PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Seated Dime other coins

midas
12-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Went out to a site that I've hunted dozens of times in the past 40 years. The place has recently (past few years) been historically preserved by the town using state funds. Historically preserved means cutting trees, building a bandstand, bringing in dirt (up to 8 inches or more) and planting new grass and trees, etc. Who cares what coins and relics are destroyed forever!!!!!!! At least the park looks pretty and modern.
Found an area about 10 x 20 feet with still original ground. I guess they forgot to preserve that area.
1st hit was a wheat at 4 inches, indian at 6, some clad, a barber dime 6 inches, a half dime 5 inches, some more clad, last signal of the day (getting dark, temp at 36 with wind) at 8 inches a beautiful seated dime (looks like it just came from the mint). Not a bad 2 hour hunt.

Thiltzy
12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
They want to historically preserve the name, who cares what's actually in the historic ground 8/
Great saves on some gorgeous coins.

aloldstuff
12-21-2012, 08:28 AM
They were thinking of you when they forgot to put the fill in that on spot. Some great finds :congrats:

JTGOLD
12-21-2012, 08:51 AM
awsome finds,wtg.

RobW
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Very nice recoveries John :clapping:

What town did you say that was in? lol

del
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
:clapping: :clapping: congrats on some great coin saves John |:cheering: |:cheering:

dalewestaby
12-21-2012, 12:09 PM
nice finds! Yeah ive been to old parks too that have been landscaped with feet of of filll. \:hammer:

Tony Two-Cent
12-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow! Some incredible finds there! :loveit:

That 1857 seated dime is absolutely breathtaking! :drool:

I love the half dime too! That's a really old US silver coin, and the hole gives it character.

Congrats on the amazing finds!

:perfect10:

mike l
12-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Got to hit those spots before they are preserved. I can't tell you how many times i've found a sweet looking spot on historic areials only to find it covered in black top when I get there>:#. Great saves on some nice old coins :peace:

swamp yankee
12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Went out to a site that I've hunted dozens of times in the past 40 years. The place has recently (past few years) been historically preserved by the town using state funds. Historically preserved means cutting trees, building a bandstand, bringing in dirt (up to 8 inches or more) and planting new grass and trees, etc. Who cares what coins and relics are destroyed forever!!!!!!! At least the park looks pretty and modern.
Found an area about 10 x 20 feet with still original ground. I guess they forgot to preserve that area.
1st hit was a wheat at 4 inches, indian at 6, some clad, a barber dime 6 inches, a half dime 5 inches, some more clad, last signal of the day (getting dark, temp at 36 with wind) at 8 inches a beautiful seated dime (looks like it just came from the mint). Not a bad 2 hour hunt.
Good thing you came along to save the seated from the preservationists would have been entombed forever,looks great.H.H. and many more next year......

midas
12-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Good thing you came along to save the seated from the preservationists...

After seeing all the historical damage these so called historians, preservationists, etc. do to a magnificent old site, I've come to the conclusion that they are not truly interested in preserving history and historical artifacts. They only want to desecrate these sites and make them look modern and new. These people are only in a social club and relish the kudos they get for preserving history. I saw an old meeting house in the country and stopped to metal detect. The ground is original, and in the 2 hours I pulled 2 large cents, 1 indian, 2 barber dimes. I was approached by a woman from the Historical Society and was told private property. She bragged about how this site is going to be preserved. They will build a new carriage house, put an addition on the 1730 meeting house, put in a parking lot. I offered to metal detect the site to recover artifacts before the ground breaking and donate everything except for a few coins to the society museum. She took my number and was going to bring it up to the committee. I contacted her 3 times to no avail. Passed by the site last week, spanking new carriage house, parking lot. What a crime!

dpdave38
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Very nice, I can't wait till I find my first Seated coin. :congrats:

Dave

milco
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Sweet recoveries! Only MDers and archi's truly understand what lies beneath the dirt!

CODY
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
That is one sweet looking coin. :congrats: