PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving weekend with Dad - silver, V, buffs, relics!

z118
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
My Dad came to town for the Thanksgiving weekend, and in addition to the family time, turkey, football, and fun we managed to get in some good detecting time together.

Long story short, we hit a whole bunch of different areas - most of them wooded, out of the way spots. The best however proved to be a last minute choice that I had mostly overlooked in years past. Total for the weekend was just over 200 coins worth $14.94 but among them were 18 wheats, two Buffs, an 1899 V nickel, a '46 Rosie, two Mercs, and a '48 quarter. I also landed some neat relics, the best of which were a sterling 4H pin, a Jimie Allen Flying Cadet pin, and an odd tag marked H Van Der Valle Rochester NY. And the real prize of the weekend was a buckle with a J on the front and Hickok USA Sterling on the back.

I've always teased my Dad about the lack of nickels among his finds so we were working on it together at the last site. He called me over to confirm one nickel signal and I told him I didn't think it was - the numbers were too high (12-18). He was going to pass it up but I said we should dig to see if I know what I'm talking about. As it turns out, I don't - and he landed his first silver war nickel.

In spite of the cold weather the last two day we had a great time digging. It will be tough getting back to work tomorrow, but I'm pleased to have some nice finds to remind me of the good memories made and time spent with the old man!

Happy hunting!

dalewestaby
11-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Man you did fricken awesome! Those are some amazing finds! I bet the adrenalin kept the sore knees away

aloldstuff
11-26-2012, 08:14 AM
What a great hunt. You managed to score some fantastic items. Love that sterling buckle and 4H pin. Best of all , some time spent with Dad.

bob_e99
11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I had a great time clearing out the clad and the crap so he could find the good stuff. :girlcry:
Matt is a detecting machine and tough to keep up with. He's digging targets before I can get my detector turned on.

It was a lot of fun and while he initially tried to sell me some swamp land where no human has gone before and mountain goats feard to tread, he finally caved in and brought me to a couple of fun sites. He should know by now that his silver is in no jeopardy with me detecting next to him. lol

Thanks for the great time. :perfect10:

z118
11-27-2012, 09:55 AM
It was a lot of fun and while he initially tried to sell me some swamp land where no human has gone before and mountain goats feared to tread, he finally caved in and brought me to a couple of fun sites.

lol Just don't be upset when I start pulling silver off the tops of those hills and out of those swamps! I know it's there somewhere! lol lol lol

CODY
11-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Sweet! Some great finds. :congrats:

jkress
11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Congratulations on a great weekend of digging!! :clapping:

Look at all that beautiful silver. :drool:

Tony Two-Cent
12-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Wow, look at all of those great finds! :loveit:

Nice little pile of silver coins, and that silver buckle is awesome!

Thanks for the info about the war nickel. I think I have been passing them up too, as I would typically never dig a 12-18 signal. Gonna have to re-think that.

I really like the flying cadet wings too. Very cool!

:congrats: