PDA

View Full Version : Have been hunting house site in plowed field...

tanacat
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I've been having such an adventure hunting/swingin' in one of my favorite arrowhead fields :happydance01: It is such a neat feeling to be in the middle of 100 acres of plowed earth, the space and the freedom-from my 2 young sons rofl Seriously it is very therapeutic. I've been finding Native Am points and knives for years and have known there was a house on the top of the hill in the center of the field due to china, glass and brick debris. I've collected it over the years in a special tin with goal of making some stepping stones. I have also created a nice display of points that I hang on our family room wall.

So, I've finally been getting out there with my V3i and found this CW bullet :omg: Really surprised me! And 10 flat buttons! I'm determined to find a coin... going back out this afternoon for a few hours.

A funny story- I took my friend arrowhead hunting/md'ing there last spring (we only found a couple flat buttons and lots of square nails that trip). It was her first time in a plowed field and new to detecting and at one point she yelled out to me I found a buckle I said wooo hooo!

Then she said what does CSA stand for? :shocked03: I was like WHAT?! And then she cracked up laughing rofl She knows more than she lets on...

I haven't found a whole lot there yet because I only have a couple hours here and there, but thought I'd go ahead and share and maybe get some help getting a time period from these items. The property owner knows there was a cabin on the hill and thinks it was from early settlement -Lexington, Ky (1779). He told me there's rumor of nearby farm owner who kept his gold coins in a can along the old fence row near the new subdivision. Supposedly he had died suddenly and might be there. The old house is still there, so I plan to ask owners to look one day. :yes: The property owner said he lived in the house years ago and took one of those things (pointing at my detector) but couldn't find the gold.

Here's a pic of the field I took while driving by earlier this fall (waiting for the soybeans to be harvested)... :drool:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6917.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6930.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6976.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6954.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6972.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_6985.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7391.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7396.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7397.jpg

aloldstuff
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Very nice looking field. CSA....what, that would have had me going to. Nice looking flat buttons and I am sure there is a coin somewhere out there for ya. Nice tale of the gold being buried, hope its still there.

buck57
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Nice bunch of buttons there tanacat thumbsup01 If the ground don't freeze on ya, that 100 acre will keep you occupied all winter. Good luck on the gold coin stash and happy hunting to ya.

Bell-Two
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Tana that looks like a super field with that many old buttons I am sure you will find some coins there too. I love fields you don't always find much but the chance of something good is really enhanced.

chief5709
12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Keep at it!! the coins will come!

del
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
them some older buttons Tana , i see a small tombac there directly under the bullet(1770's to 1810) and a couple of others look right around 1800-1815 . keep hitting that field theres got to be an old copper or spanish reale somewhere nearby.

Dan

tanacat
12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
them some older buttons Tana , i see a small tombac there directly under the bullet(1770's to 1810) and a couple of others look right around 1800-1815 . keep hitting that field theres got to be an old copper or spanish reale somewhere nearby.

Dan

Wow, I do think this is an old site :yes: Thanks, I will keep looking for those LCs and reales!

I looked through my button collection and have another tombac. I wish I'd kept track of where I've found my buttons... I only do that w/coins. I was thinking they were newer type buttons. And here I was disappointed when I couldn't find a backmark lol

Keep at it!! the coins will come!

Thanks for incentive! I won't give up |:cheering:

Tana that looks like a super field with that many old buttons I am sure you will find some coins there too. I love fields you don't always find much but the chance of something good is really enhanced.

Yes and it's neat that you can search for arrowheads during the silence from detector, keeps from getting too bored. I have found quite a few pop tabs, most likely from the farmer tossing from the tractor :)

Nice bunch of buttons there tanacat thumbsup01 If the ground don't freeze on ya, that 100 acre will keep you occupied all winter. Good luck on the gold coin stash and happy hunting to ya.

Absolutely- I have a jack hammer for those frozen days rofl Plus the field is only about 5 minute drive from my house! I don't think I'll ever tire from that site.

Very nice looking field. CSA....what, that would have had me going to. Nice looking flat buttons and I am sure there is a coin somewhere out there for ya. Nice tale of the gold being buried, hope its still there.

You wouldn't believe how many tales of buried gold I've heard in these parts! I'm always skeptical when I hear them, but part of me is hopeful lol I'd be happy with a little cache, just a little old coin purse with some silver would be wonderful... :cheesysmile:

tanacat
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
So this is a 2 ring minie right? It's strange that it doesn't have the white layer like I always see (I found one without rings and had holes like for a necklace)... maybe fertilizers ate it away? It does have some chunks of it on it... calcium deposits from limestone in our soil maybe?

milco
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Those are some great finds and some great pics! That looks like a place to keep going back to year after year! Some of those pottery chards look very, very old, and the buttons are no doubt early 19th century. Good luck on future hunts!

tanacat
12-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Those are some great finds and some great pics! That looks like a place to keep going back to year after year! Some of those pottery chards look very, very old, and the buttons are no doubt early 19th century. Good luck on future hunts!

Thanks! I love the blue pieces even if a tiny one lol The owner of the nearby farm house gave the okay today :happydance01: He asked if we could split the gold and I said absolutely--- &quot:beerbuddy:oom Baby!!! :rolleyes: lol Wouldn't that be wild if I found that stash, if there is one? There's an old brick slave house on the property also :yes: Wish me luck!

Btw Is American Digger off the air now? I cringed most of the time, but still watched all of the episodes...

OxShoeDrew
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Dan
...and I think that large button on the right is a colonial dandy thumbsup01 ...no?

tanacat
12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
...and I think that large button on the right is a colonial dandy thumbsup01 ...no?

I think it has teeth marks in it... :-\ I imagine somebody was in a lot of pain when they clenched down on it.

RobW
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
:shocked04: That's a BIG field.....you can easily spend days there and never cover the same ground, much less going back time and again after plowing moves things around a bit! Those are some great buttons...there's definatly coins there.....somewhere :thinkingabout:...good luck finding the coin in the haystack lol

tanacat
12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
:shocked04: That's a BIG field.....you can easily spend days there and never cover the same ground, much less going back time and again after plowing moves things around a bit! Those are some great buttons...there's definatly coins there.....somewhere :thinkingabout:...good luck finding the coin in the haystack lol

It is a big field! It's overwhelming- the pics don't even do it justice. There are rolling hills and when you get to the top of a hill you see another hilltop of field without seeing the treeline. I think there are 5 hills. And on the other side of the barn there are about 40 more acres of plowed field :shocked04:stretcher:

lol about the coin in the haystack - that's what it feels like :) Nothin' like a good challenge. Thanks for the good luck

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
what a great lookin field! that place will keep you busy for a lifetime Tana! nice finds.lol at the buckle joke! <}

sniffy
12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Something extraordinary will surface

tanacat
12-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Something extraordinary will surface

This statement makes me want to get out there right now in 30 degree weather :yes: lol Actually planning to go for a couple hours after lunch rain or snow! Well, maybe not to the muddy field, but to the slave quarters and to fetch that can of gold coins by the tree line. I keep being sarcastic about the gold coins- but then it does happen... maybe I'll find some of Jesse James loot while I'm at it... lol

what a great lookin field! that place will keep you busy for a lifetime Tana! nice finds.lol at the buckle joke! <}

I thought you'd appreciate that Dave! And I took the pic of the wooly worm esp for you thumbsup01

bob_e99
12-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Those are some really nice finds and sounds like a fun site to hunt. It does bring up one question if you don't mind answering. How do you approach an area that large? When I do a large field, I get the urge to detect it all in one visit so I tend to swing maybe a little too quickly. You know, the grass always looks like it has more potential where I'm not swinging. Do you start on the edges, the middle, wander randomly or set up a pattern?

Thank you.

tanacat
12-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Those are some really nice finds and sounds like a fun site to hunt. It does bring up one question if you don't mind answering. How do you approach an area that large? When I do a large field, I get the urge to detect it all in one visit so I tend to swing maybe a little too quickly. You know, the grass always looks like it has more potential where I'm not swinging. Do you start on the edges, the middle, wander randomly or set up a pattern?

Thank you.

lol I totally relate to this! When I first started MDing I started a thread about that- asked suggestions on how to grid because I was always racing to another area, like you said, that had better potential ooh around that tree... I'll see if I can find that thread later, there were a lot of great suggestions.

As to your question about big fields, when I hunt for arrowheads (have been doing for about 20 yrs before I started metal detecting) I walk the fields starting from one corner along the edge, reach the end of field, drop my handful of flint chips to mark where I'd been (plus can see your footprints and hopefully noone elses- that you're the first one to hunt..) .but I've just now started md'ing in a plowed field -it's so fun to hunt for signs of life, not just 200 yrs back but up to 10,000 + yrs!

But I've just wandered aimlessly in that huge field, I've come to the conclusion that it's more fun and relaxing to just go here and there spontaneously than to do the gridding :) I have type B personality.

Oh just have to mention that I've used orange :usaflag:s to grid specific area (squares- about 10'x10' in grass) to help me focus. One day I did this method next to a front porch and pulled up oodles of nails and snips of aluminum siding and down below was my first seated dime 1877cc :happydance01:

A local MD friend/guru lol goes evvvveeerrrrrr so slowly - he suggests to move the coil about 2 side to side in same spot at least 3 times to hone in the really older coins. His collection of 1800's coins is amazing :yes: His name is Handyman on here but rarely comes online.

Anyway, thanks for the post :groovy:
Ramble ramble :interesting:

bob_e99
12-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Many, many thanks for your reply. You gave me a lot to think about.

The one thing I'm sure of is that the more I do this, it seems like the less I know.

Thanks again and continued good hunting. |:cheering:

Spiderwort
12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the pictures Tana. Makes me home sick when I see those Fall shots of harvested corn and bean fields. I'll be back in Hoosierland for Christmas and digging holes in my dad's corn fields for a week.

freemindstuck
02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice finds Tanacat!

If you have a GPS I'd mark all of my finds in a field that large. The fact that it's plowed will create strewn fields of relics or coins. Keeping track will help you map out the hot spots that you should concentrate on and maybe even grid.

Freemindstuck