PDA

View Full Version : Large cent and relics at my most difficult cellar hole hunt to date

Thiltzy
12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
So after alot of research I headed out in hopes of finding a cellar hole. :crossfingers: A one hour drive and a 20 minute hike into the woods and I stumbled upon an old abandoned dirt road.[attachimg=1]

A good sign that I was heading in the right area so I followed the road north until it forked off in two directions and as I was deciding which direction to head, I looked to my left and there it was :shocked04:... just on the other side of the stone walls :cool: I could have very easily walked right by it.
[attachimg=2]

By the looks of it, I knew I was in for some very ruff hunting. There was a huge pile of stones in the center of the hole and the over growth was covering about 80% of the area that I felt would be the best to hunt, and ta boot...the cellar hole was located at the top of a steep decline. With barely enough room to swing my coil I began manuvering up and down this steep incline near the front of the cellar hole while at the same time burning a multitude of ticks of my pant legs.

Iron was every where around the hole and then I finally got my first repeatable target which was reading as an 80 VDI on my Mxt Pro. After Pin pointing it at 4 inches and I could see some green patina peaking through the dirt in my hole. I pulled out a green disc which turned up as Matron head in decent shape. However, as with most of my Large Cent finds, I could not make out any date. So my first target turned out to be my only coin find but I did recover a few buttons and a cool hatchet head.

All the wrestling with the brush over growth and the constant burning in my legs from being on an incline really wore me out. Crazy as it sounds... I did feel a sense of accomplishment and satsfaction. A glutton for punishment and looking forward to the next adventure. Happy Hunting!

del
12-15-2012, 10:45 PM
hey Thiltzy , congrats on the large cent and relics. after all these years i still have never found a shingling hatchet :dontknow: . the cellar soesn't look to bad , bow the best time of year to hit them overgrown ones just be mindful of the ticks in that brush.

Thiltzy
12-16-2012, 12:22 AM
hey Thiltzy , congrats on the large cent and relics. after all these years i still have never found a shingling hatchet :dontknow: . the cellar soesn't look to bad , bow the best time of year to hit them overgrown ones just be mindful of the ticks in that brush.

This is another pic of the cellar whole del

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2012, 07:35 AM
ah ha! another bic to the tick detectorist! |:cheering: they smell so scrumcious when they pop like a corn kernal huh :barf: awesome hunt and i bet you find some more relics on return trips.thats if ya go back.where the heck do you live anyways?

aloldstuff
12-16-2012, 11:01 AM
As rough as the hunting was you still managed to get some great keepers. I have a hard time detecting on hills also and really do prefer flat land. :congrats: on your keepers and on finding that cellar hole.

Rob L
12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the nice finds. Buttons are alays great to find. As far as large cents go I'll take them in any condition.Toasted or not, I still love finding them. :) Again congrats.

angellionel
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Judging from the site and finds, that must have been a fun hunt. |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I actually walked right over a hole and kept going....Merc and Safari Scott called me back about 10 min later. I had to admit that I missed it....and it wasn't the first time I walked right by one. I'm glad you found it and got some keepers. Nice job.

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Funny how it's always the backs of those large cents that look so good and then the front is toast!

buck57
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Congrats Thiltzy on a yet again another nice collar hole. thumbsup01. Your research does pay off. Man those are some big cent pieces :wow:. Great pics. Good hunting to ya?