PDA

View Full Version : Last Hunt of year?

bob_e99
12-16-2012, 08:40 AM
The last couple of fields that I hit have been frozen in spots, especially where the daytime sun never reaches so I decided to hit some woods. The year started off pretty good for silver but the summer heat appears to have evaporated silver coins along with the water. Things improved slightly in the fall and I was hoping to end the year on a positive note with at least one more silver but I guess that just wasn't going to happen.

In any case, I did come up with two more tombacs or dandies or whatever (I think). The one on the left is curved and the broken piece on the back doesn't look like it may have been a circular attachment like the one on the right so it may not be anything special. I may have reached a point where anything metal looks interesting so I apologize if I posted a simple piece of junk.

Thank you for looking and happy hunting to those in the warmer climates and a happy winter to those who have to deal with snow and frozen grounds.

del
12-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Bob if they are about the size of a quarter or larger and a brownish or ruddy red in color (brass and copper alloy) with a design then they classify as a dandy . those look like two great dandy examples to me , i personally could dig buttons like that all day. |:cheering: |:cheering:

Rob L
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Congrats on those buttons. Next to coins, I like finding buttons best. Hopefully you'll be able to get out there once more.

z118
12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Those are some great buttons! I'm lucky to pull one or two that old or nice in a year. The ground hasn't started to freeze up here at all yet some I'm hopeful for a few more hunts yet... but we'll see!

bob_e99
12-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Bob if they are about the size of a quarter or larger and a brownish or ruddy red in color (brass and copper alloy) with a design then they classify as a dandy . those look like two great dandy examples to me , i personally could dig buttons like that all day. |:cheering: |:cheering:

Thank you Dan for clarifying the difference between the two. :clapping: I should have shown a reference in the picture and have included a new one to do that.

Congrats on those buttons. Next to coins, I like finding buttons best. Hopefully you'll be able to get out there once more.

Thank you. While I very much enjoy the buttons and relics, it's always nice to have an old copper or silver in the final total. :)

buck57
12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice way to end the year Bob :congrats: By the way, what exactly is a dandy? Hope your winter is short, and your fields warm back up soon. :yes:

bob_e99
12-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Nice way to end the year Bob :congrats: By the way, what exactly is a dandy? Hope your winter is short, and your fields warm back up soon. :yes:

Thank you.

From what I can find, during that period, young men who were well off (Dandies) vied with each other to be more outrageously dressed than the next. Consequently large buttons become the vogue, the larger and more ornate the better. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

OxShoeDrew
12-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Nice finds, does anyone know when domed dandies were prevalent vs the flat dandies?

buck57
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. Always enjoy the stories behind unusual finds. HH to ya...

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
sweet colonial buttons.they would look gorgeous cleaned up!

bob_e99
12-22-2012, 08:18 PM
sweet colonial buttons.they would look gorgeous cleaned up!

I was thinking about that. Any thoughts as to the best method? I tried a coin cleaner but it really didn't do very much.

Thank you.