PDA

View Full Version : Went searching for a cellar hole today...

Thiltzy
12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks to Frank a.k.a.(FSA46), for educating me on a particular map overlay. I wanted to put this map to the test today so I concentrated on some land that I was some what familar with and I noticed a building on an 1800's map that was no longer present on the 1934 map and when I checked current maps, I could easily tell that there was no houses in that area today.

After about 45 mins of searching, I felt like I was in the area that I needed to be. I started to ground balance my MXT pro when I noticed two ticks crawling up each leg >:/ >:/ ... gotta love cellar hole hunting :yes: anyway...I started my hunt after lighting both ticks on fire with my BIC lighter and a few mins into it, I started digging up a few relics.
Then I got my first coin which was a 1897 V-nickle at around 5 inches. A few more relics and a couple nails later I got a nice silver tone on the MXT and popped out a 1923 merc at 4-5 inches. I was expecting a date more in the range of the V-nickle so I started wondering if I was searching for a building that was still standing in the 1920's :interesting: The relics seemed to be the right time frame so I think I am getting close

OxShoeDrew
12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Sweet hunt :yes: That is one good looking V, especially for a pre1900. Ticks? On December 1st? >:(
Nice ox shoe too lol

aloldstuff
12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
WTG on the research and for lighting a fire under those nasty ticks.

del
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
nice recoveries Thiltzy |:cheering: |:cheering: i'll tell you something about that Frank , he's a class act gentleman . i hope you guys can get together for some water detecting sometime soon heck i wouldn't mind joining you two as well. congrats again on the coins.

Dan

fsa46
12-03-2012, 08:23 AM
nice recoveries Thiltzy |:cheering: |:cheering: i'll tell you something about that Frank , he's a class act gentleman . i hope you guys can get together for some water detecting sometime soon heck i wouldn't mind joining you two as well. congrats again on the coins.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I'm game. Well Todd, it looks like the ball is in your court.

Thiltzy
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks Dan.

I'm game. Well Todd, it looks like the ball is in your court.

I am usually only free on the weekends but, it just so happens that I am off all of next week which is week of December 9th. What ever day is good for the two of you let me know and we can dive into long island sound together :beerbuddy:

fsa46
12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
I am usually only free on the weekends but, it just so happens that I am off all of next week which is week of December 9th. What ever day is good for the two of you let me know and we can dive into long island sound together :beerbuddy:

Whatever works for you Dan. Awesome tides next week, however, they are later in the afternoon, later in the week and may be a problem.

Monday low tide in your area is around 2:30 PM, Tuesday we have the Christmas party, Wed. around 4:22 PM, Thurs. 5:14 PM Fri. 6: PM

Monday would be the best , time wise. Wed. we could probably hunt from 1PM to dark and the rest of the week is questionable, time wise.

Let me know what you want to do....