PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED - MIND BLOWN!!!

z118
12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
:shocked03: :shocked03: :shocked03:

Just got back, too numb and muddy still to post details, will update in a bit... I think it's been holed and something iron was through it, I need to figure out how to get the rust off / out.

Wow!

bob_e99
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
:wow:

That is a really sweet find despite the condition.

:congrats:

JTGOLD
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
very nice silver finds,wtg.

aloldstuff
12-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Definately the trime is on my hit list. :congrats: on getting one, no matter what shape its in.

Ill Digger
12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Come on! :dontknow: You gotta be warmed up and cleaned up by now..... :->
That's a great find Z! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
That's one that's on my wish list ..... big time! :drool:

I need to figure out how to get the rust off / out.

:thinkingabout: I think I'd try and push it out with a small nail or a small punch, if I was going to try and get the rusty piece out of there.
But I'm not sure if I would? :confused: Hmmm :-\ I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it ! lol

z118
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
So! I managed to get out today with about two hours of daylight left. I headed to a wooded spot that has been good to me this year. Not many targets but a few nice old coins in a handful of hunts. The first hour or so was pretty slow, with only a few sparse targets including a junky brooch, a dog tag, and some other stuff. As I'm wrapping things up and writing the hunt off as a bust in my head, I get a junk tone. Pull tab I thought. I kicked some leaves aside and there was a round piece of metal - it looked like aluminum with some rust on it. But as I rubbed some dirt off it looked more like silver than aluminum. I flipped it over and saw the III and then I knew what it was. I nearly wet myself. I was stunned, and happy. I thought about shutting down the Etrac and heading home right then and there. But I didn't, and few minutes later I hit the Merc. I probably should have left after the trime, because that Merc, which normally would have made my whole week, barely even registered in my head.

So the trime is in rough, rough shape. I got the rust out of the hole, which is pretty big. I wonder what happened to this coin. Seems like a pretty big and crude hole for putting the coin on a string. One way or another I'm pleased as punch with the result of this hunt. The Merc is sweet too, but pales in comparison to the trime, which until now I would have considered one of the less achievable coins on my bucket list.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

milco
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Congrats on the trime! Now that's a coin on many of our lists!

swamp yankee
12-14-2012, 09:27 PM
:shocked03: :shocked03: :shocked03:

Just got back, too numb and muddy still to post details, will update in a bit... I think it's been holed and something iron was through it, I need to figure out how to get the rust off / out.

Wow!

Too bad about the hole in the trime but at least you have one,congrats! Merc's in good shape,keep hitting the spot and you'll find others HH and best of luck....

ChrisinCT
12-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Nice finds
What is a trime ? Never heard of or seen one before.

z118
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Nice finds
What is a trime ? Never heard of or seen one before.

http://www.coinfacts.com/three_cents/three_cents_silver/three_cents_silver_by_date.html

POKIE73
12-14-2012, 10:40 PM
:congrats: :congrats:what a find you have there not many of them are found :detecting:yes:ou have got a great find in the trime again congrats on a great hunt dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
What a find! That's one coin that is on most people's list! (Including mine!)

I think the hole adds history and character to the coin. I'd guess that someone wore it around their neck on a chain or string.

Incredible find! <:

Ill Digger
12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
But I didn't, and few minutes later I hit the Merc. I probably should have left after the trime, because that Merc, which normally would have made my whole week, barely even registered in my head. <} :hysterical: I can totally relate to that! lol

So the trime is in rough, rough shape. I got the rust out of the hole, which is pretty big ..
So how did you finally decide to get the rusty piece out of the hole? ::huh::

Seems like a pretty big and crude hole for putting the coin on a string.
:thinkingabout: It may have been nailed to something. :dontknow: The nail and piece of wood may have rotted and rusted away after 155 years. :dontknow:

del
12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
some old looking relics there and congrats on the silver three-center Z :clapping: :clapping:

z118
12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the comments all!

<} :hysterical: I can totally relate to that! lol
So how did you finally decide to get the rusty piece out of the hole? ::huh::
:thinkingabout: It may have been nailed to something. :dontknow: The nail and piece of wood may have rotted and rusted away after 155 years. :dontknow:

I tapped it gently with a small finish nail, and then picked at it with my fingernail. The rust mostly flaked off after the main chunk came out. I agree with you that it was likely nailed to something. Seems like the most likely answer anyway.

ChrisinCT
12-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Z118 thanks for the link. Really neat coin. Congrats

CODY
12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Awesome find! :perfect10: :congrats:

RobW
12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Awsome!!! |:confused:)

DirtyMoney
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
:wow: Congrats on a coin that many of us may never see in the flesh(silver). Absolutely amazing.

HH & Merry Christmas

jkress
12-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Good lord... :perfect10: I'd be right there mind blown with you if I dug such a beauty. :twirlingeyes:

Definitely an amazing coin to find. :smitten: I can only hope to find one someday. Congratulations sir.