PDA

View Full Version : Last two hunts , gold and a relic UPDATED

Cheap Thrills
12-18-2012, 03:35 AM
No new spots or opportunities have become available in the last few months and stuff has been happening to curtail the time for ventures to farther and different spots so the better finds have only been an ocassional wheat or Roosie in my same old spots .Nothing to really post til' the last couple of hunts . The first hunt got me the cool old relic lock and a couple of coins and my last hunt got me the Gold St. George sailors medallion and even a little more clad than I've been finding recently .The lock was down 8 and sounded off very loudly it appeared as a copper cent on the smartfind . The medallion was barely an inch deep in the wet , muddy grass roots . The coin under the medallion is from Indonesia . I was using an Ultimate 13 coil on my Explorer SE .The coil has good depth and coverage and feels a lot lighter than it looks .It's much more bearable to swing than the 1:blackeye:12 SEF
which is also a great coil and may even be a better performer but I didn't keep it long enough to do more extensive testing after I started using the 13 .My 2 coils of choice for the Explorer have come down to the Sunray X8 and the Detech Ultimate 13 .

Tony Two-Cent
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Very cool finds! I love the old padlock. Does it say anything on it?

And of course the gold medallion is awesome! What does the marking on the back say? Is the karat indicated?

Great finds! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
That lock looks really cool. Always like to see gold posted and as Tony stated, any KT indicated. Some nice hunting, keep at it cause there is more out there. :congrats:

Cheap Thrills
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
That lock looks really cool. Always like to see gold posted and as Tony stated, any KT indicated. Some nice hunting, keep at it cause there is more out there. :congrats:

Very cool finds! I love the old padlock. Does it say anything on it?

And of course the gold medallion is awesome! What does the marking on the back say? Is the karat indicated?

Great finds! :perfect10:

Thanks Tony and Al ,

No names or marks as of yet on the old Padlock but I'm taking my time and very carefully cleaning it , something may yet show up on it .

There are some kind of stamped markings on the back of the gold medallion ( very poorly done or worn ) but even with 6 different people looking at it through a 60 power loupe we could not get a definite reading . The sharper eyes said it looked like there were 5's , a 1 and possibly an eight . A weight or an acid test hasn't been done on it but just by judging on the color and wear I'm thinking it's at least 18 kt. It was a nice surprise as my goldfinds have really dropped off the last few years . :detecting: :crossfingers:

leslie(nova scotia)
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....you slew the dragon St. George.....great outing! <;)

jkress
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
:peace: Love the gold!! :perfect10: Congrats on a great keeper.
The lock is a fun one for the collection too.

If you don't mind... I've got some questions regarding coil performance on the Explorer. PM's soon. :cheesysmile:

Cheap Thrills
12-19-2012, 01:00 AM
:peace: Love the gold!! :perfect10: Congrats on a great keeper.
The lock is a fun one for the collection too.

If you don't mind... I've got some questions regarding coil performance on the Explorer. PM's soon. :cheesysmile:

Thanks Joe ,

I'll be looking forward to your PM's . I always like comparing notes on the Explorer SE's . I'm sure I will learn some good stuff from you . thumbsup01

From the land of the Bluenose.....you slew the dragon St. George.....great outing! <;)

Thanks Leslie ,

Yes , every once in a while the dirt spits something good at me . :happy: thumbsup01

buck57
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Great medallion there Cheap Thrills. :perfect10:. What a way to about finish out the year. :congrats:

Fire Fighter 43
12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Very nice congrats on some nice finds, I really like the old lock, WTG |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks buck57 and FireFighter43 . thumbsup01 Hopefully we all can squeeze in another good find before this rapidly fading year ends . :detecting: :yes:

Cheap Thrills
12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
The St. George medallion acid tested at a strong 18K and weighed in at 8.6 Grams . :bananadance:
Here's a couple of more shots .

HAPPY NEW YEAR !! :beerbuddy:

CODY
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
WOW the medallion is awesome. Thats an old railroad lock you got there. I am posting a picture of one I found. The letters are usually on the loop. Great finds.[attach=1][attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

dalewestaby
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
that is one amazing gold piec!!!

Cheap Thrills
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for posting the great photos and the info on your padlock Cody . Man , that is a sweet one , love those rivets !! :perfect10:

Thanks Dale , that was a great thrill for me . :happy: It almost had me dancing around like little bunny foo foo
( that line still cracks me up ) . rofl

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!! :beerbuddy:

Thiltzy
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
:wow:Gratz on the 18k! Very cool old lock as well :congrats:

Cheap Thrills
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
:wow:Gratz on the 18k! Very cool old lock as well :congrats:

Thanks Thilzy, I meant to thank you last year but you know how time flies . lol Hope you have a great year ! :detecting: :beerbuddy:

tanacat
01-09-2013, 07:38 AM
|:cheering: :perfect10: :clapping:

Love the lock and gold medallion!!! I missed these before... glad you updated it- the pic is much better :beerbuddy:

Cheap Thrills
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks tana thumbsup01 I wish you and your's a Happy New Year . :beerbuddy:

&quot:beerbuddy:aba of yesteryear lol