'm not sure if a 3-4 day soak in olive oil would loosen up the crud or not.

Very nice finds! :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
:wow: Congrats on the two center, very nice |:cheering:

leslie(nova scotia)
11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....wowzer youz gut a date with Vickie Fish Scale. Man that is some sweet. Congrats! <;)

del
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
congrats :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: on the two-center the date side looks like it will clean up well .

CODY
11-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Nice finds. Congrats on the 2 center.

OxShoeDrew
11-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Nice find! I chip that layer off with my nail or a toothpick.....I don't know if it is right to do that or not. Your's will be sweet when you get that layer off.

aloldstuff
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
It's always nice to get a coin that you haven't gotten before. :congrats: on your 1st 2 center

jkress
11-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow... some nice keepers here! :clapping: The 1880 Canadian is on my list. :smitten:

Congrats on the silver and especially the 2 cent piece. :peace: