PDA

View Full Version : I think I dug a Rhode Island civil w cuff button

Thiltzy
12-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Dug a small button today and could see the image of an anchor on it so I thought it could be an interesting find. I am almost certain that it is a Rhode Island State seal Civil War cuff button but I am hoping that maybe some one can verify.

That back mark reads D.E. Evans & Co. Extra and there is still a lot of gold gilding on it. There is no shank and the back piece has come out :hairpulling:

del
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
yes Thiltzy its a Rhode Island state seal button it lists as RI-:clapping:. in the Alberts book. these were usually intended for officers only . wish it was in nicer condition , i don't know if i would do much to that one as you might lose more detail. did you find it in a low area that had standing water or muddy spot??

Dan

Thiltzy
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
yes Thiltzy its a Rhode Island state seal button it lists as RI-:clapping:. in the Alberts book. these were usually intended for officers only . wish it was in nicer condition , i don't know if i would do much to that one as you might lose more detail. did you find it in a low area that had standing water or muddy spot??

Dan

Found in the Farm fields that I found all the 18th century coppers. I may use Naval jelly but not sure yet.

del
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
there is still alot of gilt there under the dirt but the fertilizers have taken the metal where the gilt was worn off . if it was mine i'd try the naval jelly or the clr method to get the gilt to shine. good luck and please post a picture of your results , i would love to see it after.

Dan

buck57
12-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Great button Thiltzy. :congrats:

Thiltzy
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
[attachimg=4][attachimg=3]

there is still alot of gilt there under the dirt but the fertilizers have taken the metal where the gilt was worn off . if it was mine i'd try the naval jelly or the clr method to get the gilt to shine. good luck and please post a picture of your results , i would love to see it after.

Dan

Here ya go Dan. I did a very quick naval jelly cleaning

milco
12-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Great find and looks like it did pretty well! Gotta get me some of that naval jelly stuff, but where:huh:thinkingabout:

Ill Digger
12-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Great find and looks like it did pretty well! Gotta get me some of that naval jelly stuff, but where:huh:thinkingabout:
lol Me too! :yes: I used to have some a long time ago...but who knows were that's at now :confused: 8/ lol
You can get it at the hardware store. It looks like it does an amazing job! :perfect10:
Nice find and nice job cleaning it up! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

Thiltzy
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Thanks, all i did was dip a small paint brush in the jelly and spread it over the button and let it sit for about 2 mins. Then I rubbed in the nooks with a toothpick very gently and then rinsed with water. You don't want to leave the jelly on long unless the item is heavily encrusted.

You can get naval jelly any hardware store or even Lowes and Depot.

del
12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
nicely done Thiltzy |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

tanacat
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
:wow: That looks much better- amazing :shocked04:stretcher: Congrats on a great find :yes: :yes:

I'm going to get some of that naval jelly too. I've found a lot of buttons that say double gilt or gilt...

tanacat
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
if it was mine i'd try the naval jelly or the clr method to get the gilt to shine.

What is the clr method Dan? ::huh::