PDA

View Full Version : Hunt with Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 – Roy Rogers saves the day.

Tony Two-Cent
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
This past weekend I traveled with my family to Joliet, IL as my step-daughter had a function there. I informed Ill Digger (Tim) that I was going to be in his neck of the woods to see if any of the northern Illinois crew might be available for a hunt on Sunday. Silver Star (Mike) found us a nice old park to hunt that was close to where I was staying. There ended up being five us, myself, Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 (Rob), and Ted.

It was a chilly morning and it rained off and on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)

I ended the day with 11 wheat cents, a 1937 Buffalo Nickel, a Missouri Tax Token, a religious medal, and a bunch of clad. I thought I was going to go silverless but right at the end of the hunt I got a nice silvery-sounding signal at 7” deep. Ted watched me dig this one up since it sounded so good. It ended up being a really neat sterling silver Roy Rogers ring from the 1940s. When I got home I did some research on the ring and I was surprised to learn that they usually sell for upwards of $300. That definitely lessened the sting of not finding any silver coins.

It was great finally getting to meet Silver Star (Mike), Tech125 (Rob) and Ted. It was a very fun day even if the weather was less than ideal. Of course I had already met Ill Digger (Tim) a couple of times before, and it's always a pleasure hunting with him.

Here are my finds for the day:

Keepers:

Buffalo:

Roy Rogers ring:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
12-11-2012, 11:50 AM
:shocked04: Oh man! I didn't even see the pistols on the sides of the ring! :loveit: Wow! I knew that one was going to be a goodie! :yes: thumbsup01
I'm sure anything Roy Rodgers is quite collectable :yes: That's a awesome find! :cool: :envious:
Congrats! :grin:

It was a chilly morning and it rained off on on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)
It's pretty amazing what he can do with that thing ain't it!?! :confused: 8/ :envious: lol
Like you said. If it weren't for watching Mike do what he was doing, I would've gave up on that place for finding any old coins. :rolleyes:

It was nice to hunt with you once again thumbsup01 Let us know if you'll be back up this way. We can go out and have Mike >:tongue: us all again. lol

aloldstuff
12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Tony, what a great find on that ring, huge :congrats:. Sounds like you all had a great time. That ring sure beats a silver dime.

Fire Fighter 43
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt. That ring is a very cool find, WTG |:cheering:

buck57
12-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey, cool ring Tony :cool: I agree with aloldstuff, where that ring beats a silver dime. Big congrats to ya, thumbsup01

Ill Digger
12-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I was looking around at Sterling silver Roy Rodgers rings on the internet and there are quite a few of them. :shocked01: As I thought there would be! :yes: lol
I kept seeing ads or listings for a oval Roy Rodgers ring. So I figured it would be the most sought after one out there. ::huh::
But that's not the case at all! \:hammer: The ring you found brings a higher premium! |:cheering:
I knew it when I seen it! :shocked04: That's gonna be a GOOD one! |:cheering: :yes:
Congrats again Tony!
I'll trade you the Rosie I found for it if you want :dontknow:..... just sayin'. :poke: lol

etrac1
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow great finds but that ring is really cool I would take that over a silver coin any day congrats

milco
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a great groupd hunt you had!! That Roy Rogers ring is awesome!! :clapping:

jkress
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Definitely sounds like you guys had a great time!! :clapping: Glad to hear you all spent some time together.

Tony, that ring is certainly a hunt highlight. Such a nice piece, especially since it is silver. :smitten: Fantastic find. :perfect10:

Honestly one of my favorite rings posted this year. I just love it. :smitten:

tanacat
12-13-2012, 08:11 AM
The RR ring is too cool! That's a fairly valuable collector's item- $300 :shocked04:stretcher: Congrats on a great hunt Tony!!! |:cheering:

RaZR
12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
A buff and some wheats would be a great hunt for me! But that ring is wicked cool! That's the kinda sweet find that makes all the digging worth it. :congrats: on another fine job of saving history for future generations. :cheesysmile:

GL/HH

CODY
12-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Wow. awesome finds. Love the RR ring. :smitten: Congrats on a great hunt.

JTGOLD
12-14-2012, 07:29 PM
:congrats: on the RR ring Tony,was just wondering if thoes coin came out of the saddle bags :grin: :grin:,,thats a nice buff nic too,good hunt Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,Terry

swamp yankee
12-14-2012, 10:13 PM
This past weekend I traveled with my family to Joliet, IL as my step-daughter had a function there. I let Ill Digger (Tim) know that I was going to be in his neck of the woods to see if any of the northern Illinois crew might be available for a hunt on Sunday. Silver Star (Mike) found us a nice old park to hunt that was close to where I was staying. There ended up being five us, myself, Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 (Rob), and Ted.

It was a chilly morning and it rained off and on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)

I ended the day with 11 wheat cents, a 1937 Buffalo Nickel, a Missouri Tax Token, a religious medal, and a bunch of clad. I thought I was going to go silverless but right at the end of the hunt I got a nice silvery-sounding signal at 7” deep. Ted watched me dig this one up since it sounded so good. It ended up being a really neat sterling silver Roy Rogers ring from the 1940s. When I got home I did some research on the ring and I was surprised to learn that they usually sell for upwards of $300. That definitely lessened the sting of not finding any silver coins.

It was great finally getting to meet Silver Star (Mike), Tech125 (Rob) and Ted. It was a very fun day even if the weather was less than ideal.

Here are my finds for the day:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Crest-Hill-Pile-1209.jpg

Keepers:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Crest-Hill-Display-1209.jpg

Buffalo:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Crest-Hill-Buffalo-1209.jpg

Roy Rogers ring:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Roy-Rogers-Ring-4.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Roy-Rogers-Ring-2.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Roy-Rogers-Ring-3.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Roy-Rogers-Ring-Side.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Tony, great find on the ring! Haven't seen one since my childhood in Mass. when we watched him on tee-vee on Sat. morning. .....

POKIE73
12-14-2012, 10:45 PM
congrats on a great find they always make the hunt worthwhile dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

NAS
12-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Nice hunt! That ring is awesome, it's decorated at a very nice way! Beautiful |:cheering:

PL8MAN
12-15-2012, 10:24 PM
That is one of the coolest rings I have seen ! Great finds thumbsup01
Glen

pulltabsteve
12-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Sweet hunt Tony! Love the medal and of course that RR ring is very cool!! |:cheering: <:

anvilmanco
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
:shocked04: Oh man! I didn't even see the pistols on the sides of the ring! :loveit: Wow! I knew that one was going to be a goodie! :yes: thumbsup01
I'm sure anything Roy Rodgers is quite collectable :yes: That's a awesome find! :cool: :envious:
Congrats! :grin:
It's pretty amazing what he can do with that thing ain't it!?! :confused: 8/ :envious: lol
Like you said. If it weren't for watching Mike do what he was doing, I would've gave up on that place for finding any old coins. :rolleyes:

It was nice to hunt with you once again thumbsup01 Let us know if you'll be back up this way. We can go out and have Mike >:tongue: us all again. lol

Tony, i finally clicked on the silver ring in the CRAWL at the top of Home page and what a story. I never knew those Silver Roy Rogers rings excisted. That is one heck of a find. My wife loved Roy and she'd love you if you just sent it to her. :cheering: Nah, just kidding.. I wonder if anyone else has ever found one of those??

Good job.

EKW

midas
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
That Roy Rogers ring in sterling is pretty scarce as most of the toy rings from that era are brass. Overstreet Toy Ring price guide puts it at $125-$300 depending on condition. GREAT FIND.

Cheap Thrills
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
The Roy Rogers ring is magnificent !!! Way to go .Nice that you guys could all get together . :grouphug: :perfect10: