PDA

View Full Version : Hunted a 1720 private homestead today...state copper and some keepers

Thiltzy
12-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Recently I got permission to hunt a 1720 house which is owned by a very kind couple. It is the original 1720 house with an addition that was added to the back of the home. There isn't alot of property around the house itself as the addition took away a good portion of the real estate. However, there is a field in the back that was used for farming a couple hundred years ago and a little open area on the right side of the original house.

I new that the home owner was interested in metal detecting and learning more about the history of his house. He even told me that his house had 2 ghost's...one inside the home and one that wandered the back field. He had mentioned that he never believed in paranormal or ghosts until he bought the house and witnessed the ghost with his own eyes :shocked03:. Seeing the original house and listening to the ghost stories was really getting me excited :drool:

I brought my back up machine(Whites M6), and since I new he was very interested in using a metal detector, I asked him to join me on the hunt. I was itching to start the hunt :detecting:, but I wanted to give the owner a full lesson on detecting and using the M6 properly to make sure he would have a good 1st experience.

An hour and a half later and I was finally ready to start the hunt. We started in the back field and the first target recovery turned up as a Connecticut State copper with bust facing to the left. Next was a large Flat button with shank broken in half. A few old farm tools later and we started to work our way towards the house.
We were popping up old flat buttons at regular intervals and I think I ended up with 6 in total. Aside from the coin, I think my favorite find was a nice shoe buckle with double fork chape even though the tongue was missing. I believe the buckle is circa 1720-1770. :smitten:

Another neat find was a pair of suspender strap buckles made by C.A. Edgarton Manufacturing Company (opened in 1882, became known as the President Suspender Company around 1900) in Shirley, Massachusetts (hence the name). :cool:

I was a little surprised I didn't find more coins but then again, I did not hunt a full day as I wanted to make sure the home owner was getting the hang of using my M6. In the end, we had a great time and the owner enjoyed himself so much that he ended up buying my M6 off me and told me I could come back anytime :grin:

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5][attachimg=6][attachimg=7][attachimg=8][attachimg=9][attachimg=10][attachimg=11]

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-09-2012, 11:31 PM
awesome finds! sounds like you may have a new detecting buddy too! love when people are so pleasant like that homeowner is.great job! |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
12-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Excellent hunt, what did the owner find?

chief5709
12-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Nice finds! sometimes taking the extra step with the property owner pays off! looks like you've got a great place to detect

RobW
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Very nice finds :clapping:
I too am curious, what did the owner find? :dontknow:

Thiltzy
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Very nice finds :clapping:
I too am curious, what did the owner find? :dontknow:

Excellent hunt, what did the owner find?

The owner found alot of iron, hinges, ox shoes etc. and some buttons. He siad he wanted to dig Iron relics so he did lol

del
12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
congrats on the state copper Thiltzy , it looks like a 87 draped bust variety but unfortunately i can't see enough detail to tell the exact type.hope you find more old coins there .

Dan

fsa46
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Always nice to fine homeowners like that. :yes: Looks like you both enjoyed the hunt. WTG. thumbsup01

sniffy
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like an outstanding field to hunt. I imagine that m6 will get some good exercise there.... :detecting:

aloldstuff
12-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Some great finds and :congrats: on bringing another person into the metal detecting world.

bob_e99
12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
:wow:

What a great site and what nice finds. That is certainly a detectorist's dream site. Kudos to the owner for letting you detect there.

:congrats:

Big Boys Hobbies
12-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Awesome digs! Congrats!