PDA

View Full Version : Silver, Golden Buff, etc

z118
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
We had a fantastic December weekend weather wise in Upstate NY. I got out on Saturday and Sunday for some nice hunts. Saturday I hit a spot that had yielded a V nickel, several buffs, and a mess of wheats in a hunt a few weeks earlier with my dad. I was certain there was still some silver there somewhere. Targets were a little slow although I managed to dig several more wheats and another Buff before finding a nice silver pendant on a silver chain and then a lonely Rosie. Not the finest silver coin by any stretch but I was glad to dig it as it gave me that nice feeling of finding what I went looking for.

Sunday I started out in a tot lot where I dug a Swiss 1/2 franc and then a gold plated '37 Buff. This is my second tot lot Buff this year... weird! And I am thanking the metal detecting gods that I found this in a tot lot where it was immediately obvious what it was as opposed to digging it in the dirt in which case I likely would have had a heart attack seeing a gold colored coin come out of the hole. My wife would likely have started wondering about me by now and then they would have found me in a field somewhere either dead or unconscious with a big stupid smile on my face. lol Kind of a shame this coin is plated as it looks to be in great shape otherwise.

After that I hit another school field where I had pulled a handful of wheats in earlier hunts. I suspected silver may be lurking and was determined to prove myself right. I hunted for several hours during which I dug 9 wheats, a 1950 Canadian penny, and a deep 1940 nickel. The lack of silver and clad quarters had me thinking this place must have been cherry picked at some point. But then I got a nice small silver ring which made things better, and as I was headed back to my car I hit a nice tone and down deep pulled a shiny silver Rosie. Again, not a fancy coin but it sure made my day.

Anyway, thanks for looking and happy hunting!

ChrisinCT
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow nice haul. Love the gold buff. I would have crapped my pants if I had seen that in a hole.

Tony Two-Cent
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I love that gold plated Buffalo Nickel! Very cool! I know what you're saying about finding it in a tot lot versus digging it up from the ground. Like you, I would have had a heart attack right there on the spot!

Nice finds, congrats! :clapping:

bob_e99
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
:shocked03: :crying02: :shocked03: crying01 :shocked03: :crying02: :shocked03: crying01

It looks like you had a very good weekend :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: but I don't understand why you're getting nice weather and we're getting snow and freezing rain. Isn't this suppose to be your weather? I may change my mind about moving closer to you.

:congrats:

On your weekend hunts. The gold plated buffalo is an awesome find and the silver is making me very envious :envious:

buck57
12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Z, excellent weekend hunt :perfect10: Like every on else, that's a beauty of a buffalo thumbsup01

CODY
12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Yep, that gold buff would have made me take a deep breath. Lots of great finds. :congrats:

jkress
12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Another great round Z. :clapping:

Love the oldies... especially the gold Buff. :smitten: Haven't seen one posted before.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....good month and a bonus to be able to dig this time of year. Neat Swiss coin. Best ofthe season to you! <;)

dalewestaby
12-20-2012, 11:43 PM
man o man that is a ton of coool stufff!!! nice finds dude!

aloldstuff
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
That sure is a lot of digging and love the golden buff. I wish my buffs came out of the ground like that.

ChrisinCT
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I just saw a commercial on TV selling the golden buffalo for $9.95.

They are touting them as a $50 mint something or other .