PDA

View Full Version : Why handheld why not inline

midas
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I noticed most use handheld pinpointers. I have the Sunray X1 and DX1 inlines for my machines and the depth and DISCRIMINATION is second to none.
When I used the Whites TDI SL, I was forced to use a handheld pinpointer - Pro Pointer, Bullseye and Pistol Probe. Machines like the TDI, Etrac, CTX etc. that have the ability to see thru iron imo require a pinpointer that uses the detector disc abilities.
My experience in the field had a lot of wasted time with the handheld pinpointers digging multiple iron targets (3 or more nails) out of the hole before I got to the coin, not to mention the limited depth of the handhelds.
When I use the Sunray probes I ONLY dig the coin saving me the time to go after more good targets. The handheld probes to me are pretty much useless. What I need to know is why do people like the handhelds? Have they ever tried the Sunray inlines?

MartinL
12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Easy answer for me. The handheld PP works with all of my various detectors, not just the one. It is seldom that I have found it a bother when there are junk targets in the same hole. It isn't that common for me to not find the main target on first retrieve. martin

Epi-hunter
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I could not agree with you more, midas. I have an inline probe on every one of my detectors and won't be without it. In fact it is the reason I won't be trying a CTX 3030.

I used to use a handheld pinpointer, but switched to the inline after getting my Minelab Explorer SE. I think that many people haven't tried the probes but when they do, they understand the advantages.

For basic coinshooting and digging relatively shallow holes (about 5 or less) I think the handheld would be okay.... mainly to use to find the target in the dirt pile after removing the dirt. But digging those very deep holes with the E-Trac just requires a probe in my opinion. For one thing, it helps locate the coin in the deep hole so you can dig around it and avoid damaging it. It is also extremely useful for deep iffy signals - after digging partway down and then using the probe, you can get a lot more information on the target you are recovering. It is literally like having a mini detector with disc abilities that you can insert into the hole.

CyberSage
12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I used a DX-1 for years on the DFX. It worked great, and was second to none in my opinion. Putting one on the V3/V3i was a nightmare, as is most third party products. :rolleyes: The probe would de-tune very quickly and start screaming or overload when I was in a EMI free area that could accommodate higher sensitivity settings. I tried another to make sure I did not have a bad one. Same result. The final straw was finding out that I could not achieve the same sensitivity settings with the inline in use as I could without it. The Pro Pointer was the solution for me at that time. When I moved to the E-Trac I naturally kept using the pro pointer. The advantages for me is it keeps the detector balanced as the factory intended it to be. I still get 3 plus inches with proximity capabilities. That's more than enough for me. As far as discrimination capabilities go... that's what my expensive detector is for.

Jack

del
12-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Jack , I couldn't agree more ... over the years i have detected with a few buddies that had the inline probe on their detectors , more than one guy went from finding a lot of targets on his dfx to finding a lot less after he put on his inline probe . i think the final straw on one individual was when he went over a great sounding deep target i had ( we often compared targets before we dug them) and it sounded like junk to him , boy was he shocked when it turned out to be a very sweet silver plated relic. he stopped using it and sure enough his finds greatly increased. i have heard of similar happenings to others as well . i think they can detune or offset the calibration a bit over time , the hand pipointers are fine for me as i take all the targets out of the hole when i'm recovering the good item after all why leave the junk for the other guy or myself if i return to regrid the area from another angle.

Dan

Lowjiber
12-13-2012, 07:10 AM
I like them. I have three White's machines and an Ace 250 (no kiddin) with SunRays.

Downsides...

With a couple of exceptions, they are not cross-platform compatible.

They are not available for the seemingly constant influx of new machines that hit the market every year.

The concept is amazingly simple. However, manufacturer has had numerous component availability issues over the years...everything from switches to connector plugs.

Retailers are reluctant to stock them. The cost and occasional non-availability doesn't lend itself well doesn't lend itself well to the often small retailer who needs inventory that will cycle through his store rapidly.
In a niche market like metal detecting equipment, very few small companies are successful at marketing their products for a variety of reasons...some of which are listed above. Killer Bee headphones are another example. They're the Rolls Royce of headsets, yet many detectorists have never heard of them.

POKIE73
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
i use both they both have there usesthe inline is far better to id your find but the handheld will find the target even if its a bad target at least you find it and move on to the next dennis :detecting: :detecting:

milco
12-13-2012, 08:49 PM
the hand pipointers are fine for me as i take all the targets out of the hole when i'm recovering the good item after all why leave the junk for the other guy or myself if i return to regrid the area from another angle.
Dan

Exactly!

midas
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank you for all the replies. The answers are as varied to pinpointers as to reasons why you choose a particular detector. When I was using the TDI SL with a handheld pinpointer, I wasted a lot of time digging nails out of the hole before I got to the coin. More than 5 minutes per dig most of the time. Using the Sunray on my other detectors, recovery time of a coin mixed in with iron is reduced to less than 2 minutes. Faster recovery time means more coins per hunt. But, I guess to each his own.
Was just curious as to why people use the handhelds vs the inlines.

CyberSage
12-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Pinpointers are as varied as detectors. Folks use different ones for different reasons. Some use Whites, and some use Minelab... or both. Great thread Midas!

Lowjiber
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Faster recovery time means more coins per hunt.
I couldn't agree more! With an in-line probe, I'll cut the average recovery time by twenty percent.

RobW
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I use a handheld.....don't like the idea of it being attached to a cord,or draining the battery. About half the time, I can whip out my handheld and pinpoint right from the surface. But I do agree, with John...faster recovery = more time to hunt=more coins :yes:..I carry a BIG shovel..I can knock out a plu in no time flat..and it saves the back a bit more too.

In the end... to each their own..whatever make you happy :beerbuddy:

RaZR
12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I started out with the bullseye from Whites. It seemed to have to be right next to the target to find it. Then i had a Vibra-probe which was waterproof and only vibrated and had auto on and off. It seemed to work well but still not alot of depth. I also had an in-line and maybe it was because i was used to the handheld models that i didn't care for it much. I actually sold the one for my White's machines and later tried one again for my E-trac. I sold that one too!
I just like the pro-pointer for the depth and it's easy to use. Besides, in my case the more time i take per recovery the fewer pulltabs i dig. rofl I may get another vibra-probe someday for use when i'm lake hunting. Just need to remember to tether it because they dont float! I almost lost my old one in the lake when it floated out of the holster. Luckily i found it on the bottom with my Beachhunter. 8/

GL/HH

Lodge Scent
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Jack , I couldn't agree more ... over the years i have detected with a few buddies that had the inline probe on their detectors , more than one guy went from finding a lot of targets on his dfx to finding a lot less after he put on his inline probe . i think the final straw on one individual was when he went over a great sounding deep target i had ( we often compared targets before we dug them) and it sounded like junk to him , boy was he shocked when it turned out to be a very sweet silver plated relic. he stopped using it and sure enough his finds greatly increased. i have heard of similar happenings to others as well . i think they can detune or offset the calibration a bit over time , the hand pipointers are fine for me as i take all the targets out of the hole when i'm recovering the good item after all why leave the junk for the other guy or myself if i return to regrid the area from another angle.

Dan

Sorry I'm a little late joining this thread but I think it is a good one. I've used the DX-1 for several years on my DFX and really like it ( I think). Dan your concerns about the DX-1 have me concerned. I did notice that when I ran the DFX with AutoTrack ON that it seemed the Ground Balance might sometimes shift significantly if I was using the DX-1 probe. That could have been all in my head but I did wonder about it. I have since mostly detected with AutoTrack OFF just because the sites I usually detect at are loaded with hot rocks and iron. The Ground Balance would sometimes get way out of whack (using DX-1 probe or NOT) at those sites, and I missed some easy targets because of it. I wonder if that might have been what your buddy was experiencing when your good target seemed like junk to him :dontknow:

Other than Ground Balance, it's not obvious to me what a DX-1 might influence. But you got me worried now. I'll have to try a few things :thinkingabout:

Jeff

del
01-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Sorry I'm a little late joining this thread but I think it is a good one. I've used the DX-1 for several years on my DFX and really like it ( I think). Dan your concerns about the DX-1 have me concerned. I did notice that when I ran the DFX with AutoTrack ON that it seemed the Ground Balance might sometimes shift significantly if I was using the DX-1 probe. That could have been all in my head but I did wonder about it. I have since mostly detected with AutoTrack OFF just because the sites I usually detect at are loaded with hot rocks and iron. The Ground Balance would sometimes get way out of whack (using DX-1 probe or NOT) at those sites, and I missed some easy targets because of it. I wonder if that might have been what your buddy was experiencing when your good target seemed like junk to him :dontknow:

Other than Ground Balance, it's not obvious to me what a DX-1 might influence. But you got me worried now. I'll have to try a few things :thinkingabout:

Jeff

Jeff its very possible it was affecting the ground balance in some way .

Lowjiber
01-31-2013, 07:10 AM
IMHO, I can't see any way the DX-1 can affect ground balance when searching with the detector's coil.

The switch completely cuts the DX-1 out of the circuit. You could cut the probe's wire and nothing would happen.

I'll agree that the Auto Trac is still on when you use the probe and the integration math is still adjusting the offset, unless you lock tracking when you turn on the probe... which hardly anyone does. A few swings with the coil after recovery will put it right back where it belongs.

KYBuzzBox
03-01-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a DX-1 on my V3i and I just push the trigger switch forward into pinpoint mode when I use the DX-1 and have never had any issue other than when I first got the DX-1 I forgot to switch it off a couple of times :embarrassed:. Also, I lost a couple of ProPointers >{, with DX-1 being attached, I have lost it yet. lol

OxShoeDrew
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Why aren't hand helds able to discriminate in the 21st century? Where's the outrage? :pirate: ;)

Tony Two-Cent
03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
The inline Sun Ray X-1 probe doesn't seem to be hampering the performance of Angel's E-Trac. thumbsup01

angellionel
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
The inline Sun Ray X-1 probe doesn't seem to be hampering the performance of Angel's E-Trac. thumbsup01

Oh man, Tony, I would hate to go detecting without it. :shocked04: I would be found in the middle of a field frenziedly trying to locate a deep target. :needadrink: lol

Bell-Two
03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Well why not both? I use both quite often in my hunts, quite often on a very clean signal the Garrett cuts to the chase and quickly locates the target, the inline really comes in handy when there are multiple targets giving you the discrimination so that you are not chasing a piece of junk.

wrvond
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I use a handheld.....don't like the idea of it being attached to a cord,or draining the battery. <snip>

The inline probe does not drain the battery. When the inline probe is on, the detector's coil is off, and vice versa. The detector is going to use the same amount of power, regardless.