PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Eagle Button

Bell-Two
12-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Found this today at field site, everything else at this spot has been mid 1800's. It is an Eagle Button, no back mark, the shank is made right into the back piece. Seen some similar ones but none like this.

Full Metal Digger
12-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Very interesting button Tony. I've not seen one with that kind of construction before. I hope one of the button gurus is able to ID it for you. Maybe it's really rare and valuable! Merry Christmas to you and Diane and HH, Dave.

Bell-Two
12-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Very interesting button Tony. I've not seen one with that kind of construction before. I hope one of the button gurus is able to ID it for you. Maybe it's really rare and valuable! Merry Christmas to you and Diane and HH, Dave.

Thanks Dave and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

del
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
hey Tony its definately a Federal General Staff officer's button but placing it to the time will be a little difficult can you positively count the number of stars around the eagle , from your picture it looks like it could be 23 or 24 so i'm un sure.

Bell-Two
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Does the number of stars represent the number of states at the time of issue?

hey Tony its definately a Federal General Staff officer's button but placing it to the time will be a little difficult can you positively count the number of stars around the eagle , from your picture it looks like it could be 23 or 24 so i'm un sure.

Bell-Two
12-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Del as best as I can see I can definetly see 23 stars but it may be 24 because of the crease in the button makes it hard to see. I might do a bit more cleaning to see if I can bring out anymore detail.

del
12-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Does the number of stars represent the number of states at the time of issue?

not necesarily , from the construction and the turret style attachment loop i'm pretty confident its post Civil War but could of been in use around the Spanish-American War era.

Bell-Two
12-21-2012, 09:58 AM
not necesarily , from the construction and the turret style attachment loop i'm pretty confident its post Civil War but could of been in use around the Spanish-American War era.

del I cleaned it up more and definitely 24 stars, I have had some responses from friends and on other websites that it is a Staff Officers button from the Indian Wars era. I am in the process of searching to determine if any of the residents of this property were in the service during that time period. Here are some better pictures

del
12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
heres a link , you'll find info a bit of info on the turret style crimped brass backs in the article.

Dan

http://inkspotantiques.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=1