PDA

View Full Version : Going Pro ?

Postman
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Well this past week Ive had two paying detecting jobs.Both on private properties,artifact and relic hunting.Homeowners wanted something physical from the past,as keepsakes for thier homes.Am going to be running an ad for a few months in area newspapers to see if business takes off.I don,t really consider myself a pro by any means despite the fact Ive been detecting since 1992,but I sure do have an awfull lot of experience.You detectorists out thier that live in or near historic areas,you might be surprised how much of an interest owners of historic homes have when it comes to finding artifacts and relics from the past.Of course Ill detect my own sites,but hey,may as well get paid for something I love doing.

SHIMMER77502
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
You get paid to do what you like to do ?!?!?!? :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Life is good, eh?

Cheap Thrills
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Go for it ! Not only fun and profit but a good way meet people and expand your hunting opportunities . thumbsup01

Baba

coinnut
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
It sounds like that may be a good plan. The hardest part is to make it worth your time but not price it too high. You can also offer to clean their finds up a bit, and maybe frame some of them in the inexpensive Riker mounts, for an extra fee. Can you tell I've given this some thought before lol Hope you get a chance to try it out. How did those two people like the results of your hunt? And, as for not being a pro?... Most people have never been near a metal detector. You were a pro to them the first week you bought your unit rofl They have no idea how to detect, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you will be more than qualified with the number of years you have been hunting. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Postman
04-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Im looking at things a little psycologically.Having also bought and sold antiques as a hobby for as long as Ive been detecting,Ive discovered that peaple are sentimental or attached to items,that are close to them in one way or another.Whether from thier childhood,or thier home,old or new,etc,etc.I also did landscaping for 25 years.I get info from the property owner on what they know of thier property historically.I also look for renovations that may have been done over the years,either to thier house,or thier grounds.Despite what they know,and what I can see,I let the property owner know not to be to optimistic.I don,t exaggerate,but try to be as realistic as possible,and then let them decide whether they want to lay out the money in the quest for some relics and artifacts.I,ll keep yous posted on how thinngs are working out.

hoser
04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Good for you. I can see where this would, or could open up a boatload of good hunting opportunities for you in the future. Good luck. Keep us posted on your results and hunts. :yes:

Postman
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Finished my second job detecting a little while ago.For those that are curious,and to put things into perspective the rate is $25 an hour.No pro rating.Start an hour,pay for a full one.I arrived,and got the low down from the owner.Prior to 1985,the property was own for 40 years by a plumber,about half acre size.Owner doesn,t know much after that.Only that the place is &quot:daydream:LD.After I dug up a metal 57 Chevy matchbox type car my next find was a horse shoe,nails still attached.Well begining to find some things out since my next find was a 1920 wheatie.Moving on an old rusted ax head.Over the next hour and a half found another metal car (Jeep),14 clad coins,some plumbing hardware,an old button I couldn,t ID,some broken china,and what may turn out to be the old trash pit.I say what may turn out to be,because the woman had to leave for an appointment,and I have another date to return next month.She got to keep the finds,and was estatic over the horse shoe find.I know a detectorist on Cape Cod that charges $35 an hour to look for lost items.A little to pricey for me,at least right now.Happy hunting.

coinnut
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the update. She loved the horse shoe lol If she only knew how many of them we find, but I guess it's like you said. Some people want that connection to their home and a horse pulling up to the front door, brings back old time memories. You rate is more than fair at $25.00 an hour. You can find a lot of targets in one hour. I think she will call you back, since she had such a great time of it. I think it's great for you and them. thumbsup01

Postman
04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks Coinnut,It's tough though,finding those coins,relics,etc and having to give them up.I look at every find as a trophy.Then i look at the time spent,and items found.Most times than not,the money outways the value of the finds.

coinnut
04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Wait until you have to cough up that Barber half rofl That'll hurt. I guess that's why I haven't really tried it myself yet. I still have lots of old park finds (medals, junk rings, tokens etc..) from the 70's lol They haven't increased in value one bit :confused:

Postman
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Well having a little bit of antique experience i know that thiers a collector for everything.70-80s stuff is pretty collectible these days,of course,condition is a big factor also.But you never know!!