PDA

View Full Version : a copper day with Coinnut

del
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Coinnut and i set out this morning on our usual grueling 6 to 8 hour cellar hunt , this particular site was found earlier in
the year but it was the first time detecting it. tons of area and it seamed like miles of stone walls and like usual it was hit very hard
the finds were very far spread out but i had a good feeling earlier in the week about it . as the finds started showing up we realized it was apparent it was a very old cellar site ( which is another reason why there wasn't alot of targets ) probably just
before 1750's to maybe the 1820's at most from the tell tale finds. todays highlights were the 2 matching shoe
buckles (1 is just outer frame ,the other has frame and most of the chape and tongue with it ) and the 2 coppers
(1723 King George , and a 1745 King George II ) 9 buttons and some ods and ends. today was a nice spring like day
really enjoyed it. hey thanks for looking and HH everyone.

Dan

John M
04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Way to go Dan on them Coppers.They both look like they are in decent shape.The buckles are nice finds as well.
Did you guys come back down to the area we hit last week?Was a very nice day to be in the woods and with those finds you should be feeling good.
Had to do the Dad thing today as the softball season started today,only had a short 90 min ride to Naugatuck and no relics to show for it.Hopefully will have a few weekends free over the next couple of months.

angellionel
04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Very nice finds Dan, and those are some sweet old coppers. It was a great day out there, and no doubt perfect for cellar hole hunting. I'm guessing that cellar hole deserves another trip. :yes:

del
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Did you guys come back down to the area we hit last week?Was a very nice day to be in the woods and with those finds you should be feeling good.

thanks John , no we stayed up in these parts . we'll save a second trip out that way when your free to get out .

Very nice finds Dan, and those are some sweet old coppers. It was a great day out there, and no doubt perfect for cellar hole hunting. I'm guessing that cellar hole deserves another trip. :yes:

thanks you Angel ya it was nice and i even played nice today and save a copper for George to find lol lol

coinnut
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
thanks you Angel ya it was nice and i even played nice today and save a copper for George to find lol lol

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :crazy:

Had a good day detecting With Del. I even let him find the nicer coppers lol I managed one copper on the first hunt of the day. A very thin and beat 1810 Classic head. I had a scratch it kinda day today lol Had to use my broken folding saw to get this one out from under a huge tree root. I clipped it good. Got some buttons, a cufflink, musket balls, etc.. Then went for my usual second hunt until about 7:30 tonight. Hit an old reliable house and did good. First time using my snowshoe coil and it did great. thumbsup01 Got my second copper 1848 and it was so shallow that I thougth it was more aluminum flashing.....so, I knick the back of it :rolleyes: a 1921 Wheat, some kind of ornament. I though car hood when it was dirty, but now I'm not sure :confused: I think it will become a bar tap lol since it's threaded on the bottom. Last but not least, this oval US plate in pewter...and NO I did not scratch this one. The plows took care of that for me :ticked: Never seen a pewter one before. Any ideas on it? That's it.. thanks for looking :shocked04:

angellionel
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Those are some cool finds, George. That US plate is a very nice find, but it sure took a beating. :shocked04:stretcher: Pulling coppers from under roots can be a hair pulling event. lol Nice digs. thumbsup01

del
04-10-2010, 09:51 PM
hey alright got a second copper thumbsup01 , i don't know is it me or did your dfx find nicer ones than the e-trac . lol lol :tongue: your due for a good one real soon. to bad the US plate is so rough , are you sure its pewter and not some cheap cast metal from
alot later in the time era. :confused: that area deserves further investigating for more sites plus that other road we haven't even gone to yet.
it was good to get out . congrats on the coppers , George.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-11-2010, 05:46 AM
congrats guys!!!!! thumbsup01 nice stuff and that KG II is sweet! :smitten:

John M
04-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Two coppers for both not bad.
Hey scratchy.....um I mean George,whats up with being nice to Dan and letting him have the Colonials and you settling for the U.S. coins? :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's the whites going over it and saying yep it is a copper but a beat up one,better ones ahead let the minelab guy dig this one. rofl rofl rofl rofl
Sorry Bud just having some fun.

I'd take that U.S. Buckle any day George even in it's condition.I'm thinking like Dan on this one (scary) as to it being later on when brass was probably getting scarce.

sniffy
04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
NIce coppers, but wow....a pewter US buckle? Too bad it's all banged up to smithereens. Nice job guys.

coinnut
04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey scratchy.....um I mean George,whats up with being nice to Dan and letting him have the Colonials and you settling for the U.S. coins? :confused: :confused:

I just gave him the crappy common British stuff. He get's upset when I find the good stuff, so I feed him a bone every once in a while. You notice I haven't given him any Connecticuts lately lol Or any Massachusetts either :confused:

The buckle looks like pewter to me. It corrodes the same and get's that brittle look to it. Could be some sort of cast metal. I would think that any of them metals would have the main component as lead? I'll have to Google it and see what made back then. Didn't they have them things on ammunition boxes also? Maybe it's not a belt buckle after all, but some other type of buckle?

John M
04-12-2010, 03:39 AM
George they did use them on munition boxes.But the hook that is showing on yours is a belt buckle hook.

SeabeeRon
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Wish I had relics like that out this way, some sweet finds guys!! :drool: :drool:

Epi-hunter
04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Those are some beautiful finds. I love the relics, but do you know that finding just one of those coins, just once in my life, would make my decade? lol

coinnut
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Those are some beautiful finds. I love the relics, but do you know that finding just one of those coins, just once in my life, would make my decade? lol

lol lol Well then you need to quit your job, move out here and detect daily rofl Then you would have all the coppers you wanted thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-14-2010, 02:54 AM
G i posted pics of your oval plate (with your mentors permission of course) on TQ's Civil War Quest.see what kind of feedback we get on it.keep ya posted man.a couple good guys down south on there that know their stuff should be replying soon! thumbsup01

coinnut
04-14-2010, 05:08 AM
G i posted pics of your oval plate (with your mentors permission of course) on TQ's Civil War Quest.see what kind of feedback we get on it.keep ya posted man.a couple good guys down south on there that know their stuff should be replying soon! thumbsup01

Thanks Davie lol I appreciate that thumbsup01 I am curious on what that piece could have been and how old it is. I'm figuring 1820's or 30's, but one never knows. Hope it gets an ID

sjv
04-14-2010, 02:29 PM
:bangahead01: That your oldest coin now? I still have that 1733 I found, remember that day lol. No windshield wipers, pouring rain, no heat. Any club hunts coming up . Have to join before the years over again lol. What's the hours again?

Looks like another rainy weekend except sunday maybe. Oh well, call let me know what's up.

del
04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
:bangahead01: That your oldest coin now? I still have that 1733 I found, remember that day lol. No windshield wipers, pouring rain, no heat. Any club hunts coming up . Have to join before the years over again lol. What's the hours again?

Looks like another rainy weekend except sunday maybe. Oh well, call let me know what's up.

no my oldest is a William and Mary copper (1694-96) Sal but its extremely worn , we don't let a little rain stop us . ya you missed the YTC club last
night but i don't think they have any hunts planned anytime soon .

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
G this was rogers reply to your belt plate.i posted the pics on CW forum.
raw-war-digger
Administrator Join Date: Oct 2005

It is an original small US Oval. Made of stamped brass with lead fill in the back. The plow damaged the plate and cracked the lead.
Nice Find! I've always hoped to find a small one but that is still on my list.
Thanks for sharing, HH, Roger

KirkPA
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
You guys always seem to be able to sniff the shoe buckle chapes out of the ground. I love digging them as weird as that may sound since they are broken buckle pieces. rofl You had a well-rounded hunt, my Colonial friend. It is always nice to see the duo kicking some butt!

Kirk

coinnut
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
G this was rogers reply to your belt plate.i posted the pics on CW forum.
raw-war-digger
Administrator Join Date: Oct 2005

It is an original small US Oval. Made of stamped brass with lead fill in the back. The plow damaged the plate and cracked the lead.
Nice Find! I've always hoped to find a small one but that is still on my list.
Thanks for sharing, HH, Roger

Thank Roger for me Dave. thumbsup01 I didn't realize that they made them so small. Put a couple of coppers side by side with a bit of overlap and that is the size of the buckle :shocked04:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank Roger for me Dave. thumbsup01 I didn't realize that they made them so small. Put a couple of coppers side by side with a bit of overlap and that is the size of the buckle :shocked04:

thank roger? gessh wheres my thanks? :crying02: :crying02: i see how ya are :bop: :tongue:
j/k i will thank him for you rofl

coinnut
04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
thank roger? gessh wheres my thanks? :crying02: :crying02: i see how ya are :bop: :tongue:
j/k i will thank him for you rofl

Thank You Davie :rolleyes: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Thank You Davie :rolleyes: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: rofl

awwww :cheesysmile: blushin stop it :kiss:

del
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
O.K enough you two , you might want to privately pm each other before the rest of us get sick or get a room. lol lol rofl

coinnut
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
O.K enough you two , you might want to privately pm each other before the rest of us get sick or get a room. lol lol rofl

Hey, I had to use what emoticons we had. Where's the pat on the head one? I guess this one will have to do :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown:, this is kinda a pat too :bop: :bop: :bop:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-21-2010, 07:54 PM
link for your buckle G MAN! thumbsup01
Hey Dave & Coinnut,
This link from Harry Ridgeway's collection shows two examples at the bottom.

http://www.relicman.com/plates/zArchivePlateFedGovUSOvalPat518and519.htm

Keep On Diggin', Good Luck & Happy Hunting, Roger

coinnut
04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
link for your buckle G MAN! thumbsup01
Hey Dave & Coinnut,
This link from Harry Ridgeway's collection shows two examples at the bottom.

http://www.relicman.com/plates/zArchivePlateFedGovUSOvalPat518and519.htm

Keep On Diggin', Good Luck & Happy Hunting, Roger

Hey, here's that pat on the head for all your troubles :bop: :bop: :bop: Thanks for the link thumbsup01