PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity - Sov GT Question

z118
04-11-2010, 08:58 AM
As I have gained expereince on the Sov, I have tended to hunt with the sensitivity progressively higher. In general, I'm inclined to turn the sensitivity as high as I can while maintaining a steady threshold and without too much nulling. Lately, this is usually around 1 or 2 o'clock on the Sov GT sensitivity knob. I'm starting to wonder though - might this higher sensitivity ever prevent me from making finds? In particular at one sight I have been hitting lately - almost all signals break and it seems like there is small iron everywhere. I'm wondering if maybe the higher sensitivity with make the smaller junk more visible to the Sov and lead to more masked good targets. Whereas maybe if i turned the sensitivty down only the good targets would be picked up. Thoughts?

angellionel
04-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I had the sensitivity on my GT set mostly at the 12:00 to 1:00 position, sometimes selecting 11:00 at sites where mineralization tended to be a problem, or 2:00 when detecting out in the woods. When working parks with the GT I found that having too high a sensitivity setting would cause it to false too much and too often, making it harder to hear the weak signals of deep small targets through the ongoing chatter.

As you noted, turning the sensitivity up as high as possible while maintaining a relatively steady threshold would generally be the best way to work the machine at most sites.