PDA

View Full Version : IH's, Mercs, Rosies And A Barber

jkress
12-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Looks like yesterday and today might be about it around here. :frozen:

On Friday Ron and I set out to hunt three different parks in two towns. One we had searched before, the other two needed
a test drive before the season comes to an end.

Park 1 looked promising when we pulled up. Three Mercs found their way under my coil. This park is on the list for next year.
Park 2 has given many keepers over this season. However, only a lone IH came up for me yesterday.
Park 3 is another we hadn't searched yet. Although the 'drive up appeal' appears quite new, I had noticed the area
to have potential from 1940 aerial photos. Within an hour and a half before darkness, I pocketed a Rosie and Merc while
Ron managed a Washington, Merc and two Rosies. This park is definitely first up come spring. :yes:
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-78.jpg

This morning I received a long awaited call from an old B&amp:beerbuddy: here in town. She said she'd be there from 9:00-12:00 if I wanted
to give it a try. I wasn't planning on hunting this morning, nor was I expecting a call from her. Off I went. :cheesysmile:

Within 5 minutes of stepping foot on the property, a neighbor came over to chat. This old timer let me know he found many,
many nice coins in this yard over the years. crying01 Not quite what I wanted to hear. Very nice guy however. He's been detecting
since the 70's and shared many exciting stories with me from the glory years. :smitten:

We parted ways and I began my search. He left too many Wheat cents for me along with a few silvers and an IH.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-79.jpg

Plus this Barber. All letters of Liberty are visible.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-80.jpg

2012 was a fun metal detecting season. Although I wasn't able to hunt much in May, June and July... the rest of the year
went well. The sites Ron and I searched put 126 silver coins in my pocket and 125 in his. A very rewarding and exciting year. :beerbuddy:

dave in iowa
12-09-2012, 01:19 AM
great year , Joe , ...... good luck next year ,,,,,, hope its as good to you as this yewar , and Merry Christmas |:cheering:

dalewestaby
12-09-2012, 04:24 AM
i would say that berber dime is a 200 dollar coin :pirate:

aloldstuff
12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Joe, you got yourself some very nice keepers. Love that Barber. Don't you just love it when an old timer tells you that he has gotten some good items from the spot you are about to detect. This is a great argument for the new technology thats out there now. Huge :congrats: on all your finds.

Hope 2013 will be as productive for you as 2012 was.

PL8MAN
12-09-2012, 11:33 PM
A lot of great finds ! thumbsup01

milco
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
:congrats: Congrats on pulling in some nice keepers to cap off an amazing year!

leslie(nova scotia)
12-10-2012, 04:47 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....outstanding dig and year totals that I'm sure you can add to before the weather gets too bad. best of the season to youz and the brood me bouy! <;) :detecting:

buck57
12-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Excellent year for ya Joe. :congrats:

CyberSage
12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Glad you got out for a few more hunts Joe. Looks like you did great, as usual. Stay warm buddy.

Jack

Ill Digger
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Plus this Barber. All letters of Liberty are visible.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-80.jpg
lol If he left that behind who knows what else might be waiting there for ya! :drool:
You've defiantly had a great season of detecting! :yes:
Congrats! :grin:
But it ain't over quite yet! \:hammer:

Tony Two-Cent
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow! :wow:

A lot of great finds, Joe, but that 1897-O Barber Dime is incredible! I agree with Dale, it should easily be a $200 coin. Only 666,000 minted, definitely one of the more scarce Barbers, and it's in great shape!

It must be nice to know that you have some encouraging sites lined up for the spring! thumbsup01

Huge congrats on the finds! <:

jkress
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
hope its as good to you as this year

Thanks Dave. You had a great year too. :clapping: I'm hoping next year will bring up a couple more firsts for me.

i would say that barber dime is a 200 dollar coin :pirate:

It is my best Barber so far :) ... dollar wise.

This is a great argument for the new technology thats out there now.

It is, I joked with him that we have the challenge of finding the stuff that you guys missed. lol
However, his 30 year old detector did do a decent job at this 1880 site.

I hope 2013 puts more silver and copper in your pocket than this year. :beerbuddy:

A lot of great finds ! thumbsup01

Thanks PL8MAN. Right back at ya. |:confused:)

:congrats: Congrats on pulling in some nice keepers to cap off an amazing year!

Thank you Darren. I truly enjoyed following your year as well. :smitten:
Keep an eye out for those winter construction/scrape sites. thumbsup01

I'm sure you can add to before the weather gets too bad. best of the season to youz and the brood me bouy! <;) :detecting:

I appreciate it Leslie. You had some amazing finds this year. :clapping: Keep swinging and posting. :beerbuddy:

Excellent year for ya Joe. :congrats:

Thank you buck57. :) It was a fun season for me. :smitten:

Glad you got out for a few more hunts Joe. Looks like you did great, as usual. Stay warm buddy.
Jack

These were two fun days. As the water washed away the dirt from the reverse to reveal the 'O'... your recent
Barber came to mind. |:confused:)

But it ain't over quite yet! \:hammer:

lol I was just talking with Ron about this tonight. :embarrassed: The recent snow and low temps had me thinking it was over.
As I stuck my digger through the snow in the backyard today... it's soft!! <: The 40 degree temps over the next few days will
most more than likely melt the snow to reveal diggable ground for Friday. We might just get another hunt in. :daydream:

Only 666,000 minted, definitely one of the more scarce Barbers, and it's in great shape!

Yes... it was fun to look up the date and see only 666k minted. :smitten: I didn't clean it other than running under
water. Might have to do a bit more gentle cleaning. :yes:

Looks like Ron and I might be able to give the last park we hunted one more try on Friday. :yes: The ground should be soft.