PDA

View Full Version : Does low battery voltage effect depth?

wvcoinminer
11-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Rechargeable AA batteries only charge to 1.2 volts. New alkalines are 1.5 volts. Just got me thinking does the battery voltage effect the depth of a detectors ground penetration?

del
11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
hello and welcome to the forum Wvcoinminer , most manufacturers will state that the new machines of today have built in voltage regulators that keep the flow of current at a steady rate to operate the machine at a consistant level. i do know low battery power will make most machines opperate erratically ( false more , emi will affect it more , inconsistant vdi's or tones on targets , ect , ect) therefore affecting its capabilities . i see this behavior inboth my DFX and TDI sl when their batteries are about spent. so i guess if low battery power can affect the machine in such ways as this i don't see how it can't affect the depth in some manner.

Dan

nicklehead
11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Pro pointers seem to act a little peppier with fresh 9v batteries in them but I haven't a clue about a regular detector. However my rather high dollar multi tester disagrees with your 1.2 v assessment of the rechargeable batteries. I run them as backup to the rechargeable pack from Minelab and they read 1.3v after setting a while and above 1.45 fresh out of the charger and that is from three different types of chargers also.

wvcoinminer
11-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks