PDA

View Full Version : Good and not so good

bob_e99
12-21-2012, 08:08 AM
In my last post I had honestly thought metal detecting was done for the year but mother nature is fickled and has been nice for the past few days. Thursday morning I got up feeling pretty bad :sick: so I headed to the doctor's office. After I was done I noticed that it wasn't a bad day and despite not bringing all my backup gear I decided to try a hunt. I picked a common that had a back end of trees and noticed a dirt pile of rich dark earth freshly deposited (had to be Wednesday because Tuesday we had heavy rain and there was no indication that this pile got wet). The pile was about five feet high and I managed to pull out a couple of clad dimes along with two well worn mercuries. I can't tell you how much I wanted to spread that pile out. Moving on I found more clad and then got a nice signal near a tree and about 10 inches down under a root I found a worn draped bust. I was so psyched. A bit later after some more clad, I found my very first indian head :happy: and I was beyond ecstatic.

And now the not so good. A very friendly person came up to me and explained that I couldn't metal detect there because the town had an ordinance preventing the disturbance of the ground on any public land. :girlcry: He did say that he hoped I found something good while I had the chance. I didn't say anything but thanked him and walked away happy and sad all at the same time.

Thanks for looking.

z118
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Wow, congrats on a fantastic hunt! That's a nice old IH for your first. The silver is great and throw in a large cent... WOW!

I would definitely check out the town website and see if you find anything posted about an ordinance preventing the disturbance of the ground. That seems a little fishy to me. See if you can find the section for the parks dept, they usually have a list of rules. If you don't see it there I would certainly give that spot another try.

aloldstuff
12-21-2012, 08:31 AM
That Draped Bust would have been the coin that jot me all excited. Check out that ordinance and if that ordinace is in place does it include dirt piles?

JTGOLD
12-21-2012, 08:57 AM
that is some nice finds,wtg.

RobW
12-21-2012, 09:18 AM
That Draped Bust would have been the coin that jot me all excited. Check out that ordinance and if that ordinace is in place does it include dirt piles?

I couldn't agree with Al more on everything he said :yes:

Those are some awsome finds :clapping:

dalewestaby
12-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Great finds, i havent found a large cent yet, but Ide take one like that any day :boxing:

CODY
12-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Great finds, congrats! thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
12-22-2012, 09:29 PM
A draped bust large cent would be a find of a lifetime for me! Not to mention an 1863 fatty Indian Head! Wow!

Too bad about the local ordinance, but there are plenty of other places to hunt.

Congrats on the wonderful finds, Bob! :clapping: