PDA

View Full Version : Percent of clads found are ??

Perry
12-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi All: Sitting inside with the temp outside at 20 and the detector hung up.
what is the % of each (Clad) coin you found this year ??
I wonder if our finds reflect coin usage ??

to start here is my breakdown //

total 158 clads (not counting pennies or other stuff)
quarters 48 = 30%
dimes 77 = 49%
nickels 33 = 21%
Perry

POKIE73
12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
it all depends on where you hunt i go to a old park that has been hunted hard very seldom do you find anything new most of my finds are from the 40s and older at a another park in the next town down the road i almost get clad very seldom a wheatie or a silver dennis

Lowjiber
12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure one could ever pin it down. We (MD'ers) simply don't find a large enough sample to make a judgement, albeit still fun to speculate.

I can imagine plenty of variables. Since we're only talking clad, here are a few I thought of rather quickly:

I noticed you omitted Zincolns. Like you, I simply don't dig 'em.

Some coins are easier to lose out of a pocket than others. Quarters seem to be harder to lose than dimes, for example.

Nickels are tough. Since they often fall in the same detector range as junk, I think many folks overlook and/or ignore them. An Ace 250's range, for example, is pretty tight in the middle of the scale, and a coin shooter is likely to forego digging them. (Your results may vary.) However, machines such as the V3's, with a much wider discrimination range can id them pretty easily. Either way, the find/usage data is skewed.

The list goes on...

Perry
12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Im sure the find rate will vary from place to place // I have only hunted local beaches, parks, roadsides, and a few cellar holes/// yet to get a pre 1900 coin// Now I have a fellow to hunt with I hope to do better //

I think the nickel is the hardest to get so I concentrait on them and try not to loose any///
All great fun // Perry

Dimeman
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I mostly hunt parks and schools, which have a range being built in the 1920's up until the late 1970's so I get lots of clad.

So far this year in clad coins:
984 quarters
936 dimes
523 nickels and
906 pennies

I have dug close to 100 older wheats, a few IH's, some older nickels and between 60-80 silver coins this year.
I have used a Fisher F5 almost all year, although I own a Garrett AT Pro, I only used it 3 or 4 times this year.