PDA

View Full Version : DAN! REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID? GOTTA SEE THIS! CLEANED UP LC

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Hey everyone,Dan had said in a previous post when I needed one more large cent to break last years record & his quote was those areas look real nice Dave and as i said over the phone , you'll get that copper and i hope its a real fine keeper too

the 1842 braided hair i dug yesterday I knew had some detail under the baked on black crud & today i was lookin at it under the loop and started scrubbin it with hot water and dish soap.I saw the liberty come through nicely & decided to hot perxoxide it.the black wouldn't flake off like most coins do,so i worked it with the toothbrush and kept ploppin it in the peroxide & scrubbing.
I was very pleased at the way it came out.i never had much luck diggin a good braided hair but this one is gorgeous.thanks for the good luck Dan! |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-25-2012, 10:52 PM
did a little more cleaning on the other coppers too from the last 2 days

milco
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Wow, those cleaned up really nice, super detailed! Great job!

del
11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
well done Dave :perfect10: :perfect10: the braided hair is a real looker :loveit: >:tongue: is that the latest copper to have been recovered there Dave?? looks like you know to when the site may have been active .

Ill Digger
11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Wow! :omg: That 1842 cleaned up awesome! :clapping:
It almost looks brand new! :yes:
Great job cleaning her up! thumbsup01
Sweet find!
Congrats on breaking last years record! :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2012, 12:31 AM
well done Dave :perfect10: :perfect10: the braided hair is a real looker :loveit: >:tongue: is that the latest copper to have been recovered there Dave?? looks like you know to when the site may have been active .

no Dan the braided hair and classic head yesterday were in another town.
the site i took ya to on my 1st cellar hole hunt gave up matrons and earlier.that site isnt even on a 1868 map

aloldstuff
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
That Braided Hair looks absolutly fantastic. :congrats: and thanks for describing the cleaning process

tanacat
11-27-2012, 11:34 AM
:omg: Yes it really cleaned up well! :clapping:

Sal66
12-05-2012, 12:03 AM
:omg: :congrats: Looks like my 1847, Just totally great looking coin, here's a pic of mine which happens to be my first Large Cent found. Most of the time these Large Cents come out looking nice and once in a great while they come out looking amazing. That's a Keeper for sure !! |:cheering:

tanacat
12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
And it took my 1820 and 1833 LCs 2 yrs soaking in olive oil to look that good lol

Fire Fighter 43
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
:wow: What a nice coin and great job cleaning it up.

Big Boys Hobbies
12-12-2012, 08:48 AM
That cleaned up amazing!!! Wow!

CODY
12-12-2012, 09:49 AM
:wow: :wow: Awesome cleaning job. Congrats on a super nice coin.

bob_e99
12-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Ditto on the other replies. Beautiful finds and most excellent cleanup.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

Metal Illness
12-31-2012, 06:54 PM
WOW that is stunning. What is the cleaning secret? My avatar is a beautiful 1829, cleaned with a dab of soap and water, soaked a week in olive oil. Was afraid to go any farther and remove the last of the patina. Congrats on such a sweet LC.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-04-2013, 11:11 PM
WOW that is stunning. What is the cleaning secret? My avatar is a beautiful 1829, cleaned with a dab of soap and water, soaked a week in olive oil. Was afraid to go any farther and remove the last of the patina. Congrats on such a sweet LC.

gorgeous matron head! i usually use soap n water and a toothbrush.but really each coin is different.re-read my post and you'll see how i cleaned this one

Metal Illness
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I have done the peroxide bath before and was not pleased with the outcome. Removed most of the green patina and left more of a blackish, sort of corroded finish. I maight get one of my already bad ons out and give it another go. usually the tooth brush, soap and water is all I do. I will post some before and after pics. when I do. Thanks for the reply; Bill

Fire Fighter 43
01-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Congrats on some nice LC's WTG |:cheering:

anvilmanco
01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Wow, those really cleaned up nice. I'm glad to see people cleaning some of these up. I, personally, feel like that if that dirty coin is going to be in my collection, I want it to look nice and be able to see the detail. Now, I would hate to polish away the nice patina, etc, but certainly doing what you did, works for me.

Besides, 110 years from now, who's going to know whether it was cleaned or not, eh?

Regards,

Keith

Sal66
01-17-2013, 04:10 PM
:congrats: Again. I forgot to say something in my last post. It seems like all these coins from the dates 1839-1857 called Young Heads or Braided Hair seem to hold up the best of all the years. When I found mine, all did was soak it in some Coke for a night and gave it a brushing with some soap. There was a 1851/81 found at the same site and it too came out amazing. I think Dan remembers this day. The Classic an Matrons seem to be hit or miss .
:interesting: I don't have the time now, but I have some great Ideas for the Winter Months besides dreaming about spring.