PDA

View Full Version : A great old coin spill!!

Snapolson
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I got out this morning for my usual extended hunt. After about three hours I had nothing but trash and a stinkin Lincoln penny spill. You know the kind: like 20 pennies sounding off in a one foot area. It takes away from finding the good stuff ya know? >:{

Anyway, I was on my way out and was getting ready to pack it in when I figure I'd try again in a super trashy section I've had luck in before. (I'm a glutton for punishment, what can I say!) lol

After removing some trash targets from one spot, I was able to get a jumpy but high numbered reading on the T2. After cutting a fairly messy plug it showed the target still in the hole. I used my Lesche tool to scoop out a lump of dirt and when I flung it out I saw three coins spill out! :wow: I saw the silver one first not sure it was a silver. As I looked closer I thought it might be one of those amusement tokens. After a picture I looked and realized I found a Barber quarter!! :shocked04: Not only that, but there were ultimately seven other coins lurking. Altogether I found two Buffalo nickels, two V nickles (First ones I've ever found!) and three wheats. Can anyone say happy dance?? :happy:

Then I purposefully slowed my tempo WAY down until I was moving the coil only faster than a crawl. I was able to pick out high reading targets doing this and I was rewarded with another Buffalo, the deepest coin I've ever dug: an 1895 Indian at about nine or ten inches deep! and a wheat. What a hunt. (Plus a teaser clad quarter: 1965)

All I can say is that I think I've finally figured out how to get through super trashy areas. The key is to slow way down and scan a spot over and over from different angles. This seems to make a big difference. I would have never found the last three coins in my normal mode of searching.

Well, thanks for looking and happy hunting as always! :groovy:

PS I have no idea what all the dates are. I couldn't get much off with a toothpick this time. Whatever. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, I almost forgot, putting together the nickels I realized, with the one Jeff nickel I found today that I got my first nickel trifecta! Yay!! Also, when I saw that a 1913-S would fetch about $10,000 I realized just how close I was to winning my own lottery! lol Maybe next time.

z118
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
That quarter is an absolute dream! What a spill that was! Fighting through the trash paid off big time. Congrats!

aloldstuff
12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Very nice hunting......going slow always gets the goods. :congrats: on the V's, buff's and that Barber quarter is fantastic looking. :perfect10:

dalewestaby
12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
awesome! yeah, i always have my discrimination set to Zero. Ide rather hear everything than miss a signal

Tony Two-Cent
12-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the awesome coin spill and the gorgeous Barber Quarter! :loveit:

Nice that you found your first V Nickels too! thumbsup01

:perfect10:

Ill Digger
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Sweet! <: Nice old pocket spill! thumbsup01
Congrats on your first 2 V nickles too! :peace:
Thats Barber quarter is in nice shape too! :drool: :loveit:

OxShoeDrew
12-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Nicest barber quarter I ever saw :drool: :smitten:

CODY
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
WOW! Very nice. Love those Barner Quarters! :smitten: :smitten: Still looking for my first. Great hunt, Great finds. :congrats:

Thiltzy
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Low and slow pays off all the time. great job and great coin spill :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

milco
12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
:peace: Now that is an awesome spill! One of the best I have seen in awhile! Congrats! Those coin spills, especially the ones with nickels in them, give off some really weird readings sometimes. I think that is why many people pass them up, it pays to dig it all! Congrats again!! :congrats:

docbars
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Thats pretty sweet

swamp yankee
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Low and slow = Great score on the spill,Barber's looking good. Should send bill for trash removal. Hope you get many more and HH in the future......

zrickkid
12-08-2012, 01:28 PM
that barber is a lovely coin. Way to go. :)

PL8MAN
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Very nice ! thumbsup01

jkress
12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
What a great spill!! :smitten:

The Barber Q is a gem. :happydance01: